Tuesday, May 25, 2021

Spilled Milk

 This is post is interrupting a very fruitful Monday. I feel well, too, rested. Of course, I can do little and be exhausted. 

Saturday night, I was exhausted from the trip to Cullman and I could not nap, just lay there. For dinner for Tommy, I cooked the three bell peppers and a huge onion.  I put about 10 meatballs in a little casserole, 7x7", put almost all the peppers and onions on top and topped that with more than half a jar of Bertolli Three Cheese Sauce. He really liked it. I ate about a half cup of the sauce and could barely finish it. I was exhausted. 

It was good to have a dishwasher. But, I did not stack them right and some would not go into that load. So, now it is time to do it again as soon as I unload it, a real problem. Still, it is better than standing to wash. That needs to be done today. ugh


Groceries today: 

organic Rosemary 

grapes

bananas

pasta salad with lots of spinach!

5 ears yellow corn 5/$2

$23.00

I went for bananas. I bought two pounds of white grapes. I did not realize I bought organic grapes for $4.99/lb. Plus, before I discovered that, I found out that the other grapes had been pruned so that I only got tiny bunches out with 4 grapes per stem, and some are going off. 

We ate in the park again--chicken, pasta salad, grapes. 

The rosemary was cheaper than one at Lowe's and it is very small. I did not need the tree I bought last year. This one will grow.

Monday, I tried three times to take a nap. I just could not and was not resting, either. I had two hours sleep on Friday night and a bit more on Sunday night. I heard a noise like a bomb went off, heard Tommy screaming a string of expletives I have never heard from him before. I ran to the kitchen to find him standing over a burst gallon of milk. He had put a gallon of milk in his freezer and then it fell out as he went back to put soft drinks in there.  I said to put towels in it. I came back and he was fluttering down paper towels. I meant to use the dishtowels. 

The milk was running under the refrigerator and he was saying he would get it up. But, he was tending to the part three feet in front of the refrigerator. I tried rescuing my scales and he slopped milk all inside it. I just know it is going to ruin it. He swore no milk got inside, so I turned it on the side as it ran out. He grabbed it and said he would clean it off. His little swipes here and there were flinging milk all over. I just took the scales and cleaned them. 

He used two rolls of paper towels when two bath towels or lots of dishtowels would have done a faster and better job. It must have been ten minutes before he ever attended to milk at the front of the refrigerator, I left him to clean between the counter and refrigerator because he would not listen to me. So, I sat. In the case of all the milk, I certainly did not care he used two rolls of paper towels. 

Before I left, I got out this little cheap, Swiffer-looking thing and soaked up milk. I left it with him and a little tub with and inch of water on his walker and showed him how to use it, telling him to pour the water in the sink and get more. Well, he came into the living slopping milky water all over the carpet, swearing he spilled nothing from the almost full tub, not an inch like I told him. sigh

The floor dried slippery. I told him any milk would dry so slick we could fall down, so get it all up. But, the milk was dry and slippery. Sooo, I cleaned the sponge on the Swiffer-like mop, put  a little Dawn on it and mopped the floor over and over, rinsing often. The mop head is detached and drying on the ramp right now. I washed the tub. This morning, without me saying  a word, he said he was going to put all the towels in the washing machine. I washed the container holding the milky items, since I did throw a couple of towels down to try to stanch the flow of milk going under the refrigerator. 

I suppose he thought I would be angry. No, but he was angry. It all got finished at last! We were both exhausted! 

We have been enjoying the strawberries from the market. I may make the strawberry poke cake I have been talking about forever. I have to find room in the refrigerator for it before I start it. 

Did you know that milk dries slippery on the floor? I have never spilled a gallon of milk. Have you?


10 comments:

  1. No milk but I dropped an entire full glass quart of honey once. That made an awful sticky mess

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ann,
    That is my nightmare every time I handle my quart of honey in a glass jar. But, I think it might be preferable to milk...lol. At least honey would not spread so fast. I paid $16 for my honey so the cost would be horrifying. Now, I will be extra careful with my honey. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My dad was a beekeeper and all I could think about was all the trips the bees took to make that honey and it went to waste/

      Delete
  3. My kitchen floor is so slick anyway, it does not need any extra help in being slippery.Yikes, I did not know milk did that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cindy,
      I understand. Yes, I have slipped and almost fallen on milk dried on the floor. Most of the time, I was not the one who spilled it.

      Delete
  4. Many years ago we used to go to a dairy for milk in glass bottles. We would buy 4 quart bottles that came in a metal carrier. I would drive home with the carrier stored in the floor behind the driver's seat. A bottle broke as we were getting out of the car and milk filled that carpet covered foot area. We mopped it up and the next day I scrubbed it clean. About 3 days later it began to STINK For weeks I scrubbed and sprinkled baking soda until the stench finally dissipated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Janet,
      What a horror story. I can imagine the stench. I wonder why the bottle broke.

      Delete
  5. We used to get raw milk in gallon jugs from the farm. My mom had two bang together in the back of the car and they broke and the milk soaked the carpet. we could never get that spoiled milk smell out of that car so we had to scrap it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kim,
      I read this to Tommy and he groaned largely. I can imagine the smell in heat of the summer! I prefer glass but plastic has advantages.

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...