Thursday, September 30, 2021

Lamp and Aquarium Glue

 The time I would have spent on a post today was spent talking to the new friend I made down the street. Her name is Linda and her  birthday is four days before mine. She turned 74 while I turned 75. She is a schoolteacher, too. 

We were on our way to the bread store. But, we sat in front of her house for an hour and a half, talking.  I felt bad we were keeping her and she said she was keeping us. I was not bored and we each spoke equally long and long-winded...lol. 

The lamp Tommy had beside his chair was cute, sort of an Arabian Nights look. Someone gave it to him. He used it without a shade and with a curly bulb for years. Since I sit facing it, I was having eye pain. The eye doctor told me with my eye problems I should not use a curly bulb or any kind of fluorescent bulb. So, I bought a new white shade for his lamp. The lamp did not have a harp or a way to affix one the the lamp. 

That lamp shade would not stay straight because every time he turned it on and off, he tilted it. Then, the light in my eyes was intense. I told him I was buying a new lamp for him. He did not disagree. I also told him it might be from a yard sale. 

Well, I found one at a yard sale last weekend or maybe it was the week before. It is white ceramic, sort of an amphora look with a little brass base with legs. It also had a good LED bulb and a bell-shaped shade. The shade is fabric, looks like slub silk, but we know it is not silk...lol. It is not white, maybe an oatmeal color. He likes it, so that is good. The size works so much better than the stubby little lamp he had for five years. 

I was surprised, but he started to put it on his table. I suggested he let me wash if first. He said he would wash it and took it straight to his table. I was surprised he wanted it put on his table right away...lol. I think he washed it after he plugged it in. So, he has a lamp with a more powerful light than he had, the shade does not tilt, so it does not blind me. He likes it!

It was a good deal for $4. Usually, the shade needs to be replace on yard sale lamps. Not this one. 

For a project I needed aquarium glue. The easiest on my back was Amazon. It was cheap and came today. On the box there was not one word of English or any language with which I am familiar. I suppose it was Chinese. I have no idea what are the ingredients or if it is toxic.  Have we come to this? 

My favorite lamps are yard sale lamps. The only new lamps I have ever owned were bought in 1967. Since 1985 or so, I have bought antique lamps at yard sales or junk stores and had them restored. I made the shades. 

Do you like antique lamps? Yard sale lamps? Floor lamps? Have you gotten anything where all the label was in Chinese or other language?


For a mere $4, we are both satisfied. I love the little lamp, but I suppose I will donate it or sell it. 

12 comments:

  1. Her name is Linda, she was born 1 year 4 days after you, and she is a schoolteacher? Are you sure you didn't enter a time warp and meet yourself? Haha!
    I DO love lamps! Antique, yard sale--it's all good with me as long as they are beautiful and a bargain. My most favorite is an antique cast iron floor lamp. At the top is a flat (2-D), 3-masted sailing ship. The pole is twisted to look like rope. And the base is circular--made to look like a compass ring, with raised (3-D) ocean waves inside! The 4 feet look like scallop shells. It is a brilliant piece of art. They made things so much more interesting in the old days...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue,
      Every time I talk with her, I find more similarities, ones I did not mention. I love the description of that lamp. I need to see a picture. Would you send a picture to my email--pparsimony@yahoo.com ?

      I have some nice lamps, but nothing to match that!

      Never do I spend lots on a lamp, but I do spend the money when I must to restore it. Lamps are a passion! I love the description.

      Delete
    2. Hi Linda! Check your email for the photos and let me know what you think!

      Delete
    3. Sue,
      Thanks. That is unusual! I really like it and can see why you got it. I have never seen anything like it. I wonder what the history is. Thanks.

      Delete
    4. My 2nd most favorite floor lamp features an Aladin's lamp on top and the base is a series of stacked squares, with the top being green marble. Wrapped around the pole bottom is an urn We found it on a curb spattered with paint. We took it to a lamp restoration place only to learn that the top and the urn were SILVER! The only bummer is that it tarnishes and I can't find the ambition to keep it polished!

      Delete
    5. Sue,
      WOW! That was a find! Lamp restoration places are wonderful places. Mine closed, but surely there are more. If you give the silver a light wipe, not hard, it probably will stay polished. Yes, I would like a picture of that lamp, too.

      Delete
  2. I love decorative lamps (I hate overhead lighting)and have changed ours more often than I care to admit because I always found other lamps I liked even better, although we've pretty much stuck with what we have for 9 years, only adding, not replacing. We have both table and floor lamps, and a wide variety.

    Sassybear
    www.idleeyesandadormy.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Breenlantern,
      I love decorative lamps, too. I don't hate overhead lighting, but I like the option of lamps. My den had no overhead lighting, so I had four lamps in the room. Three of the lamps had a small light at the top that I used for ambiance. Those same three lamps had another three lights in the usual formation. Then, two of the lamps had foot operated lights underneath the lamps, night lights, maybe. There were so many options.

      Delete
  3. Have you ever tried the glue E600? You can buy it at most stores and Amazon. It glues as well as a hot glue gun and you don't burn your fingers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. angie,
      I have used E6000 for thirty years or so. However, I chose the one I got today because it can be used around potable water. I did not see that on E6000. I could have missed that item, though. Thanks.

      Delete
  4. I have lots of things (lamps included) to get rid of by a sale. come get them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Urspo,
      I will be right by tomorrow...lol. I am lacking so many things these days that were lost.

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...