Sunday, December 26, 2021

Christmas Day

 We had a very good Christmas but no turkey meal. I forgot to take the turkey out soon enough. Three days was not enough for a 9 lb. turkey which cost me $4. So, I took out a package of 12 huge meatballs and thawed that as it cooked. Tommy put bbq sauce on his. I had pasta sauce, but no pasta. A salad rounded out the meal.

We will have turkey and dressing when the turkey thaws. And, it's okay. 

Speaking of food, let's talk Hardee's breakfast. I bought the premade patties of sausage that he likes. He ended up eating them for lunch, snacks or other meals. I was puzzled. But, now he never wants to go to Hardee's. That is good, but he never eats the sausages for breakfast. At least we never stop there, now.

Tommy finished the gingerbread house Christmas morning. It is amazing. I will let you judge that comment. Last night and this morning lots of finger-licking occurred. Someday, I will take a picture for you and post it. 

The day after Christmas, I woke him, something I just never do. I wanted to go see if I could find dishtowels reduced. So, off we went to big box. I did find 5 potholders for $0.47 each, and 9 dish towels for $0.47 each. I also bought one spool of ribbon, sort of a rope type ribbon. Amazingly, the stores were practically empty...not the way I remember the day after /

We drank the last tiny bottle of orange juice the other day, and I could find no more in several cities and even more stores. It was 8 10-ounce bottles for $3.30+10% at The Pig. Today. there was a solitary 8-pack for $4.40+10%. I grabbed it it. To me that $1.10 increase is huge and not alright! So, I thought I could get it on Amazon for less. Nope, twice as high. 

Tommy is really using bogo. He asked me to get diet Pepsis if I could get them bogo in Publix. 

It is 74F outdoors and a pretty day. Right now, I am going to take a nap and test how much the turkey has thawed. Maybe I can put it in the oven later today. 

Did you hit any after-Christmas sales? What did you bring home? 

18 comments:

  1. I have not been boxing day shopping in 45 years! I hate to shop!
    Sounds like you had a peaceful and relaxing Christmas. My kids all gather here on Christmas eve and this year we decided to have it catered. Of course, I had to have my shrimp platter (as Christmassy as Santa in my opinion) but forgot to take it out of the freezer in time. Just as well, I had shrimp for breakfast yesterday.
    The holiday celebrations are done for the day. I spent all day steam cleaning (or as my husband calls it, detailing) two of our bathrooms. Tomorrow is laundry day so that must mean back to reality!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jan,
      Shrimp has no place in my Christmas plans. Funny how traditions are different. I like the "detailing" idea. Reality!

      Delete
  2. I bought 50% off wrapping paper and ribbons, and a few gifts for future occasions. There were a few 1/2 priced treats too for January football for my husband. I agree though- not as much stuff left for clearance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SAM.
      I wrap so few gifts, I may die with wrapping paper! I only went to big box, so not much in way of gifts.

      Delete
  3. No sales here - had company. You know that turkey doesn't have to be completely thawed to bake? I have done it many times.
    Glad you have had a nice weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would like the turkey more un-brick like before I throw it in the oven...lol. I cannot imagine anything so hard! Thanks.

      Delete
  4. I had rather be beaten with a stick than to go shopping the day after Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne,
      I was totally against it, but the big box was empty during church time. Everything was easy and no long lime. I had no desire to find anything in the store except the kitchen things. Surprisingly, it was easier today than in past years.

      I had no desire to go anywhere and shop for clothes or anything. But, I do understand.

      Delete
  5. Bailey wants to go to the big box store today, so we shall see what happens.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Belinda,
      Hopefully, she finds bargains without too much hassle with crowds.

      Delete
  6. My almost 17lb turkey thawed out in 3 days in the fridge - thankfully because I forgot to take it out until almost noon on Wednesday haha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One,
      This thing has been in the refrigerator since last Tuesday. Tommy just informed me it is squishy now. So, I may cook it tonight or tomorrow. I don't feel well, so I don't care.

      Delete
  7. Because we postponed Christmas prizes for NYE, I went on Sunday to B&N for some shopping. I don't know if I got any bargains, but it felt relaxed to do so.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Urspo,
      Bringing home things from B&N is always a pleasant experience.

      Delete
  8. I'm unemployed again so I had no plans for post-Christmas shopping but my sister gave me a wad of cash so I am a little tempted.....
    If I bought something I might regret it in a month or two when I have some new thing but no money.

    I hope you had a lovely Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. kylie,
      It makes me sad you are unemployed! Buy something for yourself and save some for a rainy day. Christmas Day was good.

      Delete
  9. I'm with Anne--I'd rather be drawn and quartered before going out shopping. However, shopping online is a different matter altogether! I like to take advantage of post-Xmas sales to buy stuff for my hub's Feb birthday. All the things I didn't order in time for Xmas, LOL!
    We decorate gingerbread houses but never eat them. I'd have to cover them in plastic wrap. We just eat the candy as we're decorating and call it good. I used to hold decorating parties for my kids where they could each invite 5 friends. Big mess, but big fun!!

    Our Christmas day was nice and lazy, as usual. We take all day to unwrap gifts--and it's not like there's a ton of them, either. We stop for things like our big brunch (this year was banana crumb cake, scrambled cheesy eggs, bacon, and toast), and took naps, played games, & snacked. Dinner was both Beef Wellington (homemade) and Turkey Wellington (from Trader Joe's), baked potatoes, steamed veggies, & homemade rolls. We all agreed it was a feast indeed!
    The day after we all sleep in, watch tv, play more games, and eat leftovers. I love our Christmases, and will be a bit sad when I have to share my kids with their future in-laws...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue,
      There were few people in the store early since the church crowd had not descended on the store.

      We will not be eating this house!

      Your Christmas sounds great. The day after sounds just as good. It is good to have kids all to yourself.

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...