Thursday, July 15, 2021

Hard and Happy Thursday

 Wednesday night, I went to sleep easily at about 2 am. My intentions were to get up at 8:30 and wash my hair, make breakfast and go to Cullman. I had things to do. Well, I awoke at 4:20 am and did not go back to sleep until 8:15. I washed my hair and bathed and made scrambled eggs and heated a sausage, and had it with a glass of milk. Tommy had 1 sausage and half a piece of bread. There was no grumbling about the sausage, thankfully. It was the Jimmy Dean patties. 

The day was beautiful with big fluffy clouds in a perfectly blue sky. The drive was uneventful. And, I had a mental list. 

  • PO
  • my house/lot
  • WDG
  • Publix
  • somewhere to eat
  • lake
  • Farmer's Market
  • Belk's
There were no surprises at the PO, and nothing urgent. We went to my place and sat a few minutes. I went to Warehouse Discount Groceries. Split fryer breasts were $.99/lb. The price seemed like a good deal even with waste of bones and skin. I decided not to go to Publix. At Belk's I returned several items and bought a blouse and dress on deep discount. Plus, I had a coupon. In Belk's I also caught up with an elected official I know. We got a little burger from Burger King and took it to the lake to eat and lingered a bit to enjoy it all. 

The Farmer's Market was the highlight of the day. I used a coupon for the market to purchase 6peaches for $6. At the eggs I purchase another dozen for $4, and got the remaining $2 of the coupon in 4 tomatoes. I always talk to this guy, a recovering drug addict, about chickens and eggs. He is making a new life for himself and is in love with chickens. I encourage him. 

I mentioned one of the eggs had a blood spot. We discussed why this happened. Then, he offered me one egg. As I got in the car, he gave me a whole dozen. I plan to scramble a dozen eggs at a time, and use them for four breakfasts for four days. 

So, I came home with 2 dozen eggs, 4 tomatoes, 6 peaches. As soon as I got home, I attacked a peach. It was so delicious! 

Then, I slept from 5 pm until a little before 9 pm. Before I lay down, I told Tommy to eat meatballs and spaghetti sauce, the cooked zucchini, and whatever else he wanted...lol. He ate meatballs with catsup on them and a salad. Fine. 

Just now, I tried on my two garments. The blouse is bright pink and almost to my knees, so I suppose it is or could be a dress. The blue sundress is the kind with elastic on the top. It sure squeezes me, but it is pretty. Tommy like both and said they looked nice on me. Both were on clearance and then I used a coupon. Good deal! Even using Tommy's walker, the trip inside Belk's was brutal. 

About 4:30 pm, I saw a hummingbird who lingered at both feeders and returned twice. When Tommy was coming into the house, it flew right in front of Tommy who sort of dodged it, thinking it was just a big bug. 

I missed the pecan man. Rats! I need to make arrangements to get pecans. 

12 comments:

  1. Wasn't that nice of the egg man to give you a dozen eggs because of the blood in the one egg.

    I haven't been to the fruit stand yet this summer. We are more than half way through July, and I haven't had any peaches or squash to fry yet. A couple of years ago I got a Patty Pan squash for frying at that stand, and would you believe it tasted like bitter cucumber, so I have stuck to yellow summer squash since then. I read about it and it says never to eat a squash that tastes like bitter cucumber. The bad flavor sometimes happens when people save seeds from crops year after year and that bad trait finally comes through after a while. It's a throwback to how original wild squash used to taste. I like to just slice my squash and shake the slices in a bag of flour and then fry in oil. My mom used to make them like that except she used bacon grease to pan fry most everything in. Her fried squash were really good. Mom always had plenty of bacon grease because my Dad always had bacon and eggs for breakfast every single day. He lived until he was 91, but did have heart problems for several years. I never have any bacon grease around because we use that expensive precooked bacon ever since my knees got bad and there is not cleanup with that bacon.

    I love reading about your hummingbirds. Aren't they amazing little creatures! I never saw any hummingbirds around here (St. Louis) until about the past 15 years ago or so. My mom always had a huge flower and vegetable garden with a lot of flowers and a wide variety of butterflies, but I never saw hummingbirds in her garden and I was outside most of the time in summer. I sure am glad we have them around here now. My zinnias have just started blooming. I got a late start with them. I hope the hummingbirds will find them soon. It always used to seem to me that the hummingbirds that came to my zinnia beds used to come at around the same time of day. Different ones at different times. Kind of on a schedule.

    Your sleeping schedule sounds almost as unusual as mine. I wish I could get in to a more normal schedule for sleeping. I went more than twenty four hours without sleep yesterday. I was up with my little old Fuzzy dog all night long. He was constipated and panting and struggling, finally I had to "help" him go. (I won't go into the gruesome details). He had some relief from my help, but was still uncomfortable so I called the vet and they fit him in at noon, which didn't leave me any time to sleep, and I had taken a prescription sleeping pill before Fuzzy's problem started. We took him to the vet and they got him all fixed up. My husband had only a few hours sleep, so he was tired too. We got home and I, my husband, and even Fuzzy went to bed and slept until 5 and got up and had supper. Shortly after supper I fell asleep watching television and woke up again at 11 pm. So here I am still up now.

    Your dress and long blouse sound nice. New outfits are always fun to get and it was nice of Tommy to compliment you in them.

    Can you believe it's Friday again already? Have a nice Friday, and weekend, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. susie,
      Daddy had bacon and eggs every day, too. He even took a hard fried egg sandwich to work to eat in the morning. He never had any heart disease, just pancreatic cancer! His mother died of pancreatic cancer, so it probably was not the bacon. The precooked bacon makes an appearance around here once in a while. It is the standing to cook that bothers me more than cleaning up.

      The PBS special had a graphic showing how hummingbird habit had spread. They were originally in South America and only spread to the US one hundred years ago. I have no flowers to entice them here. The schedule is what I thought, so I look at just after 7 pm every day. If any come in the morning, I am certainly not aware.

      My sleep schedule is horrible because there is no schedule or relief, it seems. That is horrible about the dog constipation. I hate it when I am up over 24 hours! And, it is worse if I have taken something for sleep and my body won't quit and sleep. Even when it is a crazy time to sleep, I do it to gain some relief.

      I like both. If Tommy does not like something, he is quick to say so, or damns it with faint praise.

      It is hard to believe it is Friday! It seems the days and years fly so fast at 75.

      Delete
  2. That was nice of the man at the Farmers Market to give you the eggs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Belinda,
      Since he is a new chicken person, I just wanted him to know why it was happening. I did not expect anything in return. It was very nice of him.

      Delete
  3. This sounds a nice day indeed, especially the peaches.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Split breasts are my favorite, actually. In fact, growing up, we never saw a BSCB unless my mother boned and skinned it herself. I use this recipe: https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/15238/delicious-baked-chicken/ It's one of my favorite winter meals!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meg B,
      I cut up chickens until my mid 30a, so no bscb here. I have always thought that I was buying bone and skin. At the price I found, it is worth buying the split breasts. Thanks for the recipe.

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...