Sunday, October 31, 2021

Doctors Pushing Drugs and Plans and Stuff

 When Tommy went to his doctor, I asked afterwards how things went, what the doctor said. He said the doctor said his tests were okay. But, he said the main thing he talked to him about was buying a plan under Medicare. He said there were tests he needed that would be free if he bought some sort of plan. I am amazed that a doctor would be pushing a plan. So, Tommy is going to find one. Is this what doctors are supposed to be doing--selling for Medicare? He does not sign them up. But, Tommy was with the doctor for a long time. He did say that most of the time was spent with the doctor talking to him about the benefit of a "plan." 

In a table in a prominent place in the doctor's waiting room is a table with lots of brochures in their little plastic displays. I have never seen this before. It seems the doctor is pushing drugs to me. Maybe I go to lazy doctors who think their jobs are to make people well, not advertise for drug makers. 

In the last box of patterns I sorted, I found a pattern I hoped was saved long ago when I brought these boxes to Tommy. Well, he brought them to his own home about five or more years ago. I had a favorite sweat shirt pattern that I made out of several "scraps" of fabric that I bought from a cutting room. The thing I like about this pattern is the raglan sleeves. I hate set in sleeves in sweatshirts I have bought. So, this is a perfect pattern. 

I still have about five more boxes to sort. sigh

When I came here, I slept in Tommy's bed and still do. (He has not slept in his bed for about five years. He sleeps in his recliner.) But, his bed broke down the first day I was here, so he took a bed from another room for me. It is the frame with no headboard or footboard, the one that allows my covers to fall off. 

When I first met Tommy and was visiting for a day, the sideboard of the bed cracked somehow, a loud crack. He never even checked it out! When it broke the first day I moved here, I told him I would fix it with glue and a clamp. His bed does not have metal rails for the mattress. It has wooden rails and uses slats. He was angry his bed was broken and would not allow me to fix it. 

His parents bought this bed when they married, so it is about 70-years-old. It has a tall headboard and almost as tall footboard. 

Well, I bought glue and a clamp and waited to surreptitiously work on the bed. He refused to  me repair it, getting very angry. The other day, I told him I had glue and a clamp and could fix the bed. He eagerly asked me where was the glue and clamp. He is eager for me to fix the bed frame. So, I suppose that will be something I should do this week. I also suggested he get one of those metal boxes that takes the place of box springs. 

I looked out the fanlight window on the front door on Halloween afternoon and notice a big bird was sitting on the shepherd's hook. It was 12-14 inches high and sort of speckled. I yelled for Tommy as the bird flew off. I think he told me it was a red-shouldered hawk. Not sure. I wonder what he is looking for in our yard.  I have a raven hanging on the shepherd's hook and momentarily I wondered how it flew up to the perch he claimed....lol. I hope he goes away and does not get hummingbirds.

Dinner Sunday night--meatloaf, carrots, broccoli.

What has been your experience with doctors pushing medicare plans and advertising many drugs? 

16 comments:

  1. Drug reps visit docs offices regularly. Some docs allow them to put out their drug info and some don’t

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne,
      Yes, got it. This doctor advertises for drug makers, pushing meds.

      Delete
  2. Doctor definitely shouldn't be pushing meds but Medicare is a government program and doctors gain nothing by encouraging it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. obscure,
      They absolutely do gain when patients have plans and extra tests.

      Delete
    2. Hi Linda! I enjoy reading your blog & seeing what shenanigans you & Tommy get into each day. I'm curious to know more about your relationship with each other though? You mention in this blog about when you first met Tommy. How and where did you two meet & how did you come to live together? It seems like you have another house somewhere else too but that was never clear to me. Also do you guys have any children together or separately? I apologize if I missed a post that explained all this, I looked for one before but never found anything. You guys are the cutest & I enjoy reading about you guys every day. I'd love to learn more about you both but also understand if this may be too personal for you to share. Was worth an ask though ;) Anyways keep up the blog, I enjoy it! Hope you have a fabulous day my darlin!! :)

      Delete
    3. We met over the internet on MoreFish or something like that. We met online in 2005 and I met him in person in 2006 or the last day of 2005. A guy I was dating who was going to a friend's birthday party on NYE backed out at the last minute. So, I asked Tommy to go. I lived an hour north of Brmingham, so I told him I would meet him at a certain place near UAB in Birmingham since that was close to the party.

      I parked at the curb and he came and got into my car. I had told people who I was meeting even though I was sure he would not murder me.

      The host at the party, wife of the birthday boy, asked me how we met. I told her this was the first time I had ever seen him, that I found him on the corner. Tommy said just now that he does not remember the occasion. I told him he looked horrified when I said that. He said he probably was horrified.

      I think he is still horrified I said that. So, the other guy said it was over with us is the only reason I went out with Tommy. But, the guy kept saying that. Anyway, Tommy and I dated for two years.

      Then, he said he did not want to be my bf anymore. But, he has never failed to see me every week and sometimes twice a week, mowing my yard and other stuff I could not do.

      My large house was condemned by the city one day and torn down the next. So, even though he did not want me to move here, I did with a handful of clothes and nothing else.

      That was two years ago. He is much nicer to me now. I have said all this in posts through the years.

      Delete
    4. Thanks for sharing that. I didn't realize you and Tommy dated. I guess I thought he was your brother or a relative.

      Delete
    5. Linda - AWE! Love your story so much! Thanks for sharing!! I love that you guys met online, I'd have never guessed! And funny enough that's where I met the love of my life too! It was on one of those same dating sites - Plenty of Fish! Well it sounds like things worked out in the end for you two even if it's been a bit rough along the way but I think you're both very lucky to have each other! Thanks again for sharing :)

      Delete
    6. Bri,
      POF, yes, I remembered the name in the car today. Things are working out. I think...lol.

      Delete
  3. Doctors get all kind of perks and benefits from drug companies. Not sure what they might get from pushing plans.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joyful,
      Think of it this way. If Tommy gets more tests, the doctor gets more money.

      Delete
    2. Yes I understand. What I'm trying to say is they also get money and other perks from the drug companies. It's been exposed on news shows like 60 Minutes and such like. I used to think in Canada the doctors didn't get these kind of perks but I've since learned that a lot of them do get travel and other perks.

      Delete
    3. Oh, that is foregone that doctors get perks from drug companies. You said you were not sure what they might get from pushing plans. That is what I was explaining--if Tommy gets more tests at doctor's office as mandated by the plans, then the doctor gets more money from Medicare and Tommy for the tests and office visits.

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...