Wednesday, November 10, 2021

Turkey Deal

 Today, at Publix I got a good deal. Butterball Turkey Breasts were advertised for $0.99/lb. I wanted the two allowed! I went in and bought a2milk at 3 half gallons/$10. I will buy 3 more on Monday. Then, I picked up 2 boxes of turkey bags. Since I did not see the turkey breasts, I asked. The guy took me to them where there was a sign for $0.99/lb. I had him put the two largest in the electric cart, got bogo Mayfield ice cream and was ready to check out. I happened to see the screen with my transactions--turkey breast $19.79. 

"no no no no"...this was a quiet voice caution not a yell..."that is the wrong price." I was assured this was the correct price. I told them an employee helped me and said these were $0.99/lb. AND, there was a sign there. My turkey breasts were quickly whisked away from me and returned to their home in the freezer. 

I was stunned. My turkey breasts were spirited away. But, another employee, higher pay grade, came over, listened to me, and we went back to the turkey breasts, she with ad in her hand.  She compared ad and turkey breasts and the signage. Then, she told a meat guy it was priced wrong on the tag. 

THEN, I remembered that if something rings up wrong, the item is free. So, I asked. Naturally, the cheapest breast was free, but no matter. I got a free breast and one for  $0.99/lb. 

I paid $6.28+tax for 12.01 pounds of turkey breast! That is meat, folks, for $0.52/lb, 

Fifty-two cents for one pound. 52 cents

This price is cheaper than chicken breasts and about the same as dark parts of the chicken. 

Turkeys were $0.49/lb., but I decided that the breast would work. There is a hen thawing for any good flavors that the dark meat gives. I only eat breast. Tommy eats the dark meat but prefers the breast. 

We went to Cullman, today, but that is a tale for tomorrow. 

So, today was a good day at Publix. We will get two more turkey breasts for year round eating! 

Tommy said he wondered how many people paid original price of $3.48, the price that made the first breast cost $19.79. I imagine lots of people will come back complaining.

What prices have you found for whole turkey or turkey breast?

21 comments:

  1. I can imagine it's difficult staying up on all the ads but they seemed to do right by the error for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SAM,
      I am quite they have a system in place to make sure the people who price food know what are prices. It seems they blamed this on mispricing. I was pleased. I have gotten quite a few free things that they rang up wrong. Well, the price was wrong.

      Delete
  2. Wow, what a great deal you ended up getting. That is one for the books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Belinda,
      I would like to find a breast with the wrong price again. I was so happy.

      Delete
  3. Nice job on standing your ground and getting what you were entitled to!
    I got a $38.00 turkey last year for free. I had told my husband to get the turkey that was on sale but no, he got some dumb "heritage" turkey that was stupid expensive. Lucky for me the price charged was different than the advertised price/lb. I made him take the receipt and the ad back to the store. Didn't bother sending the turkey with him for proof 'cause I knew that overpriced fancy-shmancy bird was ALL MINE! LOL!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue,
      WOW! That was a good buy. When I take things back rung up wrong, I never take the item if I have the receipt. That was a smart move. I am glad your husband was willing to go back. Good job.

      Delete
    2. Did he have a choice? Why, no. No he did not. Bwahahahahaha!!!

      Delete
    3. That is the first time I EVER got an item for free because of store ineptness, but by god it was a doozy!

      Delete
    4. Sue,
      Nope, no choice...lol. I get stuff all the time, but never that much as you did all at once. I would have been celebrating.

      Delete
  4. I'm sure your frequent freebies have added up to far more!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hubby found a sale for whole turkeys at 0.33 per pound so picked one up for Thanksgiving. I do enjoy a good turkey meal, but tire of it quickly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alice,
      Whole turkeys were $0.49/lb, yesterday. But, I have one and we just like the breast, so.... It is great you found that price. I might have relented and gotten one at that price. I never tire of turkey. I just asked Tommy, and he gets tired of turkey.

      Delete
  6. Meijers is advertising whole frozen turkeys for $.33 a pound. I no longer am the one who provides the turkey, but I thought that was a good price.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carole,
      That is a great price, one I don't think I have seen. We don't have Meijers.

      Delete
  7. I always speak up if I catch the error. If I don't, and it's a huge difference, I go back to the store with receipt and product the next day. Yes, the store I typically frequent gives me the item for free. Also, this store seems to have a "customer is always right" policy. Then again, they know me. I've missed a few errors, I'm sure, though.
    Shortly after the holidays I found small (under 12 pounds) whole, cooked turkeys for $0.50/lb. One regular, one smoked. They have long since been eaten. (And were actually quite good.) I have a turkey breast in the freezer for Thanksgiving, purchased about the same time. I am pretty sure it was $0.99/lb, but it may have been less. I learned a long time ago, that unless I want a fresh turkey, to buy my Thanksgiving turkey *after* the holidays. As fresh turkey breasts are very hard to find, and we typically don't enjoy a whole turkey, finding the next year's turkey after the holidays is easy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meg,
      I will speak up and if they don't agree, I show them, make them go look at the sign or ad. Some workers make up their mind based on what they believe, not the facts! That was a good price on cooked turkeys. Oh, except for these turkey breasts, after Thanksgiving and Christmas is when I buy turkey for the next year. It makes sense.

      Delete
  8. I am not a big turkey fan but I do love a deal. These stores you have to watch them all the time. If I see it ring up wrong I address it right there. I always have my ads with me. Last time I bought chicken breasts, my total seemed high, I asked the checker if it rang up the sell price, he said yes. So fine, once I got out of the store I checked the receipt and it did not. I went right back in with the receipt and ad, got my card credited. This happens all the time. They (the store) just assumes you won't check. This store has great loss leaders so I won't stop using them but I think that is really sad that they choose to try not to honor their ads. Sometimes they will not have the product but I am not ashamed to get a rain check when needed. I know I will be back and just get the product at the sale price. They seem to think no one will question them. WRONG and it makes them look a fool, but I do know they get away with it for some and that makes me angry. So many people out there on fixed incomes. They should not be taking advantage of older people on social security when every penny counts. Check your reciepts, take your magnifying glass with you if you need it. Do not be embarrassed to demand the correct price.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did catch everything, but now, I often don't because they are busy getting me out of the way and out the door. What mistakes I don't catch inside, I catch out the door. And, I do check it at home. I will go back! They blame it on computers. I don't think so.

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...