Thursday, December 30, 2021

Doc and Blackeyed Peas

 Okay, I called doctor's office and talked with nurse or rather to answering machine. She called back and told me they were slammed, too. Doc said to come to the lab and contribute since I thought it was a uti. 

I would have gone to AFC, but lines on TV discouraged me. That place would have been perfect, but not right now. 

The nurse just called and, yes, it is uti. So, the malaise that I diagnosed a week ago was actually an infection! Only when I had pain in my right flank, chills, slight headache, pain behind navel, did I actually believe I was ill. Actually, the chills nailed it. 

When I had Tommy look for the blackeyed peas, he could not locate them. I have no desire to look, nor am I able. So, I bought more at Publix. My new camera came and I thought it included an sd card. Nope, must have been another camera I considered. Then, I had to buy a new sd card at Publix at an exorbitant price. UGH!!

It seems all my packages are thrown onto the porch! Or, they are placed beyond our reach. Doesn't a ramp tell you the people living in the house cannot be trying to step over pots and plants to get to package? 

While coming in from doctor, I took the wreath off the door. So, the undoing begins. Tommy will undress the tree. I will cover the fake poinsettia. We are leaving the battery-powered candles for the rest of the year. There was low-key decorating this year, so it is easy to get down. 

When my older daughter was about 5 or 6, she and I were in the kitchen. I was cleaning up after dinner, and she was trying to clean a few black eyed peas off her plate. She was very sad as she said she did not think she could eat anymore "eye beans because they are looking at me." Of course, I laughed. She was so cute and funny. She did not have to finish the beans, just eat a few.

I will cook the whole pound and freeze them in portions for us. Are you having blackeyed peas for luck in the New Year? What else might you do or eat for luck in the New Year? Does is come from another culture?

14 comments:

  1. Some day I might try that for NY, but not this year. But, we all need some good luck so I hope your meal works. I hope your illness improves.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you got your diagnosis and will be on the mend.
    I think black-eyed peas on New Year's are a Southern tradition.
    I don't have any food=luck traditions. Maybe I should start one. I'd feel pretty dang lucky if I had Lobster Rolls. An oyster po' boy would make me feel pretty lucky, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue,
      Yes, you do need a food tradition to bring luck. Try blackeyed peas.

      Delete
  3. I will eat the same thing I have eaten every NYD except for one year when we were in London and couldn't anything similar. Black eyed peas, collards, ham, cornbread, and iced tea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne,
      Your meal is a good traditional Southern meal. If I can find the energy, I will make cornbread, otherwise, We will have blackeyed peas, collards, ham. Yes, I need iced tea.

      Delete
  4. Glad you got in and diagnosed. Hope you feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One,
      Me too! This is the med that makes me feel worse than illness, so I have a week to get over feeling so horrible.

      Delete
  5. I'm sorry to hear you've not been well but so glad you got a diagnosis. Hope you feel better sooner rather than later!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Treaders,
      Thanks. This med makes me feel worse than the uti, so for 7 days I will feel near dying.

      Delete
  6. WOw, a UTI that is untreated can make you really sick. Please get on that antibiotic and stay there. Drink more fluids. Like make yourself drink water bottles and count them. I had to do this with my mom. I worry about you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kim,
      I had sepsis once and stayed in the hospital for a week after kidney infection. In the last ten years I never recognize a UTI. This has been coming on for ten days, and I just thought I was not getting enough sleep and was tired from things I can do. The trouble is, also I am taking a diuretic! I am worried about me, too. Thanks.

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...