Tuesday, June 29, 2021

My First Zoom

 Tuesday, I had my first Zoom meeting, a virtual memorial for a professor/friend who succumbed to dementia. I had absolutely no trouble doing this meeting and talking. My camera was covered as it usually is covered. But, I spoke.  It was a sad occasion as we shared stories. But, it is done. 

The hummingbird feeder was installed on Sunday. Only a wasp has been there that we have seen. So, Bummer! We have not installed the one in the backyard, yet. We will. 

Tonight, I will make a big casserole: zucchini, squash, tomato, onion, bread bits, cheese, butter. It should be delicious. I am going light on the buttered bread chunks. This dish will be a combination of the squash casserole and the zucchini casserole I usually make. 

I marched for 5 minutes and will do 5 more this evening. I only quit because I was barefoot and the ball of my foot hurt the whole time. Marching with sandals does not hurt me. 

My Android phone now has one app installed. When I went to The Pig, I asked if anyone at the office would put the Pig app on my phone. A twenty-year-old cheerfully volunteered.  I have installed apps on my stolen phone, so I know it is possible, but it seems things have changed. I got my free item. A person has to buy $10 worth of food to get the free item. That is less than I usually spend there.

A Birmingham friend from years ago is going to meet me and show me how to do all I want to do on my phone. It will be good to meet with her since we have only talked on the phone lately. She was at the zoom virtual memorial. 

For the 4th memorial for the friend, I am trying to decide what to take as it is potluck. I am trying to decide what to take. 1) brownies from mix I have, 2) Two packages of Suddenly Salad pumped up with peas and shredded carrots, 3) baked bean with 2 packages of hotdogs cut up in the dish. I have everything for each dish, so neither will cause me to go get anything.  I am favoring the hotdogs in baked beans. What do you think? 

12 comments:

  1. Which dish will be easiest for you to transport/keep warm/keep cold?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bobbie,
    Of course, I would prepare all of them on Saturday. The brownies won't spill or spoil and can be room temp. The pasta won't have to travel too far, so no refrigeration after we leave the house. It is only a 20 minute drive. The baked beans would need to be heated before we leave and don't need anything special in the way of keeping them warm. Spillage is the only worry with the beans and franks. However, I want to put them in a foil pan so sticking them on a grill, if there is one, will solve the problem of them being warm.

    I am leaning towards the baked beans and franks to provide a meat. This is the first time going to this person's house, so not sure who will bring what. For the 20 years I went to eating occasions in Birmingham, we all sort of knew who would bring what.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Will there be only adults or are children included? If there are just adults I would take the pasta, but if kids are included I would take the beanie weenies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne,
      There never were children in all the events I ever attended, but most of the people did not have little ones. Just teens and older adult children who were often there if they had nothing else to do. I am leaning towards the bean and franks. Personally, the brownies would suit me just fine!

      Delete
  4. I would love the pasta salad. With the heat and humidity cold, light food is what I seem to be eating lately.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HHH,
      Good point. I have until Saturday to decide, and I am wavering.

      Delete
  5. If it were me, I would take the brownies. Easy to transport and no need to keep them hot or cold. The concern with the beans is that anything a bit "soupy" like baked beans can be difficult to handle in a foil pan (too easy to spill).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Frances,
      I have been rethinking the foil pan. I was going to put whatever pan in a shopping bag so it is easier to carry. AND, I planned to let Tommy ride it to the door in his walker. I absolutely hate to carry foil pans to any event.

      Delete
  6. I guess it is what ever is the easiest to transport. I would do brownies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kim,
      Yeah, I like those. I just hope I can stay out of them before I deliver them!

      Delete
  7. I would go with the brownies. Many people are picky about what is in their baked beans and/or about what type of hot dogs they consume. Brownies are generally a universally-pleasing option.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debbie,
      These are box brownies, so I quite imagine that they contain some bad things, maybe worse than hotdogs, but I would rather have brownies than beans and franks.

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...