Sunday, November 7, 2021

Don't Toss the Dead Mum...Decorate It




 On Friday I got from the freezer a package of strawberries. Digging around in the freezer the day before I had pulled out shortcakes for strawberry shortcakes. Then, on Saturday, I decided to make the Hershey's Chocolate Mousse. Then, we barely ate either which is a good thing. Well, Tommy did have the cake with ice cream on top and then half the strawberries. That was huge, but he did not go back for seconds. 

All day Saturday, I felt ill. Just before my antibiotic, I started feeling like myself. Of course, taking the med makes me feel worse!

I saw something on tiktok I am going to make. I have no idea where it was. But, you know how a spent mum looks? Well, this woman sprayed hers silver and attached ornaments, just sort of sticking there, not hanging. It was stunning. She said gold would look good. I suppose red or green or any other color spray paint would look very pretty.   With the shelves almost bare of spray paint, I do hope I can find silver spray paint. On the porch I think white flocking would be striking. But, flocking might not hold up to rain and wind.



I have a planter that must be identical to this one. Well, it is the same shape and size. 

Just now, I took a huge hen from the freezer.  I will put a couple of pounds of carrots, bell pepper, celery, and onion and the hen in a cooking bag. This will be the basis for at least a dozen meals. It is huge!!! Since I only have one onion, unless I buy more, only one onion will go into the bag with the chicken. 

In a bit, we need to go back to the freezer to find a cooked meat for tonight. There is frozen chicken and beef, but I want chicken.

I am excited about the extended life my mum will have! Are you planning your Christmas decorations yet? What are you planning? 

18 comments:

  1. I am cutting the tops off of my mums and planting them.
    I have already started Christmas decorations, but only because we might have a large group here 2 days after we get back from Oregon and I want the house to look festive. If it turns out they can't make it I will still come home to a decorated house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne,
      I would do that, but Tommy won't allow anything to be planted since a neighbor cuts his yard to help him. ugh

      I would want the house decorated, too, when I came home, especially if it were a group.

      Delete
  2. I need to look up if it's possible to get a mum to come back in my climate. That would be terrific.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SAM,
      Some flowers do come back if they are mulched well. Turn another pot over the cut mums and still mulch. Maybe it would work as it could not hurt to try. I hope it works for you.

      Delete
  3. I just composted the mums I have. Here, they come back considerably smaller if they come back at all. What I WILL do for the holidays is cut holly boughs, which is quite prolific here, and stick it in the flower pots on my front porch. I thought I'd do that around Thanksgiving. I try not to decorate until after clean up on Thanksgiving, but confess to having some Christmas hand soap dispensers which DH bought me, out already. (I didn't want to store/move partially used dispensers.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meg B,
      I had an abundance of holly at my house, not so much here. I love that idea. I took a huge bunch of holly to a friend's open house at Christmas and she had me put them on the front porch. Holly always played prominently in my decorating. I am sure yours will be beautiful.

      Delete
  4. I love that mum idea. It is really cute. I haven't thought about Christmas decorations yet but we will use what we have here. We will probably decorate the weekend after Thanksgiving per tradition although Bill is talking about putting the outside lights up this week as he has a couple days off and temperatures are supposed to be in the high 50s/low 60s.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rachel,
      I am not really thinking about decoration much either, but the picture popped up somewhere. The weekend after Thanksgiving is usually when I decorate, too. I won't be buying anything either, I think.

      Delete
  5. What a neat idea with the mums! I love the way it looks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Belinda,
      I thought it was a good idea. Now, to find paint! I want silver or gold. but, I may settle for red or white gloss that I own.

      Delete
  6. I saw that very idea last year and my husband did just that for me. Not sure if he will this year, too. But our mums are spent for this year already that's for sure. We've had two hard freezes and several frosty mornings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alice,
      I had never seen this before. I suppose I don't spend enough time on etsy or tiktok! What color did he paint yours?

      Delete
    2. He did silver. It was nice. But I don't think we put ornaments in them.

      Delete
  7. It really is pretty but these fabulous looking crafty things never work for me, they always look like a pre-school child made it.

    I haven't actually thought about Christmas, I'm completely distracted by what has to be paid for and when. By the time I can evict those issues from my brain it will probably be too late to do a lot of Christmas planning but that's ok, we always have a nice time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. kylie,
      You made me laugh. If it is shiny, it will be okay. If it is garish, it will be okay. You may be too hard on yourself.

      As long as you have a nice time, it will be okay. Even a short term plan works.

      Delete
    2. I hear you, Kylie! If I spray painted a dead mum and stuffed it with ornaments, it would look completely stupid and my friends would heckle me mercilessly. I can't even make a basic string of lights look nice...
      My friend that passed away recently was completely opposite. She could make anything look fabulous and expensive. Her college students were constantly cooing over her ensembles, so her taste and style impressed all the ages. I was completely in awe of her talent!

      Delete
    3. Sue,
      Well, it may not turn out well, but I have high expectations. Some people have the touch, for sure.

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...