Monday, October 4, 2021

Today's Agenda and Ebay Surprise

 There are things that must be done today. Even though I awoke very ill, these will be done. Tommy is perfectly willing to help, but he needs direction. 

It is 2 pm. I just got out of bed for the second time today. When I awoke about 9 am, I barely made it in here. And, I barely made it back at noon for a long rest. 

clean off end table. Tommy did that while I lay down. I cannot stand and bend to do it. So, I gave him a bin and asked him to just take things off the table. Even when I try to twist to pick things off the table, I cannot for long. So, I have a bin of junk I can put in my lap or beside me to sort.

wash and refill hummer feeders. That is the next thing I do when I quit typing.

sort at least one box of patterns.  I think there are three or four more boxes. 

wash and trim sweet potatoes and bake enough for several meals.  There is enough baked chicken for two or three meals. 

gather and box books to give away. Tommy has about 100 in his bedroom. I may bring those in here to have him make the decision. I have about 50 that need to go, no decisions needed. All go.

empty and fill dishwasher. 

Make two very important telephone calls. 

Everything above here and some other things will get done today if it kills me. Oh, I won't be bringing Tommy's books to him. 

I ate nothing before 2 pm. When I did eat, I had a can of Campbell's Cream of Chicken Soup. I don't dilute it, just eat it from can, heated. It seems more efficient that way and takes less time. I did eat the low-sodium stuff. A banana is next. 

This bit of illness is my October problem. I am medicating with otc, prescriptions, foods, and rest. Hopefully, this will not be another lost October. Maybe I won't have to take an antibiotic. Keep your fingers crossed. 

Hopefully, I can get to the park and get pinecones and pinestraw today, just what I need to be doing with allergies assailing my system. I need pine straw to put in the pot of dirt where the pumpkin lives. The pinestraw is for drainage so the pumpkin will last longer. The pinecones are for putting in the pumpkin for decoration and later for Thanksgiving and Christmas. At my house, I had three pine trees and never lacked for straw or pinecones. Maybe I had five pine trees. 

Just now, I received a box from ebay. Now, what did I order? So, Tommy cut it open and I looked inside. BOOKS!!! These are not going to go away until I read them Thanks. A blogger friend said she was going to mail books to me. It had slipped my mind. So, I now have a dozen really good  books to read. She know me well. I was thinking about getting a copy of Moby Dick. And, she sent me a copy of Cliffs Notes. Cool. 

I suppose it is a good thing so many books I don't want to read are leaving here to find new homes. 

Do you ever decorate with pine cones for any holiday? When I was a child, I liked to paint them silver for Christmas. I did that too as a young adult. I think I got silver paint to paint them one time. I remember drippy silver paint.  I loved silver paint! Did you ever spray pinecones for Christmas decorations. 

Okay, it is almost 3 pm, so I need to start on my list.


12 comments:

  1. I hope your at home remedies fix your health situation. It’s no fun feeling bad

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rhonda,
      Most of the time, they do work. But, I must be diligent in doing all it takes. Otherwise, I have to get an antibiotic! No fun at all.

      Delete
  2. My mom and dad always gathered pine cones for Christmas decorations. We spray-painted them (I think) , some silver and some gold. Some we attached red and green ribbons to and hung them along with our other decorations on our Christmas tree. Need I tell you, we were very poor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. rhymes,
      We were poor, too. But, pinecones are free and abundant, thankfully. It seems now like having pinecones sprayed silver or gold is an integral part of Christmas for me.

      Delete
  3. When I was a kid we sprayed pinecones.
    I used to have a fall wreath made of pinecones and nuts. I baked the pinecones for about 3 hours to kill any critters before I made it .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne,
      I have never had one with nuts on it. But, it sounds perfect for Fall/Thanksgiving. Yes, the pinecones must go in the oven.

      Delete
  4. It sounds like you like to decorate for the holidays. I've never been a decorator for holidays but this year I put together a pot of artificial flowers in fall colours with some very tiny lights strung through them. I thought it would be a nice hygge touch during the growing dark days and nights. I'm enjoying the look especially since I don't have a fixture in the dining room right now. In a few weeks I'll buy some sparkling red and green artificial plants and change things out for Christmas. I used to use fresh pine cones a lot but somewhere along the line I stopped. Maybe when I started getting them attached to garlands for Christmas. Last night I repotted several plants that outgrow the small pots I bought only a few months ago. I think they will be good without repotting now for quite some time. I managed to get out today to complete a shopping trip I started last Thursday. It feels good to get that out of the way. If all goes well I may finally get some help this week to put up my new light fixture and I might also put up the curtains I bought a month ago. Like you I cook ahead for a few meals and just nibble here and there as well as round it all out with fresh fruit and sometimes snacks. When I don't have to cook and do many dishes, it frees up some time to get the 'projects' done. If I get on a roll I might actually finish everything by Christmas (painting and a few maintenance issues in the kitchen and bathroom. I pray you will feel much better this month than you normally do. We seem to share a few commonalities health wise as I too always feel lousy come October and it lasts until the warm weather returns. TCM practitioners diagnose me with damp heat and say that the rain is not good for me. I stay here in a very damp climate because it is the best place in this province to get health care of all kinds otherwise I have to travel to get it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like to decorate, but cannot decorate like I once did. And, I don't have the bannister to upstairs and large rooms. Plus, a lot of it is just gone. I will feel somewhat better after October, but not much! If I go outside on a beautiful summer evening, I will be ill by midnight from dampness. It is damp here, too. What is TCM? Having good healthcare is worth lots.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TCM is short for Traditional Chinese Medicine. I found it really works but the cost is not covered and I cannot spend all that is required to get a good result. I do it for a few months maximum and I haven't done any for some time. It usually involves diagnosis (pulse and examination of tongue, eyes etc., various herb concoctions and acupuncture, sometimes foot baths and moxibustion). I actually enjoy it but the cost can really add up. No quick fixes though you can get some pain relief for different things with acupuncture within a few short visits it will only be temporary.

      Delete
    2. Joyful,
      Thanks about the TCM. I do believe it will help with pain.

      Delete
  6. For those of us newer readers, did you injure your back in an accident? Back issues are not good !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Connie,
      I have four problems--discs, cracking vertebrae, stenosis, and my vertebrae are not sitting one on top of the other as one has slipped. There have been injuries over the years.

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...