Sunday, August 22, 2021

What Do You Need?

 The few stores I have been into seem to have lots of bare shelves. I doubt this situation is going to get any better. I forgot what item I was needing/wanting, but I became alert to the situation. 

I know it seems like a silly item, but I don't have any Hormel Chili without beans. Sure, I can live without this item. I usually only get one can at a time because it is not so important to me. Green beans is the food I need to keep in multiples. 

Toilet paper was never hoarded here. Tommy has enough for him for years. I think there were 48 rolls in there several years ago. I buy the brand I like, one that does not shed lint on my bottom. 

The thing I might need more of is bscb. I have a couple of turkeys I will cook soon. Of course, besides eating from them, I plan to freeze some for Thanksgiving or just for eating anytime. The refrigerator top shelf has to be clear so I can thaw it there. 

Oh, yes, I ran out of Miracle Whip. The overbuying of MW last year, resulting in MW soon to be out of date worked out well. I ate the out-of-date MW was perfectly fine three months later. Now, I am working on my third 8-ounce jar of MW that "expired" in May. 

I have plenty of pumpkin puree, cranberry sauce, and frozen whole cranberries in the freezer. I like mincemeat, but not in the jar. There are two of the boxed chunks of mincemeat here. So, Thanksgiving and Christmas are done here.

Fresh produce is obviously going to be much higher this year. Cabbage was $.99/lb., way too high. I know it was cheaper in another store. However, the cabbage was beautiful in the first store, old stuff in the cheaper store. 

Dinner: baked chicken, baked carrots, green beans, slaw.

What have you found is over-priced in stores? What do you need to stock up these next few weeks or months? 


12 comments:

  1. Beef is very high in price right now and we did not buy any this month. I even looked for markdowns, but no luck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Belinda,
      I know people at one store get there very early to get the markdowns as they are put out. The beef section in Publix was thin. Lots of cuts were just not there.

      Delete
  2. I've been on the lookout for signs of hoarding. So far I don't see any.
    I think this is because this time around people are not willing to stay indoors but go out - thus no need to hoard - unless they see others doing so.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Urspo,
      I don't know why TP is still scarce. Maybe it is not hoarding. Maybe it is not getting to the stores. Seeing people frantically buying does make others do the same.

      Delete
  3. We have farmers' markets every day round here so I'm mostly pretty happy. Of course there are non-perishables that we always need but it hasn't been a problem here. When I was shopping today I noticed that an awful lot of freezer stuff in the ice cream section was missing but I see that it had been recalled for some reason or other. Other than that we seem to be doing ok!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Treaders,
      Farmers' markets everyday is not common around here. In my town three times each week was common. I suppose I could go to the huge market here, but cannot walk that much. I am not sure why things are gone in Publix.

      Delete
  4. Food is going up across the board. I have a lot of food in my freezer and will continue to fill it as I find deals. I also go to the big farmers market occasionally, but generally go to the Bluff Park market which is open 3 times a week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne,
      That is smart to keep filling up the freezer with deals. I am eating things that have been in the freezer for a while. I am in no waiting eating it down. I keep putting meat in as I eat older meat. I really want to go to Finley Ave market, but settle for the one in Cullman.

      Delete
  5. I bought my husbands hamburger patties at Costco today. 18 patties and they last him about 2 months. He likes the taste of these and since they are portion controlled already he won't eat a whole package of hamburger all at once. Last year they went up 2.00 and now when I stopped to get them they had gone up another 2.00. I think in the next two weeks I better make some room in the freezer for more of these and other meats if I can find some good prices. I eat mostly chicken with some fish so I don't care about most meats but he does. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Crystal,
      Portion control means a lot. That is a steep price hike. I think I would be getting more of those! I eat mostly chicken, too. I am allergic to mammal meat. However, I only like the breast, but Tommy will eat the other pieces of chicken. However, I am going to make meatloaf one day this week.

      Delete
  6. Absolutely everything is over priced where I live. I can still find milk, eggs, bread (which I no longer eat) and toilet paper for a good price. Oh and also big cans if Maxwell House ho on sale fairly often.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joyful,
      I wonder how long prices will continue to rise. I bought toilet paper at a good price and on sale. And, the shelves were rather bare in the tp section.

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...