Wednesday, November 3, 2021

Criminal Scandal--Tennessee Children's Home Society

 But, first...

Yesterday, Tuesday, I put sweet potatoes in the oven to bake. My feet and legs were swollen, so I lay down in bed and told Tommy to get me up at 8:15. Of course, I went to sleep.  He came in and said, "Linda, it's 8:15, time to get up." He said that I said in a sleepy voice, "Why am I getting up at this time?"  "You said the sweet potatoes would be done." He said I perked up and said in a normal voice, "Oh!" and got right up. I was so tired. I like this kind of dinner with leftover meat loaf and leftover meatballs. I opened a can of collard greens and the sweet potatoes were steaming hot. It seems when he wakes me most of the time that I have no idea why I told him to wake me.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

In 1945, a man was living as though he were single, dating and lying. He seduced a single woman and impregnated her. She insisted he marry her. Then, he told her he was married. His wife refused to give him a divorce. 

One Christmas Day, he went to his home and five children. His wife worked the night shift at a factory. He sent the babysitter home and spent the night there. In the morning, he went to the police station and told them his wife had left five children home, one an infant, the oldest only eight-years-old. 

When the mother got off the bus, she saw police cars and all sorts of vehicles at her home. Upset, she went screaming down the street to her home and children. The authorities took her children and put them in a home or orphanage with dozens of other children and babies. 

The mother immediately went to court and could not convince the authorities what happened. She got a job at the orphanage and worked in the baby room so she could take care of her infant. During the day, she went to the older ones and visited through the fence and told them not to say she was their mother. 

Because one of her children was a beautiful little boy with blond, curly hair, the home decided he could be put up for adoption. The mother fought in court. She almost lost him. But, she prevailed and eventually all her children were home with her. The poor mother was almost no match for the legal system in league with Georgia Tann, but through persistence she saved her children against the lies of people who wanted to sell him. 

The mother gave the father a divorce because of his deception and cruelty. 

I have no idea what the father of the five children thought about all this. I will have no chance to ask. I only discovered this family secret after all the adult parties involved were gone. Georgia Tann almost succeeded. 

Judges, social workers, and police were all on the lookout for children in order to get a bounty from Tann.  So, many parents were in a dilemma if they were poor.

Read the book, Before We Were Yours, by Lisa Wingate. 

"From the 1920s to 1950, Georgia Tann ran a black-market baby business at the Tennessee Children’s Home Society in Memphis. She offered up more than 5,000 orphans tailored to the wish lists of eager parents—hiding the fact that many weren’t orphans at all, but stolen sons and daughters of poor families, desperate single mothers, and women told in maternity wards that their babies had died." copied

Have you a story to tell? Did you know anyone involved or who lost children?

20 comments:

  1. I'm not following how you knew the people involved.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SAM,
      It is family and I won't say on the blog.

      Delete
    2. I understand- and am so sorry.

      Delete
    3. Sam.
      Like I said, it affected me none since I did not know about it. Lots of people don't know this, so I am not going to tell anyone.

      Delete
  2. I was adopted as a baby and have my own story to tell so I see this in a different perspective. But this makes me so sad for all those poor families that lost their children & babies to that evil woman! Sorry to hear it affected your family somehow as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bri,
      I cannot imagine your story, but adoption is a good thing on the whole. I did not find out about this situation until a few years ago. It would have traumatized me more than it has if i had know about it when I was younger. Thanks.

      Delete
  3. I have a friend who was "adopted" through the Tennessee system during this time, though she did manage to find her now deceased birth mother's name and was able to track down her b.m.'s sister who confirmed she had been surrendered as an infant.
    Her father was a wealthy business man and she is pretty sure some money was exchanged prior to her adoption. She looked so much like her father's side of the family it was like her parents had hand picked her. Maybe they did.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne,
      Did the mother involuntarily give her up and did she mourn for her daughter? The people who were tasked finding children looked for what people wanted. I imagine she was hand-picked. Thanks.

      Delete
  4. I read these stories and think it wouldn't happen today but in another 80 years someone will will read a story from the 2020s and say the same. There is genuine bad in humanity. There will always be vulnerable families and people who abuse them.

    I'm sorry this happened in your family

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. kylie,
      The Almighty Dollar rules hearts and minds sometimes. It is so unfair that the poor are targets.

      I knew nothing about this until about five years ago. So, it was not part of my experiences. But, it is awful.

      Delete
  5. Truth is stranger than fiction. I hope you are related to the mother of those 5 children, and not Georgia Tann. And my goodness, who cares what the father of those 5 children thought? He is the disgusting cheater who plotted to get rid of his children so he could get a divorce. Pure evil, that man. Poor children!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My dad and two of his siblings were sent to Bonny Oaks Orphanage ( in Chattanooga ) after their mother passed. He was eight, his younger sister was 6 and his older brother was 11. There were older siblings that were able to work and stay home with the dad. The orphanage is long gone but has several webpages online as Bonny Oaks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisa,
      I hope his experience was better than the children Tann took from parents. Of course, some were true orphans and abused, too.

      Delete
  7. I had never heard that story. What a nightmare for those parents and children.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One,
      Yes, it would be horrible. I cannot imagine. There are more books written about this incident.

      Delete
  8. My husband loves left overs too thankfully. because I can't swallow solids when I cook I try and make a big batch so I always have something in the freezer for a night I may not feel like cooking or may not be feeling well. Easy but also health is what I like..

    My gosh that story sounds like a mothers horrific nightmare. That poor woman.. That man was AWEFUL!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Robyn,
      Healthy leftovers is what you and I both want and need! I am progressing towards not being able to swallow solids.

      He was awful and worse words. She suffered and so did the kids. Thankfully, she prevailed and kept her children.

      Delete
  9. Oh my word, what a horrendous situation that lady found herself in (and I hope her husband's d...k dropped off from syphilis)! I've just downloaded a sample of that book to read!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Treaders,
      It was awful. She was frantic, trying to get her children back and save the one child. I had worse things in mind for him.

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...