Saturday, October 2, 2021

What Have I Forgotten?

 I have repeatedly gone over in my mind what I need for this holiday season--October through New Year's Eve. While I have a turkey, any poultry will do. I even have frozen berries and canned cranberry sauce. All of a sudden, it hit me like a bolt from the blue. There was no thought of "what do I need." It just hit. 

Tommy really likes green bean casserole. And, there are no fried onions here. So, that will be a list of one thing I need. I do need some pie crusts, the ones in the aluminum pie pans. 

One day, I came into my mother's kitchen when she was making pies. It was shocking to see bought crusts with her filling in them. When I questioned her as I was in a state of shock and disbelief, she was not at all apologetic or guilty. She said it was too much trouble and she did not feel like making crusts. She had horrible back problems and fibromyalgia. I understood. The next time I made pies, I used bought crusts and never looked back. 

No crusts are here and I really don't need them and won't miss them. I have made pumpkin pie in a casserole before, and can now. No, I won't be making pie crusts. With diabetes I cannot eat like I did. So, crusts can go. That hurts to say it! 

Maybe I need to get apples for a pie or just to cook. We both like to just eat Granny Smith apples. So, it will be no loss if we eat apples and don't cook them. 

Maybe I should make a list on paper...lol. We really would survive without green bean casserole. But, he love it. He is like a little kid looking at cookies when I make it. 

Have you gathered all you need for the holiday cooking? 

12 comments:

  1. I'm feeling the same way. I'm a bit worried about forgetting anything for the holidays. I'm not a fan of green beans, but I love green bean casserole. I think it's the onions that does it for me. I bought a big bag at Sams and use the leftovers to coat chicken breasts.

    I'm actually stocking up on pie crusts (for meat pies). Its so nice to have it neatly rolled and ready to use. It's also cheaper than buying all the ingredients and spending all the time to make the crusts. I can put that time to use in a different way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ma Goose,
      I love green beans, so I can eat them if no casserole. Soup and onions do it for me. If I buy the larger container of the onions, I can use the rest for Christmas casserole if I don't munch on them first. Maybe the leftovers Onions can go in the freezer so I won't get into them.

      Actually, I believe homemade crusts are cheap and better, but I do not have the energy to stand. Plus, I have not made a pie crust in 45 years. Now, is no time to relearn a skill. I made good crusts once upon a time. And, I have better things to do with my time...lol.

      Delete
  2. I’ve not gathered all that I need to for the holidays yet. Amazon sells the big bags of fried onions if you’re interested. Moss Family TV on YouTube made a crust less pumpkin pie this week. I buy store bought pie crusts too. They are delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Belinda,
      I think I am done except for the fried onions. I wonder what I will remember now. I just put the pie filling in a casserole. I will look to see what they do. I love pumpkin pie. I use my pumpkin pie recipe and make it with sweet potatoes. Delicious.

      Delete
  3. I make apple pies and chicken pot pies with only the top crust. Cuts down on the carbs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barbara,
      That is a great idea! I have thought about that in the past. Maybe I ought to do it this year. Thanks for reminding me.

      Delete
  4. We eat Thanksgiving at my daughter's inlaws. They don't let us bring anything, but i will take a rum cake this year. Or a plant.

    Christmas dinner, well, years ago we ordered Italian in for Christmas dinner. With three kids and their grown families, we will celebrate typically a week early and that way they can still enjoy Christmas in their home or with other family members.

    But, I will still be cooking a turkey breast for my husband and myself and a couple of sides for actual Christmas day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisa,
      I cannot go anywhere empty-handed. Both options will probably be appreciated.

      Lots of families celebrate early to avoid hurt feelings or someone being left out. We usually went to my mother's house the day after Christmas. When I was a child, we went to my grandmother's house the day after Christmas. That way, we had Christmas at home.

      I will cook some sort of poultry...lol. I think I have a turkey. It is good to have something traditional on Christmas Day, at least for me.

      Delete
  5. yikes, I haven't even started thinking about it yet. I'd better get busy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One.
      I think there ill be sales, but this year, I am not waiting on sales to get what I want and need. I will buy loss leaders, still, though.

      Delete
  6. I have not thought of such although the store is full up with supplies, including friend onions; Uncle Albertsons has heaps.

    ReplyDelete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...