Tuesday, November 9, 2021

Monday Dinner Out and Handyman

 We were invited to my new friend's house Monday night. We had so much fun and she was saying how much she enjoyed us coming and we would have to do it again. She bought three chicken breasts from Publix, a package of potato salad and one of slaw. Smart woman. Before dinner we had strawberries and peanuts. This is my kind of hostess. My kind of friend. My kind of woman. (Okay, dinner out was without a mask inside of a friend's house.)

We met her when I insisted on stopping and talking to her as she was in her yard. I make friends everywhere! 

Her home is a small unassuming brick, with a beautiful yard. Inside, her home is well-appointed, stuffed full of very nice furniture. I was surprised. She had to downsize and kept what she could. 

She was so thoughtful in that she put her dog in the bedroom for the evening. That is a plus. I had a very good friend who allowed her dog to lie across my feet over my objections. I did not say a word, just moved my chair back until I was six feet from the dining table. Dog owners are one of the reason I "don't like dogs."

We talked about everything under the sun! She is funny and interesting, and not a bit shy. Tommy had a good time, too. Of course, we let him talk...lol. He seemed to really enjoy her company. 

This is the first time we have been with anyone without our mask, in someone's home, or with a person while eating. We did meet our friends in Cullman in the park, but they are in their 90s, and the weather has not been fit on the free lunch day. I don't know if they are up to cold weather. We would sit outdoors and just bring a blanket to wrap in while we eat, but I am not sure how they would feel about this arrangement. 

Tuesday, a friend from Cullman came down here and cut a tree and suckers that were going to ruin Tommy's roof. The suckers were  20 feet tall. Then, he cut a 20 foot tree that was right next to the house, within 6 inches of the foundation. Tommy and I fought bitterly as to whether these two trees would ruin the roof. He also cut some firewood for himself! None of the trees or limbs were over 4 inches in diameter. 

Then, he climbed on the roof and used his leaf blower to clean out the gutters. I have never heard of anyone using a leaf blower for gutters, but I suppose  it works. And, he walked carefully so as not to damage the roof. This guy is a jack-of-all trades, retired military. I have known him for well over 20 years. No, he did this for me and he is not a handyman. But, he is a handy man. 

He said the last time he climbed on a roof or up a tree, forgot which, he ended up in the hospital. He told me he wanted to go to UAB. So, with that settled, he worked steadily. He also said his wife did not want him to get on the ladder. Yikes! 

I have something he wanted to trade for. So, that deal was done. Plus, I gave him $30 for gas. He  objected and finally put it in his pocket. 

Today, I drove my car and put gas in it. Well, I drove and Tommy pumped the gas. Dinner will be light tonight, something I do not have to prepare! We have a bag of salad and there is ham I bought to feed J. And, there is fruit. 

We had a busy and fruitful twenty-four hours. Today, I think the predicted temperature was 74F. It has been very warm and pleasant. 

I have other things J wants, so he might do the things that need to be done around here. 

6 comments:

  1. Sounds like you made a great new friend. How nice of her to have you all over for dinner. Im glad you had a good time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Belinda,
      I really like her! Yes, and now I cannot invite her for dinner!

      Delete
  2. What are suckers? I'm assuming some sort of invasive vine but I haven't heard that term before. Also, I hire a landscaper to do my yard and he also uses a leaf blower to do my gutters, so I guess it's a thing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. obscure,
      There were several trees growing up at the base of the tree. Also, there was a wild cherry growing almost into the base of the oak. Then, there were several vines, so alive and some dead. He said he was going to cut those suckers, too. So, I just did not ask. Basically, the tree is cleaned up and looks good. I did not have gutters at my house, so I never saw anyone clean them. I hope this clears up the confusion. And, I am glad to know that is the way to clean the gutters. I suppose getting it out with your hand or on a ladder is not a good way or fast. Plus, a person does not fall off a ladder.

      Delete
  3. Trees (and bushes) grow suckers in response to stress or aging. They are unhealthy and usually badly situated and compromise the overall health of the plant.
    Using leafblowers to clean gutters has been around a while. It's just so much faster and easier than climbing a ladder. Although if you lose your balance, you'll fall off the roof!

    I'm glad you had a grand time with your new friend, but why can't you invite her over for dinner?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue,
      Thanks for that lesson...lol. I know what a sucker is on a tomato! But, I was not sure what he meant. Of course, he did cut off some little twiggy things growing low on the tree.

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...