Monday, August 23, 2021

I Quit

 I refuse to take another Cymbalta. It is too distressing to almost fall, forget to breathe, disdain food, sleep too much. Plus, there are other effects. I certainly hope it does not hurt me to stop cold turkey after 17 days. So much for that med!

Today, I saw the dermatologist. He said he thought the place on my nose was skin cancer, but it was not. He said it was rosacea. That's weird. My cheeks were red today when I took off my mask. The mask does that to me. I have never been known for rosy cheeks. I am just about colorless in that respect. But, the tan spot on my nose is rosacea. How weird is that? 

He also froze ten spots on my back. I forgot what they are. But, the get bumpy and itch. I cannot reach them to scratch them. I have to get up and get the backscratcher. So, at night, I go mad from the itching for hours. Then, I have to get back to sleep. It is miserable and about half my lost sleep each night can be contributed to these itchy bumps. 

So, now I go back once a month to have these evil bumps frozen off. They are from my shoulders to above my knees. He will just keep freezing them until they don't come back ever. I don't consider them disfiguring, just itchy and irritating under bands of bra and panties. 

I napped through dinnertime. Tommy found food. I did not eat until midnight and had Special K, banana, and milk. About noon I had scrambled eggs and milk. So, I have lost a bit more weight. 

The day was beautiful, sun and blue skies. The hummingbirds are still eating the nectar I made them that was diluted by rain. Maybe the information about hummers shunning nectar left in rain and diluted was off. 

18 comments:

  1. I'm sorry you're having so many health problems. Lack of sleep is the worst form of torture isn't it! I hope things ease up for you though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Treaders,
      Thanks. I have a call in to the doctor to see how to quit this med. Things have to ease up!

      Delete
  2. The itchy bumps are probably sebhorreic keratoses. They are a common part of aging. They can sometimes be scraped off after a good soak in the shower (I have my daughter help with mine), but others are firmly adhered to the skin and must be removed by freezing or other medical methods. Yet one more "fun" aspect of aging!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue,
      I just love all these "getting old" problems. Thanks. Sounds like mine. Do yours intensely itch?

      Delete
    2. Just one in particular. It helps if I can get someone to apply a deep moisturizing lotion. It's a deep one, and it needs to get removed. My derm uses the 40% hydrogen peroxide method (Eskata). It works, but it feels like someone is stubbing out a burning cigarette on your skin! Not that freezing, cautery, or cutting are much better...

      Delete
    3. Sue,
      The burning from freeing is temporary but fierce. By the time he finished, none of them hurt. I suppose there is no way to be rid of those things without temporary pain. The derm uses Eskata in the office? How long does the pain last? I wonder how expensive it is compared to freezing?

      Delete
    4. Yes, Eskata is an office procedure. The derm's assistant rubs the 40% peroxide into each keratosis 4 times, for one minute each time. By the 4th time it's pretty painful, and the pain does linger. But my derm said it gives the best results with the least scarring.
      I'd guess peroxide would be less costly than frozen nitrogen, which requires the freezer/blaster applicator plus the bottled nitrogen. The peroxide is rubbed in with a heavy-duty Q-tip. But applying it to each keratosis 4 separate times means a bigger time cost, I suppose.

      Delete
    5. Sue,
      Thanks for the information. I will ask the dr about this option and costs. I saw some 40% peroxide somewhere. Does this have to be repeated multiple times, like over months or weeks?

      Delete
    6. I only had the procedure done once on my lower back; all but 2 deep ones are gone and have not resurfaced. I never had any luck with the freezing--they never completely went away and the skin was discolored. So Eskata has been the better option for me. I would never go for cutting or cauterization, that's for sure. Too much disfigurement with those options.
      I think 40% hydrogen peroxide is available without a prescription, but I would never attempt to use it on myself. You can accidently burn healthy tissue with it.

      Delete
    7. I have about 25 left above my waist on my back. The doctor froze 10. These things do grow and the itching drives me mad. I cannot trust Tommy with peroxide that strong. So, if I do that, the doctor will have to do it or the nurse. I agree with the cutting or cauterization.

      There is 25% on Amazon, but I believe I have seen the 40% somewhere. I read a site on the internet that said use at least 25%. Not sure.

      Thanks. You have been a big help with info and someone who has had the same thing. I think...lol.

      Delete
  3. Sorry to hear you are having health issues. I hope things get better!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Like my mom always says "it's so much fun getting "older" not "old" :) It sure doesn't sound like Cymbalta is a right fit for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One,
      If it is not one thing, it's another with problems. Amazingly, the age related arthritis is not bad at all, not like some people suffer from different arthritis "kinds." No, my muscles are all twitching.

      Delete
  5. I’m sorry the Cymbalta did not work for you. I wouldn’t like those side effects either. Bless your heart on the itching. I’m glad the dermatologist burned them off. Itching is just awful. I hope you have some relief now and can sleep better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Belinda,
      It was just too much to bear. He did not get them all, and it will take several trips for each bunch and several trips more. I do have relief right now, but it won't last until I get them completely gone.

      Delete
  6. Hey, meds aren't for all; try one and if it don't work - raus with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Urspo,
      I go back in two weeks. So, I am sure he will have an idea.

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...