Friday, July 9, 2021

Doctor and Blood Pressure

 Almost three weeks ago, I had my blood pressure taken at a doctor's office. The person who took my blood pressure did not try to get the cuff above my elbow. She just stopped when it did not slip up easily. When she started pumping it up, It felt as if electricity flew through my arm to my fingers. The pain was so intolerable and instantaneous that I sort of screamed, not too loud. My blood pressure was really high, higher than ever before. 

Since then, I have numbness and tingling from elbow to fingertips. I am annoyed. Next time I go there, I will take my own blood pressure cuff! 

Today, I found an article by a doctor in the paper. The link below is very informative. I will take a copy of this with me from now on. 

Usually, the person taking my blood pressure is talking to me and gathering information or sticking a thermometer into my mouth (not lately) or trying to move my hair and generally being busy and expecting me to interact or sit still and follow directions. I found the following article in the paper and found it online.

DR ROACH ON BLOOD PRESSURE <-----CLICK HERE

Do you notice the person taking your blood pressure does not follow protocols? Tell me about it.

6 comments:

  1. Sometimes the CNA will ask questions during blood pressure measurement. I don't like that. Lately they have been good to change cuffs if they don't fit properly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carole,
      Good for you. Only one place has gotten a different cuff. And, they want you to think they are nurses! They should not be asking questions!

      Delete
  2. My mother hated having her blood pressure taken she always said it hurt so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kim,
      Well, it is never comfortable! But, it should not hurt. Poor thing. I wonder what they were doing wrong.

      Delete
  3. I am sorry to hear that they hurt you with the blood pressure cuff.

    When I was prepping for my second knee surgery the nurse put one of those automatic blood pressure cuffs on my arm and it started getting tighter and tighter and tighter. I told her that it was hurting my arm really bad. The b**** totally ignored what I was saying about that, but kept firing questions at me like the Spanish Inquisition. I was in such pain from that cuff continuing to get tighter that I couldn't even think to answer. I mean really in pain. I've had bone marrow removed from my pelvic bone and it didn't hurt that bad. My husband actually had to answer some of them for me. I couldn't even think straight. My arms are kind of flabby. I think that automatic machine squeezes and doesn't sense the flab, but my flab sure sensed it. I have never seen my blood pressure so high. Someone with some sense must have taken it again before the surgery and it was more normal or I don't think they would have done the surgery. The results of that blood pressure measurement were worthless. I am not lying when I say that was the most painful part of the knee replacement surgery. Of course, I was under anesthesia for the surgery, but even after the anesthetic wore off I didn't have that much pain.

    I wish I would have contacted someone to complain about that blood pressure cuff insanity, but even with taking only Tylenols for my discomfort, I just didn't have enough gumption left in me to even complain about it.

    At my doctor's office the nurses taking the blood pressure are always so good to me. They get a large cuff for me, and don't ask me questions during the procedure. One of the nurses used to speak, but she did a relaxation talk about visualizing yourself at the beach on a beautiful day, clear blue water, white sand, etc. in a very soothing voice. She had a lovely, calming voice. I always got the best blood pressure readings when she took the readings.

    I hope that the next time someone takes your blood pressure it doesn't hurt you.


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. susie,
      That was a horrible experience for you. I have had the automatic cuffs on me. There was one after surgery for me that did not hurt. My arms are not skinny, but it was all gentle. And, it was on their all day and night, until I went home. Yes, I am quite sure someone else took your blood pressure again.

      It is not too late to complain. I complained about two months after that surgery about the person who shoved me down with the wheelchair before surgery in the lobby of the hospital.

      Some nurses are just better people than others, I believe. When I point out that my blood pressure will be high because of pain in my back and walking, that I need to sit a while, I am met with different reactions. I will never allow my blood pressure to be taken below my elbow again! Thanks.

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...