Thursday, November 11, 2021

Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday

November 11th is my brother's birthday. He was born 11/11 and died 12/12, only 52 years old. I was 14 months older. My little brother should not have died first. 2001 was a stressful year as 9/11 occurred, my best friend ever died, and my brother died. Yes, I do say "died" as I cannot stand saying or hearing "lost" or "passed." 

Tuesday, My friend came from Cullman, cleaning gutters and cutting stray trees. He picked up a chicken pen and said he did not want money for the work. We were prepared to pay money, but I owned something he wanted. So, that trade happened. And, I gave him cash for gas. 

Wednesday, we went to Cullman.

PO
my house
Publix
storage unit
BK
another grocery
stopped for lab test

I had only slept three hours, but it turned out to be very pleasant. Wednesday is when I found the turkey breast deal. My groceries for Thanksgiving are coming along. I could do without any of these and still eat well. I listed most of what we got on Wednesday on the last post. 

Thursday

I slept well and awoke exhausted on Thursday. We wanted to take advantage of sales on Coke and Pepsi, so we went out before the rain was predicted. 

onions
potatoes
bay leaves
Dr. Pepper
cream cheese
bananas
cooking bags--hold 8 lbs.
bay leaves

The rest of Thursday:

If the hen is thawed, I will cook that. 
finish loading dishwasher
wash cookie sheet for hen in bag
hand-wash lids for glass dishes
scramble eggs for me
hang up wet laundry
fold dried laundry


The dishwasher is half full of wide-mouth, quart, Ball canning jars. Some of these are destined for powdered sugar, brown sugar, and flour.  Tommy just went out to get in the clothes from the dryer. 

Maybe today, maybe tomorrow, I will dice onions and freeze them for Thanksgiving cooking.  This year, I plan to make the mashed potatoes and freeze them, same for anything that can be made ahead of time. 

Maybe I will peel apples for an apple pie, but that might be pie in the sky...lol.

It is only noon on Thursday, and I am tired. What I want is a nap but won't give in.

What is happening in your life? Any great deals? Oh, there were NO turkeys or breasts when I went to Publix today. I was exhausted yesterday and had to come home. Besides, Tommy has to bring everything in, several trips pushing a walker up a ramp. Then, he has to lift the walker into the house. 

We turned the pumpkin with its painted on face to the wall. That was the extent of our Thanksgiving decoration. The mums and pansies are still on display. What decorating do you do for Thanksgiving on your porch? Or, inside?

Do you cook with bay leaves?







8 comments:

  1. I fall decorate and just add Halloween week if, but then put them away. I figure my fall colors and pumpkins go straight to Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We see many porches, yards, and door wreaths with the same idea. It certainly cuts down on purchases and time spent decorating.

      Delete
  2. I use bay leaves in my potato soup. They have a very good and distinct flavor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Belinda,
      Hmmm, maybe I can try a bay leaf in potato soup. Mama always used a bay leaf in spaghetti. So do I when I make spaghetti. I love the smell of the bottle of bay leaves.

      Delete
  3. I think it sounds OK in a good way

    ReplyDelete
  4. My bay leaves are fresh and all, but I sure cannot tell when they are in a dish and when they are not. I always put them in when a recipe calls for them, but I may as well pretend to sprinkle fairy dust over it for all the flavor I detect.

    "We turned the pumpkin with its painted on face to the wall. That was the extent of our Thanksgiving decoration."
    That made me laugh so hard! I can just see the two of you, ceremoniously turning the pumpkin 180 degrees and admiring the effect! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The effect of bay leaves is subtle but necessary. It does help the dish as long as it is savory and not sweet.

      Mama used bay leaves.

      I did go out and admire the back of the pumpkin as he stood by proudly.

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...