Friday, May 21, 2021

Stupid, Stupid Tech

Food bought on Tuesday:

3 24-packs Dasani
bottle Kraft Zesty Italian
raspberry jam
2 8-oz blocks Kraft Medium Cheddar Cheese
1 deli chicken breast

Tommy had a coupon for a free 24-pack of Dasani water. Publix had Dasani bogo, $5.75. I used the free coupon and paid $5.75 for one pack and got another free. So, I walked out with three 24-packs for $6.28. I can live with that price, a bit over $2  for 24 bottles of water.  Then, I went into the other store I like to go to and found Dasani for $3.99.  However, it was not bogo. And, I thought I missed a good deal until just now. 

I am beginning to suspect that $3 is the cheapest I am going to find my favorite cheese, Kraft Medium Cheddar.. So, I got 2, hoping to find more at a better price later. If I find it cheaper, I will buy six. 

The Kraft Zesty Italian has a Dec. 21 date, so it will be here when I need it. I forgot how much I paid for it and I am too tired to find a receipt. 

I bought raspberry jam for a recipe. Unfortunately, I was supposed to buy apricot jam! Urspo had a recipe that called for Onion Soup Mix, 12 oz. Zesty Italian Dressing, and 8 oz. Apricot Jam. Mix together and pour over chicken and bake. Now, I will have to buy Apricot Jam. And, I think the recipe called for heating it first. Maybe I have some Apricot jam. But, I never buy jellies or jams. I don't know where on his blog is the recipe. I was going to try it, but now have to come up with Apricot Jam. 

When I had my eye exam last week, I was told the glasses I have been wearing had the line for the progressive bifocals higher on one lens than the other. I went back to the first optometrist. The person at the desk said that sometimes one pupil was higher than the other. I asked her why it moved.  She said that the pupil can sometimes be higher or lower. I asked her why that it moved. She said it just happens. I asked her why that this office was the only office that deals with eyes that had found this "moving" pupil. Finally, I could not stand at the desk any longer and told her I was leaving and she could figure out how this all happened. She is going to call me and see what they can do for me. ???

Have you ever heard of a randomly moving pupil? This is the same office where the progressive line was put on an angle....because my glasses were on crooked on my face! Stupid tech! I may talk to Medicare about this problem since Medicare paid for this and I thought my vision was really terrible! When I had the eye exam last week, I was told my vision had changed little from three or four years ago. 

Ordinarily, I would have yelled at the people taking the duck from the lake to put it down. But, the way people will shoot at others nowadays, I decided discretion was the better part of valor. A duck in the group of ducks was chasing the people, trying to get them to put their friend or family member down. We gave up the chase of the car and reported the theft. 

The ducks and geese are not "owned" by the city. The ducks just choose to live there. But, removing an animal seems wrong. It makes me think the people are up to no good. The duck had a family group where he lived. 

While I was not able to pick up any scrap wood from my friend, I did deliver what I had to the carpenter. Now, he can finish my project. Thursday will be spent in gluing. It is going to be to windy to spray paint. No, glued nothing on Thursday. 

Today, Thursday, the plumber came to see why the washing machine was not draining. An hour or so and $189 later, I think it is draining. This dishwasher has been out of commission for over a month.  I am quite sure Tommy is relieved not to have to dry dishes anymore. Except, he was not happy about the cost. I am relieved not to have to wash them, hanging onto the sink, leaning hard to stay up and not fall. 

The rest of the day will be gluing, spray painting, napping, loading dishwasher. A nap is a priority.  The plumber said he would be here between 8 am and 8:30 and arrived just before 9 am. So, I missed a good hour of sleep. Thursday--I only took a nap. 

Tommy scraped/peeled two pounds of carrots and four small potatoes, I added meatballs and a spice mix for grilling--Grillmates Smokehouse Applewood seasoning. Dinner was delicious. Two of the small potatoes and the rest of the carrots and baked chicken are for Friday night. 

The weather forecast is no more rain for the rest of May--10 more days. I love that. It was in the mid-80s today. It is supposed to be in the 90s. 

Have you ever heard of moving pupils in the eye? What would you have done about the duck thieves? 

12 comments:

  1. I would have done just as you did about the duck. People shoot people too easily to confront a stranger, or if someone gets nasty verbally, it's too upsetting. Someone probably likes to eat duck. I don't know about the moving pupil.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carole,
      I didn't think about eating the duck. Bt, I was not getting into it.

      Delete
  2. I have made that Apricot chicken recipe many times. It is very forgiving. I know I've used grape jelly when I didn't have apricot and it was still delicious. My tip (haven't seen his actual recipe) is to cook it for at least half an hour longer than recommended (assuming you're using legs/thighs). I think the recipe calls for French salad dressing? In reading the reviews, I now always use Catalina.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bobbie
      Thanks. Maybe I will just use the raspberry.

      Delete
    2. The original calls for apricot jam, onion soup mix and Russian Dressing
      I've made it with other dressings and jams and it seemed OK.

      Delete
    3. Urspo,
      I suspected that might be the case, that other items would be okay to substitute. But, I wanted to try it like the recipe you gave. I suppose I will keep the raspberry. Thanks.

      Delete
  3. Maybe tried to get the duck thieves’ license plate number and report them to the city.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We got two plate numbers because Tommy said it was a red sedan. However, the people in those cars did not have on same color clothes. We pulled in beside them when they went to the bathroom. I believe it was the black car, but he would not follow them. We had lots of road in the park to drive and catch them.

      Delete
  4. Usually, the pupils in each eye dilate or constrict at the same time. When they do not, the pupils may appear to be different sizes.

    The medical term for pupils of different sizes is anisocoria. Anisocoria is a symptom of many conditions but is not a condition on its own.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Alice,
    Thanks. The doctor did not mention anything about a problem with my pupils. This was a tech trying to cover up a botched lens grinding. It is strange this only happened once in all my lens making. She lied to cover up incompetence.

    ReplyDelete
  6. People should not be shooting wild birds; I'm sure that would be a chargeable offence herein the UK.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne,
      If we could have gotten a license plate number, we could have let the police determine what bad thing they did to the duck. It is wild and we have duck season which is not now!

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...