Thursday, August 19, 2021

Storms, Hummers, and Booklight

 Thursday was a stormy day, lots of torrents of rain, thunder and lightning. We stayed in and I took a nap unwittingly. I had gone to the bedroom to make three calls, not to sleep. It seems when I see the bed a nap kidnaps me. 

We stayed inside except for Tommy's trip to the trash outside the door near the porch. It has to stay there in order for Tommy to reach it with trash. Plus, the neighbor who takes it to the road and bring the empty can back for Tommy. 

Tuesday, I brought the hummingbird feeders in and cleaned them with Clorox. I had read that they can smell the dishwasher detergent and will avoid the sugar water. For weeks now I have had no problems. But, the video pointed out that mold can grow in the feeders. I knew that from the time I had a feeder out years ago and attracted only large carpenter ants. 

I had Tommy put the feeders out about noon on Wednesday. Well, the birds did not come for a while. When they did come back, they drank little and traffic was light the rest of the day. I realized that I did not get all the Clorox out completely since I could still smell it. Soooo, I took them down on Wednesday and rewashed with Dawn and rinsed thoroughly. 

Today, Thursday, traffic improved. My main problem is that the reservoir cannot be opened to clean it. I need feeders that I can take apart. sigh.... So, if you buy a feeder, make sure to get one that can be opened to get mold out of the reservoir. When I bought these, it was not evident that the feeder would not come completely apart. Both feeders come apart into four pieces, but the reservoir will not open. We both tried to pry it open and had no luck. 

When I read in bed, it appeared to booklight was getting dimmer. I was madder than a wet hen. Then, I realized that it pulled apart and had a USB to recharge the light. I knew this but forgot when I was sleepy. My laptop is the only thing in the house with a USB port, so it lived there for a bit today. Now, I can read once again. I think reading at night and in bed helps me sleep. I've missed reading. 

Dinner tonight--salad with baked chicken from the freezer. It took less than ten minutes from the time I walked to the kitchen to having dinner on the plates. I love easy meals!

Will your hummingbird feeder completely disassemble? What is the quickest meal you put on the table? Are you having storms, fires, or other adverse conditions? Maybe fair skies?


12 comments:

  1. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07896FNN7/?tag=birdingdepot-20
    I have three of these, but I paid about $9.00 each. It comes apart very easily---you pull the red bell shaped parts, then the yellow screens come off and open so you can clean them, and then it goes together very easily again. I also have a very expensive hand blown glass feeder (it was a gift) which is also easy to clean, but I fear I will drop it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meg B,
      I pulled that address up and found lots of feeders that came apart. I had not looked yet. All this brand came apart, at least the ones I looked at. I bought a cheap one for $4.98. Like you, I am afraid I will bread a glass one. Thanks.

      Delete
  2. I have the very inexpensive feeders from Walmart the brand is first nature. On line they cost less than $4. They come apart in 3 pieces. I fill the sink with hot/warm water and dawn. I take them apart and use a bottle type brush or a dish rag to clean the inside of the clear portion. I use a brush to scrub the
    2 part red section that they drink from. I have had these feeders for at least 3 years. My feeders are on the north side of the house so are not in full sun. I think this is why they last so long.

    I know you are supposed to cook the sugar water but I almost never do. I mix the sugar and HOT water and give it a good stir then allow it to cool. I normally mix the sugar water in the mornings then bring in & wash all 6 feeders in the afternoon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Janet,
      That is good news. I will check on these. The bottom red part does not come apart in these feeders I bought at Walmart. So, I will check online as I don't go in there. Thanks.

      I think all you have to do is dissolve the sugar. I put the sugar into a pint jar of boiling water and stir and let it cool. I only have two feeders, so I only boil a pint jar of water in the microwave.

      Delete
  3. One of my feeders is like a tray with a lid and super easy to clean. The other is like a big bulb that screws into the base. It's super hard to get inside it to clean with the tiny opening. I think I'm going to ditch that one next year and just get another tray one. I always boil my water too before adding the sugar. It only takes like 2 min in the microwave to boil and not too long to cool down, or I then put the cup of hot nectar in the fridge for a bit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One,
      I have seen the tray ones. And, the big bulb ones look hard to clean. My microwave takes a bit longer, but it is 700 watt. One day, I left it on the counter to cool a bit before putting it in the refrigerator and it cooled completely since his kitchen is so cold.

      Delete
  4. I think I could use a nice booklight. Do you have one to recommend? Happy Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lori,
    This is what I got
    DEWENWILS Amber Book Reading Light, USB Rechargeable Book Light for Reading in Bed, Blue Light Blocking, 4 Brightness Adjustable for Eye Care, LED Clip On Book Lights for Kids, Bookworms, Pink

    Sorry it is not a link. I love this.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We live in Northern Nevada and the fires from Northern California are sending so much smoke this way. Ash too. I really feel sorry for the ones living right in the area where the fires are dealing with all the smoke and worry that their homes might be lost. Firefighters from all over are working very hard to get the fires under control.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Crystal,
      It must be scary for those near the fires. I was talking to Tommy about what we would want from his house if we had to run from a fire. It was quite a discussion. For me, pictures would be first which is why I need to digitize everything. Did you know firefighters are paid something like $14/hour? The need to be paid what football players make.

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...