Monday, November 22, 2021

Sunday Night and Tomato Seeds

 Sunday night did not go as planned. The turkey had been in the freezer for several days and on the top shelf. It was still frozen almost solid. So, I put it in a pan in the sink with cold water on it, not over. I was disgusted. Now, it is almost 10 pm and I have to roast it, wait for it to cool, remove the breast and have Tommy remove the meat from the carcass. Neither of us are looking forward to this chore. But, we are willing. I checked with Tommy to see if he cared. Since it is still partially frozen, it will have to cook longer. GAH! I am glad I had a nap. 

We had a delicious and healthy salad, lots of Romaine, turkey on it, and tomato. I had shredded cheese. 

When I bought Tommy's cereal today, I bought two more bags as they were 3 bags for $10. We love Romaine, all sorts of greens for salads. My favorite way to use turkey after Thanksgiving is whole wheat bread, turkey, Miracle Whip, slices of real cheese and spinach, lots of spinach. Tomato slides off so I just dice a tomato and eat it with a fork. His cereal was bogo. 

He told me today he needed cereal and yesterday that he needed milk. He was completely out of both. I suppose I need to ask him every time I go to the grocery if he needs either! He will not tell me beforehand. Oh well. 

One day, I noticed a piece of something on Tommy's empty plate. We had a salad and the piece was huge and looked like tomato. I asked. It was tomato, so I asked why he left it. SEEDS. He hates tomato seeds and the membranes around them He said he liked the last tomatoes I brought home because they had few seeds. I think that part seed part of the tomato is really tasty, unlike him. Is there anyone who does not care for the soft part of the tomato with seeds? 

It is now Monday, and I have prepared 6 huge Granny Smith apples. I am making a pie in two rectangular glass pans. It will have a topping, plus all the spices inside the pie. This is one of my projects for the day. I need to wash my hair, make the gravy, and freeze the turkey I cooked last night. Tommy is going to take the rest of the meat off the carcass. The wings and legs will be frozen for him and he will take that meat off as he is ready to eat it for a meal, his idea, not mine. 

One of the pies is for now, the other for later, like Christmas. Maybe I will get two pumpkins baked tomorrow. I just looked at the recipe, and I intend to only use half the sugar. 

Now that I have finished the antibiotic, I feel soooo much better. However, I still did not sleep because of J trying to cheat me out of something. Well, he is cheating me! Maybe I will take a nap. 

Seriously, do the tomato seeds and the membrane surrounding them bother you? I like them when I put home-tomatoes in soup. Is anyone else baking apple pie for Thanksgiving?

14 comments:

  1. First I am glad you are feeling better. Tomato seeds or the interior flesh, never heard of people not wanting that. When my Mom had to come live with me she wanted a me to peel her tomatos. Not an easy task but I learned to do it. I also took care of a friend that lost a leg due to diabetes. I could not feed him enough tomatos. He loved them breakfast, lunch and dinner. I thought I might go broke buying tomatoes.

    I think apple pie for anything is a good way to go. I have never met anyone that does not like it. I nust admit I like mine warm with vanilla ice cream.I might make one for Thanksgiving, it sounds good. I am lazy so I will use the apple pie filling I get Aldis.

    Who is J and what is he cheating from you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hate when antibiotics make me feel worse than the illness! I do not peel tomatoes for us or when I serve them--too much trouble. But, I might for my mother. He is the only person I know of who cannot stand the seeds and that part. This apple pie is a combo of several recipes and my experience. I left off the crust, mixed flour and sugar and spices with the apples, put them in a buttered dish, and put a top like apple betty on top. Oh, added a bit of oj like apple betty calls for. Tommy hates ice cream on anything. I know, weird. I could eat ice cream on it, but we only have chocolate.

      Delete
  2. Lol, my oldest daughter hates the seeds and membrane!! I can get her to eat plum tomatoes only. She is fine with any kind of tomato sauce. But just a slice of beautiful summer tomato makes her feel ill! She is the only one out of a family of 6 like that. As she is getting older she is getting better but she's 39 now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Irene,
      I don't understand it and I suppose you don't either. That is the tastiest part for me. Thanks. I will tell Tommy he is not alone.

      Delete
  3. I know you would peel tomatoes for your Mom just like did. I do not why Tommy does not like that part of the tomato. I will admit if I go out for a sandwhich I leave off the tomatoes. I can't finish one of those big sandwhiches in one sitting. I find everything to go mushy when I have leftovers because the tomatoes have to much liquid.
    I like to keep both vanilla and chocolate ice cream. The vsnilla is great on fruit desserts and warm brownies. The chocolate is my favorite for a coke float and also my grandsons favorite. Your apple pie dessert sounds great to me, and even better with the ice cream just for you. Tommy can have his without! If I don't talk with you again this week, have a happy holiday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Texas,
    I agree that tomato on a leftover sandwich makes it mushy. I will eat it anyway. Of course, by that time, it falls apart so a fork is needed.

    Tommy thinks Coke and chocolate ice cream sounds gross. It is my favorite.

    Have a great Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like all of the tomato, except for the skin if it is tough.I just pull the skin off of mine after they are sliced and ready for my sandwich. There is not much left of the tomato if Tommy gets rid of the seeds and juicy part. Has anyone ever been all ready to slice up a tomato that looked perfectly red and ripe and when you cut into it, the little seeds in it were all starting to sprout and grow into teeny plants, the leaves were just barely starting to form on the tiny sprout that was coming from the seeds. I did not eat that tomato, I was worried that the tomato sprouts might give me a belly ache, plus they just looked peculiar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. susie,
      I bought some amazing tomatoes at the market. They had few seeds and seed pockets, so he loves them. But, I have never seen tomatoes like these.

      I have never seen tomato seeds sprouting in tomatoes. But, I was reading about that on Saturday. Amazing. It said the tomatoes got too warm. You are the only person I know who has ever seen that.

      Delete
    2. Hah! I have seen sprouted seeds in tomatoes lots of times! As long as the tomato itself hasn't deteriorated, I eat them because sprouted seeds are full of nutrition.
      I only love the seeds/gel on a fresh, ripe, garden tomato. If I have to eat store bought, I get plum tomatoes because they don't have much seeds or bitter gel.
      My big ol' free turkey is still water thawing in the cooler. Honestly, I don't think it will be thawed by Thursday morning. So I have made the executive decision that we will have Thai takeout! I will make steamed broccoli, carrots, and green beans. And we will have Panang curry, Pad Thai noodles, and Basil Chicken. And I will be very thankful for it!

      Chocolate ice cream and Coke. I...cannot even imagine what that must taste like. 8^O

      Delete
    3. Sue,
      The article said the same thing, okay to eat.

      I get grape tomatoes or Roma. Roma maybe what you are calling plum. Actually, I think grape tomatoes are the only tomato in winter that tastes like a summer tomato.

      I have thawed turkey in water but filled the sink with water. These tiny turkeys and the turkey breasts may go into a stock pot that will hold them. The refrigerator has been overly stuffed and the turkey did not thaw much.

      It is delicious. Does that face mean that you would like it or not? I don't know emojis.

      Delete
    4. It means my eyes are bugging out and my mouth is wide open. In shock. I really can't imagine.
      I can only guess that it might be rather like a root beer float with vanilla ice cream. That shizz is goooooood! So I suppose a Coke float with chocolate ice cream might be just as good.
      Does the Coke have to be regular, or can it be diet? Because I fully intend to try it, I just never drink regular Coke, so I'd have to buy a can.

      Delete
    5. Sue,
      It is delicious! When the ice cream melts and is in the Coke, it is sooooo delicious. It has to be regular Coke. I tried diet and it is not good at all. I want to hear how you like it. Make sure the Coke is really cold, but not with ice crystals. In the refrigerator is fine. Once I just used a room temp Coke and was disappointed I was so impatient.

      Delete
    6. PS I think plum and Roma are interchangeabl, but not certain. I do know that my absolute favorite Roma tomato is the Striped (or speckled) Roman.

      Delete
    7. Sue,
      That is what I thought. I don't know one Roma from the other.

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...