Thursday, May 27, 2021

New Product, Groceries, Dinner

 As I passed/rolled by a shelf on my way to something else, I stopped and backed up. On the shelf was a beloved product in a new form, a squeeze bottle instead of a can--Eagle Brand Sweetened Condensed Milk. Love It! However, I only used it years ago in a recipe called Go Go Bars. 

I found this several months ago and meant to ask--Do you ever use Eagle Brand condensed milk for anything? Have you seen it in a squeeze bottle? Ever made Go Go Bars? For what do you use Eagle Brand?

On Wednesday, I decided to get what I wanted for Monday mainly slaw mix and celery. 

slaw

celery

Grillmates Applewood seasoning

something slse

Total was $10.44

I earned $0.50 off since I am a senior.

There are ribs in the freezer, but tonight I could not locate them without causing an avalanche. I did find chunks of turkey breast that I will use instead of the ribs if I cannot find them with Tommy's help.

Dinner Wednesday night:

baked chicken

slaw

corn on the cob

I intended to put bbq sauce on the chicken since bbq and slaw go together so well, but I forgot. 

Thursday is starting slowly.  I think we will go to the bread store. Maybe we will clean out a few things from the dining room, things that have been there a decade. It will take both of us. So, I passed it by him and that is what the plan is. He likes to watch Jeopardy at 3 pm, so after the news is over at noon, we will buy bread and pick up a prescription for him. That will leave little time for working, but it will be more time than I can stand up anyway, so little time is okay. 

Vidalia onions are in the stores. I need to buy about ten pounds and dehydrate them. I have so many in the freezer that this year I will forego buying so many Vidalia. I do think I need chocolate ice cream, though. 

Diner tonight will be baked chicken and vegetables, just have not decided which. 

Are you a user of Eagle Brand Sweetened Condensed milk? How do you use it?

23 comments:

  1. I MAKE KEY LIME PIE WITH SWEETENED CONDENSED MILK. I love that you NEED chocolate ice cream! I have a key sticking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kim,
      Key Lime sounds delicious right now. Yes, I have my needs, too. I wondered why you were yelling...lol. I figured that was excitement.

      Delete
  2. I use Eagle Brand Sweetened Condensed milk in a couple of different desserts. One right off the top of my head is Seven Layer Cookie Bars. I usually make them around Christmas because they freeze so well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lori,
      I think the Seven Layer Cookie Bar is like Go Go bars. I will look and see.

      Delete
  3. LORI,
    It is the same recipe except I do not put butter, butterscotch or nuts in Go Go Bars. With three kids who loved these, I never got around to freezing any, but that is good to know.

    ReplyDelete
  4. One of the bad things about getting old is you forget things. We are 80 and 85 at our house, and though I definitely remember bringing Eagle Brand Sweetened Condensed Milk home from the grocery store occasionally in days gone by, neither one of us can remember why. We never heard of Go-Go Bars, so it wasn’t them. If if comes to me I will let you know!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have never heard of go go bars before so I have no idea if I have made them by a different name or not.
    I use condensed milk for some pies and used to make danger pudding but now the cans are lined so I don't make it anymore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne,
      Now, the product is in the plastic container. What, pray tell, is danger pudding? It must be delicious.

      Delete
  6. I use Eagle Brand sweetened condensed milk for several desserts, including Key Lime pie, pumpkin pie, tres leches cake, and macaroons. It's a pantry staple in our house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meg,
      Those all sound delicious! But, it was only used for one thing that I can remember around my house.

      Delete
  7. I use Eagle Brand Condensed milk with chocolate chips and confectioners sugar for quick fudge at Christmas. I never got the fudge made because the chocolate chips somehow ended up getting snacked down during someone's chocolate crave. I've still got the Eagle brand in the cabinet. I never heard of Go Go Bars before, I bet they are good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. susie,
      I do understand the chocolate crave and snacking on chocolate chips! I will publish the recipe tomorrow.

      Delete
  8. I use Eagle Brand in a homemade ice cream recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carol,
      I have read recipes for ice cream with Eagle Brand in it. I bet it is good.

      Delete
  9. I am interested in learning more about the squirt bottle. I buy one can a year to make apricot/coconut candies for my daughter at Christmas. The recipe does not call for a full can so I waste about 1/2 a can each Dec. Personally I do not enjoy the taste of sweetened condensed milk and avoid Key Lime Pie because of the after taste. Everyone else I know likes the flavor of sweetened condensed milk. I do like evaporated milk in strong, sweetened hot tea.

    Remember my story of the car that stank after the milk spilled? I can actually top that story. When my 2nd husband and I got married I had a bill I was paying off to a collection agency from my previous teenage husband defaulting on a purchase/payment. I paid it faithfully each month and when it came to the last payment I went into the office in case there was any paperwork to be completed. Come to find out there was a $25 OVER PAYMENT! O Yeah! Surprise money! I decided to celebrate buy buying lobsters. I drove to a small market that carried fresh sea food and bought 2. (I remember the transaction very clearly because the gentleman did not charge me enough. When I brought it to his attention he was super grateful since it was his son's store and he was just filling in.) Anyway I placed my purchase on the bench seat and drove home. Upon my arrival I discovered that the package had leaked and soaked into the webbing of the center seatbelt. I scrubbed, scrubbed & scrubbed some more but to no avail. Whenever it was hot weather that stink would reappear. UGGGGGG

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Janet,
      It is on the aisle with other canned milk products. That is so horrible about the lobster smell in the car. I can barely stand the smell of seafood in a refrigerated case in the grocery. I would have had to abandon that car...lol. That overpayment was a really good surprise!

      Delete
  10. I use sweetened condensed milk in my mother-in-law's recipe for hot fudge - it's delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hot fudge sauce, fudge, caramel, Key Lime, lemon tart, Cuban coffee, no bake cheesecake, bread pudding, and ice cream... I know that's just off the top of my head. I haven't seen it in a squeeze tube.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chef,
      You do use it for a lot of things! It is not a tube, just a bottle like chocolate syrup.

      Delete
  12. I just pulled the ribs out of the freezer in anticipation of rubbing and marinating and grilling.

    ReplyDelete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...