Saturday, August 7, 2021

OH NO! Price Hike! New Med

 I love the cheap machines for Cokes and Pepsi. I like paying $.50 for a drink. But, they went up to $.75 cents, a 50% hike. That is bad! It is not just right. Have you noticed this?

Friday, at the new doctor I was given a new med over my objections. He did not force me, of course, but told me to take it for about three weeks and make up my mind. He put me on Cymbalta for fibromyalgia. I cannot drive with this stuff in me. But, I have not driven in over a year, so not a problem at the moment. 

Friday night, I had a sudden urge to go to bed at 1:45 and went. I slept until 6:30 and woke and could not sleep another wink. I got up at 8 am because it was hot in the bedroom even though the thermostat was on 68F. About 10 am I could not keep my eyes open and slept until 2 pm and got up about 2:30 because it was hot again. 

This is no way to feel, to live, or to be. Words don't come easily right now. It has even affected typing. 

Tonight, we will have spaghetti and meatballs and salad to bread up the monotony of chicken and salad. I could eat chicken breasts three times each day, but Tommy is not so eager. He has eaten it four nights in a row, so I am not complaining. 

The neighbors next door are planning a blowout. There is a huge party size tent in the back yard. Her picture is out front--she's 50. And, there are lots of metallic balloons. Two banners adorn the chain link fence, one for her and one for a person turning 21. They had to remove the swing from the large covered patio and two cornhole games are leaning out front. An industrial size fan and another large one are both pointed toward the big tent. A party company set all this up yesterday and stuff keeps appearing out front. No, we were not invited. Saturday night and no place to go. Well, it is that way all the time...so we will not suffer. These are the neighbors who pay someone to mow Tommy's yard. 

This afternoon, I bought at The Pig and got free sour cream, buying nothing extra to get Kraft Cheddar chunk cheese at $2.27.  

Have you ever taken Cymbalta and how did it work for fibromyalgia pain?

14 comments:

  1. If my computer allows this comment…
    I take the generic for Cymbalta. I have chronic pain but not fibromyalgia. I learned a long time ago to take meds, that may cause drowsiness or anything else out of the norm, an hour or two before bedtime. I sleep better and the worst of any side affects happen while i doze. Once in awhile, i’ll skip a night of meds to kind of reset. I can’t go for more than two in a row or the pain ratchets up and i’m playing catch-up. And, Stay away from stairs until you get used to it. All in all, it helps with the pain. It does take time, though. I hope this helps.
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debbie,
      Thanks! I don't have any stairs, but the ramp was challenging because I had to hold back, and then it seemed like I had to climb it. But, I will note this for future stairs. Did the daytime lethargy ever go away?

      Delete
  2. I took Cymbalta for a while several years ago. I didn't take it for very long, and I cannot remember what side effect it gave me that made me quit taking it. Sorry not to be of more help.

    I have a tendency to fall asleep in the early evening when it gets real hot in our house. Our air conditioner keeps it cool except in the living room where the sun just bakes the front of our house until after the sun goes down. It tends to make me fall asleep in the recliner whether I mean to or not. I wish we could have planted a big shade tree out in our front yard to shade the front of the house, but to put a tree where it would need to be would mean putting it right over the sewage drain pipe and cause roots in our pipe. The heat never bothered me when I was younger, but it does now.

    Take care while you are getting used to the new medicine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. susie,
      The Cymbalta stopped all pain. But, it stops all feeling. I am not sad, but have no affect, it seems.

      In my house, I put a box fan blowing ac into the hot room. I used ceiling fans. I think planting crape myrtles on the hot side of the house is better than trees. They won't fall onto the house and provide a cool oasis. I would not put a tree over the sewage pipe, either!

      Heat zaps me as I age, so keeping cool is all I do, but I like being out in it.

      Thanks. I walk carefully.

      Delete
  3. I hope the Cymbalta helps. I’ve not had it before, so I don’t know how it works.

    I know what you mean about getting tired of chicken (Tommy), I feel the same way at times. But, I burned her out on spaghetti and have not served it in a long time.

    Decisions, decisions. I’m going to make pineapple sticky chicken one day this week.

    I hope you have a lovely Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Belinda,
      Thanks. I am not in pain, just not feeling anything.

      Now that I keep at least chicken and meatballs, it is easier for him to get it or for me to fix things for him without starting from scratch every night.

      Pineapple sticky chicken sounds delicious.

      Sunday is warm and bright out. So, it is lovely even this early. Try to stay cool.

      Delete
  4. It saved me.. I encourage you to perhaps try. But I get it. The weirdness wears off after a few weeks which is why he encouraged the 3 weeks. The problem is the coming off of the medication. You cannot just "quit" the drug. So just think carefully but I've been on it for 11 years and will not change and go back!! Love it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unknown,
      Thanks. This feeling is unbearable. I will keep it up. After the first pill, I have had no pain.

      Delete
  5. my dh tried Cympbalta for pain years ago, but it didn't help his problem at all, unfortunately.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One,
      Thanks. So far, my pain is mostly gone. But, I am groggy.

      Delete
  6. I really helps with muscular skeletal pain. It will keep you from taking pain killers and it does work. The problem is if you stop taking it you will get very sick.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kim,
      Thanks. I don't take any pain killer, not even aspirin. I will ask the doctor how to stop if I do. I feel strange.

      Delete
  7. The usual dose ranges for fibro (in my experienceI is between 60-120mg taken with food once a day. usually in the morning but at night if it makes you tired.
    One starts 20mg and slowly turns it up every 4 weeks until it's good enough. Fibro pains usually need 6-8 weeks to 'kick in' .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Urspo,
      I am taking 30 mg, so I think I will ask if he can reduce it for a while.

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...