Saturday, August 14, 2021

Blackberries and Plums and Muscadine Jam

 While in Publix, I think, there were blackberries for $0.99. It was a very small container, worth a taste of summer for so little. 

Then, I got plums, fresh Brussels Sprouts, and cauliflower. I never did get the carrots washed for Tommy to scrape, but will Saturday. 

There are guys with little produce stands all over Hueytown and Bessemer on corners, usually where there is a gas station. Today, I saw a sign saying "muscadines" at one corner produce stand. So, on the way back from the bread store, I had to stop. I paid $4 for a small container of big, fat fruits. I have only eaten one, but it was delicious. If Tommy does not want them, I may make a bit of muscadine preserves. 

I was given a bag of red/purple plums. Those are for eating, so delicious.

My Aunt Willie in Mississippi always had muscadine preserves at her house. I remember they had skins and the occasional seed in the jar and I grew to love them that way. I make mine the same way. Some people may remove skins and all the seeds. Those are the only muscadine preserves I remember eating.  Her kitchen table was full of food and covered with a tablecloth. I never saw her table bare. We were not supposed to ask for food. But, I could always depend on my younger siblings not minding her and saying they were hungry. I wanted cold biscuits and muscadine jam. 

 Aunt Willie was my great-aunt, the sister of my grandmother. And, she was more like a grandmother.  The memories of her are strong and sweet. 

Have you ever made muscadine jam or jelly? Anyone grow muscadine?

Do you have memories of an older relative and the foods they fed you when you were young? 

8 comments:

  1. Somewhere in the dim recesses of my memory is the phrase “scuppernong jelly and muscadine wine” but I can’t recall ever having had either of them. Maybe I read it? It is a mystery to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. rhymes,
      I have had scuppernong jelly and wine. I also have had muscadine jelly and wine. I have no idea from where you remember the phrase.

      Delete
  2. Yum, muscadines have the best tasting juice. I liked reading that you have sweet memories with Aunt Willie. I have them of my grandmother and all the baking, canning, and cooking she did over the years. Memories get sweeter with time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Belinda,
      The whole kitchen smelled so wonderful! And, of course, I had to taste it immediately. Memories are definitely sweet.

      Delete
  3. My one attempt at making marmalade was a bust.
    I love blackberries. How funny to know they are horrible weeds yet so $$ in the store.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Urspo,
      This jam may not be very Jam-y, but it will taste good. I never thought of them as weeds, but they are expensive. The price beats getting in chiggers.

      Delete
  4. "Do you have memories of an older relative and the foods they fed you when you were young?"

    I have wonderful memories of my dear Gran. She used to make a wonderful fruit cake and we always had a slice when visiting ...

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jan,
      I wonder if you ever make it yourself. Those are great memories.

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...