Tuesday, May 4, 2021

Small Economies

Buying Soft Soap is not something I am willing to do often. Sure, I can get it for $1 apiece. But, I like free soap. I refuse to buy the refills. So, today, I used Suave Essential Sun-Ripened Strawberry Shampoo to refill my small pump bottle for Soft Soap. It has strawberry extract and Vitamin E. It really smells good and washed my hands nicely. This is the pump soap I keep at the kitchen sink to wash my hands. Dawn is there, also, in case I have touched meat or my hands are greasy. The bottle of Suave was free, so I wash my hands for free! And, it smells delicious. 

Both pair of my very old black pants needed mending. One pair had a run in the back on the left side about six inches below my waist, and the other pair was coming apart at the back center seam. Plus, one had a small hole in the front of the leg. Now, both pair are no longer holey. 

I had no needles when I moved here. I asked Tommy if he had a needle for hand sewing. He brought me a cute little tin with sewing supplies. His mother last used them 57 years ago. The needles were sharp and smooth with no burrs or rust. So, I did not need to buy a needle. 

When I bought vine-ripened tomatoes on the vine, I cut one for dinner. I did eat half of it. It was so awful, I had no intention of eating anymore of it. Tommy ate the other half the next day.  He did not like it, either. Monday, I took the other two tomatoes on the vine back to Publix and got a refund on all three since I had my receipt.  They were $1.85. So, that went back into my pocket. 

The bread with October 5 date molded, so that went back and I did not have to throw it away and lose money. We still had more than a half of the loaf left. 

A neighbor mowed the yard because Tommy cannot. That is a huge economy!

Drying clothes in the house saves money, so I do. Until I get a dryer rack, Towels and such do need the dryer. I save where I can. 

This next item is saving me from eating soybean oil and it saves money. I have a 3.58 ounce bottle of Alessi olive oil that may or may not be good olive oil. I have read in the past that Alessi had sold adulterated olive oil and passed it off as virgin. 

I like Kraft Italian dressing, but I brought home Kraft Zesty Italian. Well, there is too much zest for me. So, I had about three inches left of olive oil in this tiny bottle. I managed to get out the bottom part of the zesty dressing and added it to the olive oil. Now, I can have just a little zest and much less soybean and canola oil.  So, it is a little economy. 

We are under a tornado watch until 8 pm tonight. Since it is after noon, maybe I should change from my nightgown and into real clothing. This is a threadbare white cotton, knit gown, so it would be like a fully body wet tshirt if I were out in a ditch. 

Okay, time to cook dinner. Do you count small economies and are happy for the savings.


6 comments:

  1. A terrible storm went through here. I am ready for tornado season to be over.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cindy,
      It was terrible with such horrible lightning! Thankfully, there was no flooding here, but some people hd to be evacuated. We did everything we wanted/needed to do, planning to stay home today. Nothing could have induced me to go out in the torrents.

      Delete
  2. I think having a garden is a small economy. Some people may not because of all of the time spent tending it. But the enjoyment received for taking care of the garden surely counts for something. My husband has put out 28 (or so) tomato plants, green onions, squash, poblano peppers, green peppers, hot peppers, and several other things. I don't really eat veggies, but he loves the tomatoes and also has plenty to give away. We supplied three neighbors with tomatoes all last summer plus took dozens of bags to church to share. (we were meeting outdoors last year -and socially distanced - for a Sunday school class)

    We also look for deals on things we would purchase anyway. We have been married for almost 10 years and dated for two years before that and have ALWAYS had a weekly date night. Even since married. It was always Friday night before. But we've changed to Tuesday in the several months because Buffalo Wild Wings has buy one get one free traditional wings. We like them because they have no breading, so no carbs. They are fried in beef tallow, so no processed seed oils. And 'date night' fills us up for less than $20.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alice, I think having a garden qualifies as a small economy. I love tomatoes! Oh, to have a neighbor like you two!

      Changing date night to take advantage of prices seems like another small economy. I do not like wings, so am unfamiliar with any kind of wings, but I will keep this in mind if Tommy ever wants wings. Thanks. Date night is a great idea, a good tradition.

      Delete
  3. We live out in the country and it is not worth it to take small things back. Besides our neighbors have chickens and with the exceptions of onions (onions make the eggs taste funny) eat about everything so I can feed them

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ann,I live a mile from the store, and, still, I only go back when I am going to shop again. I had chickens and never gave mine onions, either. I wish I had chickens again.

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...