Saturday, May 29, 2021

Plants, Food

 



This is such a pretty plant, Autumn Sedum Joy. At first all the blossoms are green, then it gradually turns from a pale pink, to darker pink and finally to a dark, dusty pink. The one above is in transition. It has beautiful seed pods all winter and pretty stalks. 

I had an Autumn Sedum Joy for twenty years until I didn't. It seems they are all gone when I get to Lowe's or wherever. So, when I found plants at the the Festhalle for only $2.99, I was very happy. 

Something else was trying to grow in the pot, also. Maybe a weed? I had them home for a week and outside. Thursday, I decided I would get the weeds before they really took hold. The little leaves were all less than 1/4 inch across. I put my fingers on the first two leaves, ready to pull, and recoiled. Those leaves were succulent leaves! So, it now appears I now have over a dozen tiny sedum plants. I will put them in pots, three or four at a time. I feel so lucky! 

Obviously, this plant was overwintered in the pot in which I bought it. I am glad she did not transplant it or pull the green leaves that really were about the size of a grain of rice. I got a bargain. 

Friday night, I asked Tommy if he wanted more chicken or a hot dog. Surprisingly, he said hot dog and then, "I have had enough chicken lately." That surprised me. I should have put bbq sauce on the chicken the night I forgot to do so. Oh, well. I thawed hotdogs and boiled potatoes he peeled and heated half a can of peas. He said he loved the peas and potatoes because as a child they had mashed potatoes and peas.  He did have to mash his own potatoes on his plate. 

As a matter of fact, when I was a child we had peas and mashed potatoes in the same meal often, too. Mama would put potatoes on our plate with a recess in the center made by a spoon. Then, she put green peas, English peas, in the recess, and that is how we ate them. Sometimes, we would have gravy over our peas. It was a "bird's nest."  That thought appealed to little children...lol. Did you have peas in a nest of mashed potatoes when you were young?

With the rest of the potatoes, I made potato salad for myself. It was heaven. It is getting late on Saturday, so I have things to do. Food for the big day is on my mind and should be at my fingertips. And, I need to repot these sedum. 




14 comments:

  1. Mother would peel the potatoes, cut them in pieces, boil, cook & drain. Then we would mash the boiled potatoes on our plate. Top with butter & eat them that way. I tried that on my own kids and they always wanted me to mash the potatoes while they were in the pan! Ha
    Daddy usually had lots of English peas in his garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. jpaark22,
      Mama always made mashed potatoes, seasoning with salt, milk, and butter. Then, it was spooned onto the plate. They are better than just mashing on the plate...lol, but more trouble, I guess. We never had English peas in our garden, not sure why.

      Delete
  2. We always had green peas and I was always delegated to removing the peas from their pods. They taste so good, fresh from the garden, that I would eat a handful at a time. My mom would yell at me to save some for dinner. She (as do I) would make creamed peas with a white sauce that we would pour onto our boiled potatoes. My husband had never had it and didn't think he would like it, but after eating it, he was a bit surprised at how good it tasted.It's hard to get fresh peas and I do not have any type of garden, but have also made it using frozen green peas, and find it tastes pretty close to fresh. One of my favorites that I don't make often enough. Ranee (MN)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rae,
      I have never heard of that dish. Thanks for that. Since I am allergic to peas, I will never know how good it is. Yes, the allergist said I was allergic.

      Delete
    2. I remember creamed peas. I probably would like now, but didn't as a child.

      Delete
    3. SAM,
      Maybe it is time to see if it is good now...lol.

      Delete
  3. I eat my peas with honey
    I’ve done it all my life
    It makes my peas taste funny
    But it keeps them on the knife

    A cute rhyme I learned as a kid 60 years ago!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I used to mix the peas into the mash. I hated mash and would do anything to try to make it better. The peas didn't improve it but it was the only option!
    I don't hate mash any more. It's delicious if it's made right.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. kylie,
      I am allergic to the peas, so no wonder I did not like them.

      Delete
  5. Oh, yes, we have mashed potatoes and peas with certain meals too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Belinda,
      I suppose this is a classic, especially with mothers giving this to children.Thanks.

      Delete
  6. I was never much of a green pea fan and am still not, though I would eat them every Sunday afternoon as a kid. Mom had the same Sunday dinner every afternoon right after church. Roast, green peas, rice, and tossed salad. My Beloved Sister could not stomach the peas and would pretend to eat them, hide them in her napkin then would dump them in the trash after we finished eating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne,
      The dinner sounds like one that is easily put on the table, something mothers like...lol. I ate peas until I was eight and then told my mother I was not going to eat them because I did not like them. I had dutifully eaten them forever. I had to whisper to my mother that I did not like them so that three younger siblings would not stop eating them, too. Then, I find out when I was in my sixties, that I am allergic to them as is one daughter.

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...