Friday, July 16, 2021

Nothing Much Friday But Stuff to Say--Tomatoes, Basil, and Gunsmoke

 When pots are left with dying plants from over the winter, sometimes they will reseed , sprout weeds or just sit there and look ugly. I noticed a few days ago green in one of my herb pots. Yesterday, I made note of the fact it looked like basil. Well, today, feeling like I could bend and not topple over, I bent and pulled a leaf and smelled it. BASIL

It is really hard to water things on the porch as bending is hard and I don't want to spray the leaves. So, I have to bend or go off the porch and down the ramp to water standing on the grass. Plus, Tommy must go down the ramp and then back around it to turn on the water. I hate to have him do this, but I cannot turn the faucet. 

No pretty plants on the porch. I need to find ones that can go dry without immediately collapsing and then dying. But, I had another thought while on hummingbird watch. I will get another shepherd's crook and put flowers near the ramp railing. That way, either of us can water them with water from inside the house. 

It looks like I lost my third cleaner before he ever came. He would be in one of three locations and I had to go get him.  Well, before I could call, he moved to some place called Livingston. My friend has a second person in mind, so we will see. 

Tonight, I decided a BLT would be perfect with the new tomatoes, but I needed to purchase already-cooked bacon. We got out the door and onto the ramp and decided to stay home as it was starting to sprinkle and there were big, black clouds. No use getting caught out in that, so we unlocked the door and stayed here. The tomatoes will last until tomorrow. 

Right now, I am watching a movie with James Arness. I love Gunsmoke! I hurried and put dinner in the oven--two bscb and two chicken breast filets. A whole Vidalia onion sliced in half and a whole bell pepper sliced in fourths are cooking with the chicken. Tommy is going to have salad with grape tomatoes. I will have slices of one of the tomatoes from the market. We can eat all weekend from this since the breasts are so large. 

I may have a tomato salad--diced tomatoes, a bit of Miracle Whip stirred in with other vegetables.  YUM. When we were kids, we would go in and make tomato sandwiches before dinner. I loved those. 

The chicken is almost ready and Tommy is getting his salad. So, I need to check on the chicken at the next commercial. 

Do you or did you just eat tomato sandwich with mayo or salad dressing? Did you toast the bread or eat it with toasting? 



6 comments:

  1. We love tomato sandwiches. We toast the bread, spread it with mayonnaise and then salt the tomato. Delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not a fan of tomato sandwiches but love BLTs and are planning on having some later this afternoon. I do my bacon in the oven and don't like using the oven when it's so warm but it's worth the sacrifice. I always make our BLTs on lightly toasted bread. I've even made them without bacon and substituted sliced avocado with the tomato and lettuce. Surprisingly good. Ranee (MN)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rae,
      Well, when you are a kid and it is after dinner and you want to eat a tomato sandwich, you don't miss the lettuce and bacon. BLTs are on the menu for dinner tonight. I imagine sliced avocado would be good. I like toasted bread, but untoasted is fine, too.

      Delete
  3. I never ate a tomato sandwich but I love a BLT!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kim,
      Try just tomato, sometime. You might like it. We do love a BLT.

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...