Monday, November 1, 2021

Hard Monday and Lift Chairs and Wrong-way Driver and New Book

 I was so tired that I napped a bit after I got up this morning.  We had planned to go to two Medical Equipment places to look at other lift chairs. Well, the one said they could give us brochures as they had no chairs onsite. Not going there. 

We went to the other one who had lots of chairs but only two that put my feet above my heart. It was as high as the discount we got at Lazyboy. Tommy tried one that was $3500! But, it did not put  feet above heart. So, we left with brochures. I am going to try my ortho in Huntsville, a long way--over 120 miles, but we can see what they have. Maybe.

I told Tommy I needed a small burger when I realized he had eaten over two hours before we left. But, he would not have one. So, I ate one. As we left the place with chairs, he could not navigate the driveway. He deliberately got out of the right hand lane and steered to the left hand late to exit the business' parking lot. I told him what he did as he did it, because if I mention it later, he denies he drove on the wrong side. Then, as we were driving along going about 50 miles an hour, he did not let up on the gas as the  traffic came to a stop ahead. I screamed and he came out of his sort of trance, and said he saw it and had plenty of time. I let up on the gas when I see cars standing still. He keeps the accelerator down and then does an emergency stop! 

So, I said I was hungry again. I WAS NOT! He got burgers, but refused to eat his, just the fries. So, I ate mine with a knot in my stomach from the stress of him not eating. It wears me out to have to remain on high alert. He said he could wait for dinner. But, I was going to Lowe's. So, he ate in the Lowe's parking lot. 

I found the wire for hanging my birds that the employees at Lowe's said they did not carry! I bought a Bostitch stapler and staplers to upholster Tommy's chairs. I also bought two Amaryllis  bulbs for us--red for him and Apple Blossom for me (pink and white). We will put them out on Thanksgiving in the living room and lamps will help them since they will get no sun. They will bloom by Christmas. He does not mind me using his Lowe's card. 

Several miles from home on 59/20, I gasped a really huge gasp. And Tommy saw it after I gasped. Okay, Tommy said I screamed and pointed. He saw it then.  A car was coming toward us the wrong way. Thankfully, we were in different lanes. There was another car coming toward the wrong way car and in the same lane. Tommy moved off the road to the right and slowed down. The car took advantage of the space we gave him and moved over toward us to miss the pickup truck in the wrong lane. 

The truck had come up the on ramp and turned into traffic instead of merging. It was so scary. This was the first time I have faced a wrong way driver. His pickup would have demolished the Nissan Rogue. I have driven in the wrong lane in another place I did not live, but we were all going about 20 mph. There was no danger of a big crash. 

I finished A Beautiful Mystery and really enjoyed it. Then, a week ago, I started Before We Were Yours, by Lisa Wingate. I finished it Saturday night. I highly recommend both. The first had a lot of Catholic stuff and terms. The second was about the Tennessee Children's Home Society and Georgia Tann. I will tell you a personal story about the children "adopted."  

Now, I need to dig in my box of books mailed to me and find another to start tonight. 

Do you buy Amaryllis for forcing in December? Or paperwhites?

Have you ever had a wrong-way driver coming toward you on the interstate? My heart rate rose rapidly and I think I am still feeling it. Any wrong-way driver stories? Any. 

16 comments:

  1. My nerves would be shot after your day! I'm glad you got the amaryllis- sound very pretty. Before We Were Your's was such a good, but devastating book to read. The things humans are capable of doing to others is sickening.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SAM,
      It took my blood pressure a long time to be normal. I usually get an Apple Blossom Amaryllis, but I got a red one for Tommy. Our lamps will be enough light and heat for them to grow. Oh, you have read it. I was sick of the action, so disturbing. And, I have a story of the actual things that did happen.

      Delete
  2. This will be the first year to order an Amaryllis, I have a huge, ten year old Christmas cactus that usually blooms late November and always buy a huge poinsettia, just thought I'd try something new.
    My town has many one way streets, seems like at least once a year I spot someone going the wrong way, I did it once, on an alley.Whew!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jan,
      The amaryllis is amazing to watch bloom. I have always considered getting a Christmas cactus, but that would mean keeping it alive all year...lol.
      The guy died last night going the wrong way.

      Delete
  3. I think knowing Tommy needs to eat and how he gets when he doesn't I would get out of the car and say "we're not leaving and I'm not getting back in the car until you get something to eat! You HAVE to eat, no ifs ands or buts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He starts screaming and cursing me! One day of the interstate I told him I had to use the bathroom and I started calling 911 as I walked to the station. He got out of the car and said, "Okay, since you are so insistent is the only reason I will let you drive."

      Delete
    2. I highly doubt he would want to let you drive, if the situation was reversed. At least now most times you are with him when he's driving? so you see the signs. I'd hate for him to be by himself doing that. He could seriously injure some innocent person

      Delete
    3. One,
      Oh no, he would not let me drive at all. I worry and try to be with him always.

      Delete
  4. Wow, what with Tommy's driving AND the wrong way driver I doubt I'd go out in the car again! We quite frequently hear of wrong-way drivers on the motorway here and I'm never sure if it is accidental or thugs who tend to come to Geneva up to no good and then do a wrong-way to try to escape the police!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Treaders,
      When we went to Cullman today, Tuesday, I was on edge. Of course, Tommy was driving crazy, even more so on the way home.

      Delete
  5. That wrong way driver sounds absolutely terrifying!! So glad you weren't hurt and that it didn't end badly for you
    Before We Were Yours has been on my list to read for awhile now, I've heard good things about it. I would love to hear your story!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bri,
    I am in as much danger every day with Tommy when his blood sugar drops. I have had that book for a while and found it and decided it had to be read. You will not regret the reading of it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my goodness. That wrong way driver was scary. Glad nothing happened to any of you.

    I don't understand why Tommy's so stubborn about eating. It's for his own good. My mom was diabetic and always made sure she ate on time, whether she was home or not.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ms Goose,
      I was nervous all the way to Cullman, today. I guess he thinks he infallible, a macho man, not going to let anyone tell him what to do! He says he just ate...yes, 2 hours ago and we will be in the car for almost two hours. He says he is okay and it is none of my business. I can tell when my blood sugar is rising or dropping. I will fight to get food when it is falling. He says he feels fine and there is no difference in how he feels. Oh, he thinks I am trying to make him eat and die.

      Delete
  8. Now you will need to read "Before and After: The Incredible Real-Life Stories of Orphans Who Survived the Tennessee Children's Home Society"

    I generally listen to books on my phone (with ear buds) using the LIBBY app from our library. The books are free and my library has a HUGE selection.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Janet,
      Oh, I will. I had not investigated to see if there was more. Thanks.

      Some of these days, I might start listening that way.

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...