Friday, November 5, 2021

Help with Meals and TMI and First Social Engagement

Last night, Tommy was a great help.  He washed four sweet potatoes, and brought them to me in the living room. I trimmed them and oiled them, and he took them and put them in the oven. He got a can of kale that I opened. We stood in front of the freezer looking for cooked meat. I found two cups of ground beef and we ate that with leftover spaghetti sauce. So, kale, sweet potatoes, and blackeyed peas was dinner. 

Later, he wrapped the two sweet potatoes and put them in the refrigerator, emptied the rest of the kale into a glass dish and put it away. He put all the dishes in the sink and put water into them. I did nothing except get up and go to the bathroom. Dinner was delicious. The meat and spaghetti sauce was eaten after the vegetables. I should have skipped it. 

While we looked in the freezer, I found two bags of colcannon, and chopped cooked chicken. It is good to know that for meals the next few days. 

You have been warned!

At 5 am, I went to the bathroom. I lay in  bed until 6 am and had a huge belch or hiccup or something. Fearing the worst, I headed for the tiny plastic waste basket in the kitchen. I made it and started violently throwing up when I got to the bed. I could not have stood if I started before then. Okay, a point you could do without--2cups later and I was drained. 

Somewhere in all of this, I screechingly called out for Tommy, yelling his name. He said I sounded frantic. He thought I had fallen. He brought me a washcloth and a disposable cup, and emptied the plastic waste basket, washed and dried it, and brought it back to me. He stayed around another 30 seconds and was back to his chair. I was not in any shape to walk. I spread a large towel on the bed and dared to lie down. 

I really wanted to go to AFC in Cullman but knew I should go here to a more local one. Local is about 30 miles away! I called my new family doctor and was able to get in to see him an hour before he left for the short Friday. I told him I had a uti, he listened and wanted a sample. Since I had less than 3 ounces of water since 9 pm the night before, I doubted I could produce anything. Well, I did. 

Then, the ordeal with the drug store began. It is almost 4 pm, and the two prescriptions I called in on Wednesday and the two refills from Thursday AND the two from today are not ready. Always something. 

With my symptoms, I could not go into his office. I had to go to the respiratory part of his office, entirely on another floor. He came up to me. I was impressed. 

This is the first uti I have had in over two years! 

Dinner Friday night--hamburger, salad and leftovers. The leftovers are two tablespoons of green beans and about the same of collards that were left in the bottom of the dishes. We dipped from the bowls and left some that I don't want to throw away. I will eat those. 

Our new friend down the street invited us over on Monday night for snacks. So, we will go, but I am nervous about taking off my mask off inside with people/person. I think it is exciting. Maybe scary. I am not sure what the emotion is that I am feeling. 



8 comments:

  1. Glad Tommy is helping you out. So sorry you are ill again.
    What is colcannon?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rachel,
      Thanks. He is good to help. Colcannon is the potato cabbage dish I made. It is mashed potatoes, basically, with cooked cabbage in it--delicious.

      Delete
  2. I hope you feel better now with your medical care.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My goodness, I am so sorry you had to go through that! I hope the antibiotics are starting to work. I am astounded that UTIs have such dire symptoms as one ages. Dang, and I thought painful urination was the worst...
    Tommy rises to the occasion again! Good man. :^)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue,
      It is so difficult. I was shocked, too. And, before I loaded up on Vit D, I had a uti about every three weeks. He can rise to the occasion when I am desperate.

      Delete
  4. I’m sorry you were so sick and hope you’re feeling better. I’m glad Tommy is there to help out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Belinda,
      Thanks. I am feeling about the same, but hope the meds help a bit before the day is over. He has been very helpful.

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...