Thursday, November 18, 2021

Exhausting but Happy Wednesday, Now Thursday

Wednesday morning, I awoke mostly rested, since I never feel well in the morning. I woke at 8 am and washed my hair and made a chicken sandwich to take with me for breakfast. We were out of the house by 9:10. I ate the sandwich and a glass of milk in the car. Then, we hit a 10 mile traffic jam and never did find out what happened. We mostly sat and occasionally drove 3 mph! 

If I look closely to my face, I am probably wind-burned! 

A church was having their monthly lunch pickup. It was going to be turkey and dressing, green bean casserole, sweet potato casserole, roll and cranberry sauce. Plus, there was chocolate cake or pecan pie. Consequently, the line was longer than usual.  The word gets out and people come in droves. Plus, some people picked up 30+ dinners, picking up for groups of people or individuals who cannot get out of the house. 

We invited Tommy's cousin to eat outdoors with us at a different park. Sportsman's Lake is closed while they decorate for Christmas Light Tour in the park. We also planned to pick up two lunches for our 90-year-old friends we usually meet in the park. He is ill and had been in the hospital and won't eat or drink enough to survive the kidney infection. 

We sat for two hours talking and laughing with Tommy's cousin. We really like him. The wind was blowing in gusts that blew my hair in my eyes and face and twisted it up. I fully expect to wake on Thursday with a horrible sinus infection and accompanying ear pain.  I sat where the wind was in my face. Tommy and cousin had it to their back and side, better positions, I think. 

The leaves were falling and flying in the wind. Even under the pavilion, two flew into my food, three or four onto the table, and one huge one fell on Tommy's food, and more on all of us, the table, and onto us. The venue under the trees was very pleasant. 

We forgot to go the PO, went to two grocery stores, my house. We were home by 4:15. It was a long day. all the talking and laughing and the hard wind took their toll on me...lol. I took a nap from 5:30 to 7 pm and got up to eat with Tommy. 

We brought home two lunches and had them for dinner. We shared a small piece of cake and a small piece of pie. I seriously overate and could not finish my meal for dinner. Tommy took my turkey and put it in a sandwich bag. He has baggies down pat and sees the slice of turkey as his lunch. Good man. 

Wednesday was a very good day with a friend, picnic, and great lunch. I did not freeze the sweet potatoes. Tomorrow will be a new day. Maybe I will make mashed potatoes and freeze them. I do know I won't make sweet potato casserole since I have had my fix and need no more added sweetness. 

We did stay a bit and talked to the wife of friend who won't eat or drink enough. His wife is so worried. The next time we go, we will get watermelon chunks in Publix and take that to him to help with hydration. They are 90 and both still drive. Last year, they drove to Michigan and made it back in one piece. 

Thursday

I slept well and awoke ill. This is what the wind does for me. Nose, sinuses, ears, sore throat and chest all involved. Now, my job is to soothe and decongest all this. Otherwise, a fever will ensue and I will be miserable. I went to bed at 1 am. Tommy stayed up later. And, he always accuses me of making him miss sleep...lol. 

I do have things to do. I plan to freeze the sweet potatoes in portions, make gravy. If all goes well, I will have the gravy to the point of using fresh turkey drippings. I will save out enough sweet potatoes for one meal. That huge bowl will vacate a huge space in the refrigerator. I need the room. 

This is something I started about 40 years ago. I don't want to be stirring flour on the stove with oil continually to brown it on Thanksgiving Day!  My back cannot handle that these days. But, I started this just because it was more convenient. I can put the browned flour and oil mixture into a very small bowl to store it until Thanksgiving day. Or, in this case until I put the turkey juice in it. By that time, I will have the stored turkey and at least one of the ten half-gallons of milk from the refrigerator. 

Maybe I will just make mashed potatoes and freeze them.

It is almost 3 pm and I am tired and losing ambition. Tonight, we will have turkey breast, sweet potatoes, and kale. 

Has anyone done the hard work of browning flour and oil for gravy ahead of the day? What dishes do you or did you prepare before the DAY? By adding drippings later, the gravy does not have to fit into the refrigerator. Mama was always cooking everything on Thanksgiving. So, did I until I figured out better. There were reasons she worked unnecessarily hard, so not judgment there. 

6 comments:

  1. I wouldn't even want to drive to Michigan and back and I'm only 57 LOL. Your lunch sounds good and good company.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kim,
      Up until now, they both have seemed indefatigable! It was a fun lunch and company, delicious.

      Delete
  2. That was nice to be able to pick up the dinners from the church. I haven’t started any cooking for Thanksgiving. I think we are going to pass on it this year. Mom Mom has ordered us some dinners so we won’t be doing without.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Belinda,
      We enjoy those lunches! And, we had good company. I am to the point that bought is almost as good as home-cooking.

      Delete
  3. I make most things the day before Thanksgiving, including the turkey. I roast the bird, cut it up and put it in a big covered casserole for reheating with about an inch of stock in the bottom. Bones go in a bag to make stock when I am ready. I defat the turkey drippings overnight for gravy the next day. I make gravy with butter and flour and it really doesn't take long to brown. I chop lots of onion, celery, and garlic to include in various dishes. I will prep all the veggies for cooking. So really, just veggie side dishes, dressing, rolls, and gravy are made on Thanksgiving. Which is more than enough work!

    I would love to order Thanksgiving dinner from the local market, but I'd be so afraid the sides wouldn't be up to snuff. And it's all about the sides, as far as I'm concerned.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In the past, I have made many things the day before, but always roasted the turkey that day. I like things the way I make them. Of course, when served food, even if it is not to my taste, I certainly don't complain. But, that fear will keep me cooking for myself. Sides are the reason...lol.

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...