Wednesday, June 30, 2021

My First Hummingbird

At exactly 7:20 pm, June 29, 2021, the first hummingbird came to the feeder in the front yard. Well, it was the first one I saw. The holes in the feeder seem too small, like tiny slits. I wonder if it was really feeding or just trying to feed. On Wednesday there will be two feeders there. 

I am reading up on how to attract more hummingbirds. My yard needs adjusting. It took Tommy so long to get up and to the door that he missed seeing the hummingbird. 

Tommy said he saw hummingbirds in my yard all the time. NOW he tells me. I never saw one and 1-inch black ants filled my feeders all the time. I was disgusted cleaning their dead bodies from the feeder. Finally, I gave up trying to attract hummingbirds. But, he saw them feeding from flowers. 

The casserole turned out great. Usually, I layer the vegetables, buttered bread chunks and cheese. I just dumped all the squash, zucchini, and tomatoes in the casserole, threw on the bread, and cheese. It cooked for an hour and was delicious. That was all we had for dinner. I put only two pieces of broken bread into the dish, so at least it was healthier for the lack. This was all we had for dinner. 

I did slice a zucchini and a squash for inclusion in salads. Tonight, at last I will cook the chicken and the thighs. So, a salad will probably included in the meal. 

Tommy broke the bread and sliced and chunked the cheese. He was a real help. 

So, today, he saw a hummingbird at the newer feeder.  Now, I must clean the first one and refill the newer since Tommy managed to spill the sugar water, somehow.

So, I am headed in for a nap before dinner.  Mostly, I lie down to rest and relieve my back pain. Sometimes, I sleep; often I don't.

13 comments:

  1. Hummingbirds are creatures of habit and territorial. If they find you, they will come back, and back, and back! And they will fight any others who try to sip from "their" feeder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne,
      That makes me so happy! Thanks for the encouragement.

      Delete
  2. I am a bit of a hummingbird fanatic. To keep ants out of the feeder, spray PAM on whatever it’s hanging from. I also have moats that attach to the hanging part. Fill it with water and the ants drown.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Catrina,
      Thanks. We have PAM. I might buy a cheap can just for ants. So far, I have had none, but that may end so I will stage a pre-emptive strike. One has a moat on top that holds about a Tablespoon of water! I think I will buy moats for both. I have both of them on a shepherd's crook with two hooks. I may have questions.

      Delete
  3. Janet,
    I deleted your comment accidentally. Ctrl+Z for undo in Microsoft. Sorry about the deletion of your comment. Feel free to comment the same thing again. I wrote it down this time instead of depending on my memory.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I keep a small container of 7-dust just to sprinkle around the base of the post or pole that goes into the ground where you have the feeders hanging.
    It’s a continuous job to keep the feeders clean and free from mold or trash that might get in there but we’ll worth the effort that only lasts a few summer months. Glad you finally got your first hummer. If I have an occasional wasp visit the feeders, the hummers usually go to the opposite side and drink anyway! 😂

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. jpark22,
      Yes, It is a continuous job. I have only seen one wasp there, but there were more flying close. Hope they go away. Thanks.

      Delete
  5. When I fill my hummingbird feeders I wash the outside off to make sure it is clean and I've never gotten ants. So glad they found you. They'll come back every year now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lori,
      My feeder before was always clean. There were such a lot of huge ants at my house! Thanks1

      Delete
  6. We put out a feeder and nothing. Sad...

    ReplyDelete
  7. There are no lack of hummingbirds here, they are rather aggressive and a bit pesky.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. urspo,
      I have heard they can be aggressive! I am waiting.

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...