Tuesday, October 5, 2021

Stockpiling on the Cheap

 Monday, feeling as tired as I was, we went to the park for pine straw and pinecones. What looked like pine straw was really rings of straw that had disintegrated and mud. So, I left that. I found a pine branch with a dozen pine cones on it. Tommy can break up the branches for the pumpkin to sit on instead of the dirt in the pot. It will work as well, maybe better than the straw to keep the pumpkin off the wet dirt in the pot. We sat and ate a brownie. 

I will put the pinecones in the oven on low to make them dry and full. Then, I can decorate with them... cheap decorations. 

I decided to go to Publix to get more Campbell's soup. I bought one can each of cream of broccoli, asparagus, beefy mushroom, cream of celery, French onion, and 6 cans of cream of mushroom, and  5 cans of cream of chicken and 2 cans of chicken broth. I bought 17 cans for $1 each. Usually, I only buy cream of mushroom and cream of chicken. I only buy chicken broth to drink when I am ill with sinus problems. I paid $1 for each of these varieties. 

All these cans will go in a separate place in the bedroom, not the kitchen so I will use what is on the kitchen shelf first. They all have "23" on top and front to help me find what I need and use the older ones, the ones with "22" on the front and top. I may have a few with "21" on the top and label. 

Even better news is the cream of chicken was unsalted. The "unsalted" cream of chicken had only 50 mg of sodium, whereas the regular cream of chicken has 870 mg of sodium. !!! That is quite a large difference. 

The items on my to-do list did not all get done as I felt worse during the day. I am still working on those items. I did get one hummingbird feeder filled after dark, so they were without nectar all day. I was afraid they would give up on me, but they are back this morning. 

I did get out one more box of patterns to go through. And, we are calling today to have patterns, books, and a recliner picked up by a thrift store. I am going through withdrawal because I have no cheddar cheese!

For Monday dinner I told Tommy to make himself a salad and get a piece of chicken to go in it. He got two Roma tomatoes, carrots and Romaine for his salad, a huge one. He knows how ill I feel. Besides, he never minds making his own salad. I made a salad for myself later. 

Monday night, I really, really wanted to get KFC. I started to have Tommy take me there just to get gravy. I lived without it. But, I might have gotten better if I had some gravy. 

Have you found  a good price for stocking up on anything? Are your hummingbirds still coming to the feeders?

23 comments:

  1. That was a great sale on the Campbells soups! No hummingbird feeders this year, but hopefully next year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Belinda,
      Thanks. Campbell's soups are usually $1.75/can. I am returning one feeder to Amazon because the clear top turned yellow.

      Delete
  2. The hummingbirds have left my area for the year. They are usually gone by the end of August/early Sept as it starts getting too cold for them to they head south.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One,
      I have noticed you have had some really cold weather, almost colder than it gets here all winter. As of today, a few are still here at my feeder. Thanks.

      Delete
  3. I think the hummingbirds have left OK.
    And no, I have not seen any good prices. I saw bags of potatoes in an ad at low price but looking closer, I saw they were just 3 pounds instead of 5 or 10 pounds. I guess every package is shrinking

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw one today, so still here, I guess. I hate when I think I found a deal...lol.

      Delete
  4. Interesting about the pine cones. I’ve used for decorating before but never knew about the baking part. Can you explain to me what the baking does and approximate temp/time. I really do learn something new every day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carol,
      When the pinecones are on the tree and fall unopened, they need to be put in the oven to dry and open. I am probably going to put them in at 200F degrees and leave them for an hour, maybe less. I will stand by so they won't catch fire. I put mine on a baking sheet or multiple pie pans.

      Delete
  5. Interesting about the pine cones. I’ve used for decorating before but never knew about the baking part. Can you explain to me what the baking does and approximate temp/time. I really do learn something new every day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Interesting about the pine cones. I’ve used for decorating before but never knew about the baking part. Can you explain to me what the baking does and approximate temp/time. I really do learn something new every day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Interesting about the pine cones. I’ve used for decorating before but never knew about the baking part. Can you explain to me what the baking does and approximate temp/time. I really do learn something new every day.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow good deals you got (I swear soup is supposed to make you well but the sodium content should have a warning on the side!). Glad you are able to stock up in case things go south this winter, you will be all set!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. COL,
      Thanks. With the 2023 date, it will still be good in two years. So, I am prepared for rising prices or shortages.

      Delete
  9. I feel bad as I didn't put out anything for the birds this past summer. It was so hot I barely put my head outside except to water the garden. I did make sure there was fresh water in the bird bath so birds could bathe or drink without scalding themselves. I had hummingbirds come around very early and I saw one just last week. They never used to come at all but now they come every year so it's nice to see them. Today I bought just a few things at the grocers and I saw they have 10 lbs of potatoes for just under $3. which is a bargain here. If I can get back in the next day or so I will buy 20 pounds as Thanksgiving is coming and maybe I can also make Shepard's Pie for freezing. I buy Campbell's soup in 12 can boxes when they are on for $7.98 (a real bargain) which isn't too often but 12 cans of any flavour lasts me forever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joyful,
      Tommy goes out to put the feeders out while I am the one who makes the nectar, washes feeders, and fills them. I have avoided the job of putting them out. Whew! That was/is a good price for soup. I have never seen that price. Since we really don't eat lots of soup, a dozen cans of one flavor would be enough for a couple of years. When I find potatoes at a really good price, there is always a problem, like they are hollow, have huge black spots inside. Weird.

      Delete
    2. You're right about potato quality. They put the worst ones in bags at cheaper pric. I look the bags over carefully because one rotting potato spoils the whole bunch quickly. The ones I saw looked to be good. As for soup I've got 3 doz (different types. I mostly use mushroom for cooking and the tomato and chicken noodle when I don't feel like cooking.

      Delete
    3. Joyful,
      We don't eat many potatoes anymore, but a good sale is usually ruined by poor quality potatoes. The worst bag I ever had was fully of hollow, not rotten potatoes. I use chicken and mushroom. I drink chicken broth for sinuses. Soup is never a sub for dinner or any part of a dinner. I probably eat one can of tomato soup each year.

      Delete
  10. That was a good price for Campbells soups! I have been stocking up here and there. Got several cans of beeferoni and chef boyardee ravioli for $0.80 a can a couple weeks ago. I got some as it makes for a quick lunch for the kids.
    No hummingbird feeders here but I have had a woodpecker visiting my suet feeder in the last 2 weeks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rachel,
      I love Chef boyardee ravioli, but I have not had any in years. Now, I want a can. I have not had a suet feeder in years. Maybe I need one.

      Delete
  11. When we find steaks, Boston butts, or other meats on sale, we buy multiples to put in the freezer. Meat prices are going up!

    I used to purchase low sodium items, too. But now that we eat no processed foods whatsoever, I have found that I need to add salt to almost everything.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Alice,
    Soups and stuff like canned green beans are about the only processed food we eat. Well, it is not so much to me. I need to get a food saver for storing things in the freezer. It is difficult to find bscb on sale nowadays.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Someone is suspicious of stocking up anything perishable. Although the pasta I bought is expiration 2023, the stockpile gives him concerns to get through it asap.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Urspo,
      Pasta is not very perishable. If he wants it to last a long time without bugs, put the pasta in a plastic and freeze for three days. After that, there are no eggs from the processing. No need to rush through it, though.

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...