Wednesday, September 29, 2021

Curds and Brown Bread and Tommy

Tuesday night, we had leftovers. Tommy had chicken, the rest of zucchini/red and green peppers that were sauteed and purple hull peas. I had two slice of the cooked zucchini, and a teaspoon of the peas. 

 I bought the cheese curds and Tuesday night he still had not tried one and was adamant that he probably would never even try one. Why?

T- I don't think I would like it.

L-What could make you think that? 

T-I have heard they are awful.

L-Where have you heard about curds? 

T- My grandmother and my grandfather. 

L-They didn't like curds?

T- No, they didn't like them at all.

L- Where did they taste them?

T- On their farm.

L- They had a dairy farm? 

T- No. 

L-What kind of farm did they have? 

T- I don't know. 

So, that is how most conversations go with Tommy. I have to drag information out of him. Possibly, I will get him to try a bit. He says "NO!"

Come to find out, his grandparents never had a farm. They both left farms where they grew up, met in Birmingham and married. 

I finally found the cheese curds in a Publix, but before that I could not find anyone in the places I looked who knew what I was talking about. 

As I approached three upper level employees, all older than thirty, They all turned to me and asked if they could help me. I said I was trying to find B&M bread, brown bread. the woman was eager to point out the bread aisle by flinging her arm out toward the other side of the store. She acted like I had never been in a grocery store. "No, I want bread in a can, brown bread, B&M. She kept interrupting and said disdainfully  there was no such thing as bread in a can, just in loaves. 

I moved along to asking about the cheese curds. This woman volunteered, saying she did not think they carried cheese curds. Then, she spotted the cottage cheese with the "large curd" and "small curd" labels. She said that this is what "they" were talking about. She sort of patted it as if to gently lead me. JERK! She ran her fingers under the "large curd" and "small curds" on the cottage cheese.  As I was objecting to the cottage cheese being "cheese curds," she kept telling me in a soft voice, "This is what you need to get." That woman would not give up. Finally, I raised my voice a bit and told her she did not have to explain cottage cheese to me. She was miffed because I would not believe her. 

One of the guys checked the internet for B&M. He explained to me this was a small store, so maybe a larger one would have it. He did check the store inventory before suggesting a larger store. 

Have you ever had an encounter with people who do not know what they are talking about while trying to help you AND point out how you are wrong?

11 comments:

  1. I have encountered that person you write about in your last paragraph so many times - for about the past 47 years or so, he's my husband.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. susie,
      Tommy tries mansplaining on me. Makes me furious.

      Delete
  2. I’ve never eaten cheese curds or canned B&M bread but I know what both are.
    Those are some clueless Store workers 😵‍💫

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rhonda,
      Not only were they clueless, they were insulting.

      Delete
  3. I had to buy B&M brown bread from Amazon. No store in Phoenix carries it, at least no major chains…amazing. The price was eye watering on Amazon but I ordered one as a present for my husband.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TO,
      That is amazing that Phoenix stores did not carry it. I think maybe the company could have helped. The price in Publix was eye-watering, too. I am quite sure your husband will appreciate such a dear gift.

      Delete
  4. SAM,
    They are a little dry. I probably won't buy more unless they are fresher. These were cheaper than cheese. Sorry I deleted your post. My just-up-from-a-nap fingers hit the wrong icon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. AMAZON for the bread. Cheese curds you might want to tack on Wisconsin on it as that is what it is called around here by the young... you know 40-50 yr olds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chef,
      Thanks. Yes, the young keep getting older all the time.

      Delete
  6. I looked up cheese curds and canned bread. I'm still unsure of cheese curds. I would think of curd as being cottage cheese or some other lightly processed form of cheese bbut i see there is a whole tradition of breaded and fried curds.
    It's funny how you talk about the age of the employees, just this morning I said to my daughter that I never thought I would have "generational" ideas and attitudes but here we are! She agreed just a bit too quickly!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. kylie,
      The curds are nothing like cottage cheese. These are dry as opposed to wet curds in cottage cheese. I have never heard of these until last year. They have a long tradition in the Northern states of the US.

      Well, these employees were old enough to have heard a few things. They were not teens who may not have heard of a lot of things. I don't think we can help but have ideas of generations/age about some things.

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...