Wednesday, January 5, 2022

I Thought I Was Well Tuesday and More Bargains

Tuesday, I wanted to shop the ads since Wednesday is the day new ads come out. I felt better, so no problem. Well, not well, not really. 

In Publix, I always check the sale rack. There I found the ziploc  bags with Christmas designs marked down. I ended up buying 10 boxes at $3.15 apiece. I checked the shelves for the regular, non-holiday theme. There were more bags in a box in the holiday-themed ones at a cheaper price. So, check Publix for cheap storage and freezer bags. The Christmas designs make me smile in July! Plus, I think of what a bargain I found. Oh, part of the bags with Christmas designs were still on the shelves with regular products, so check there if the sale rack has none. 

After the Publix trip, we went to Piggly Wiggly for coleslaw and potatoes. There was a third store to visit, but suddenly I became tired. All I bought in Publix was bscb and ten boxes of Ziploc. 

Before we went to the two grocery stores, we went to a food giveaway. Some weeks, there are only three cans of food and a pack of hamburger buns. Not much. Other weeks, there are 8 kinds of breads and rolls. It is all inconsistent, but I have no complaints. Today was a good meat day. We got:

Huge pack of Publix ground chuck $19.99

2 chicken breasts $13.66

2 organic chicken breasts $12.77

4+ lbs of chicken thighs $6.81

apple bourbn pork tenderloin

$13.00 shoulder blade steak

6 huge, sweet potatoes

4 bags and boxes of salad greens 

Low sodium potato pancake mix...will give away. 

The thighs are thawing so I can cook them with the two packages of chicken breasts I bought for half price (bogo) at Publix. I could barely get part of the meat in the freezer. I left the flank steak to cook for dinner on Tuesday night; So, four packages of meat went into the freezer. 

Two of the bags of salad greens went straight into the trash. One was slimy green and the other was turning bronze and wilting. 

At 5:30 pm, I was staggering and could barely walk, so I told Tommy to put the meat and the three potatoes in a freezer bag with half cup of water and tie it up and stick six holes in the bag and cook it on 300F degrees, wake me in an hour and a half and let me look at it. 

Folks, he can cook!

As I came out of the bedroom, I asked him if he put salt and pepper on the meat. He said he thought about it and did not want to put too much. "Salt and pepper it as you would something on your plate, but not heavy." 

The shoulder blade steak looked like it would be fatty and tough. It was.  However, I will cook it again to make it more tender. Since it was frozen solid, it did not cook long enough to tenderize. The taste was delicious. I asked Tommy how he liked it..."It was beef and not ground hamburger meat." 

We did a drive around the neighborhood to find a pink bag of ads and coupons. Tommy cut all them for my friend who is in charge of the food bank. We saved out the coupon for Cheerios. Tomorrow, we will get more packs of coupons in pink plastic. We only want the Cheerio coupon. We ask people if we can have them or take them from vacant houses. 

So, I was not as well as I thought I was today and now I am worse! I have med to last Wed and Thursday. Then, these meds will quit making me feel so awful. But, I did have a good day. Today, I really needed to be out. The temperature was 53F and the sky was a brilliant blue, not a cloud in the sky! 

I know the weather is rough in some places and people are stranded in cars. Here's hoping you are snug and warm in your house or other abode. 

Have you ever bought the Ziplock freezer and storage bags with holiday designs?


17 comments:

  1. A good day here and there is better than none! Take it easy,
    Yes I have some of those bags - I have gotten the red or green saran wrap as well. I don't care what it looks like!
    You got some great items at the give away!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheryl,
      I was quite startled when I accidentally bought some red wrap once. It worked as well as the clear wrap.

      Delete
  2. IN the middle of this last summer we pulled a roll of Glad wrap from the pantry and it was Christmas green! I didn't look at the box but just opened it and was quite surprised! We're still using it right on through Christmas and beyond. For some reason it makes me happy every time I open the box.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lana,
      That would be a surprise. I am glad it makes you happy. The Christmas bags make me happy, too, even in summer.

      Delete
  3. Once I bought a pack of Christmas themed bags. I used and reused them for years. I don't do all of my own shopping anymore so I don't get these kinds of bargains now. I'm 87 and my daughters sometimes find it easier to shop for me than to haul me around, especially with Covid so prevalent.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Carole,
    In the age of covid, her shopping for you is certainly safer. Maybe someday you can get out and find bargains.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That was a very good haul of meat my freind.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You probably don't want to hear this, but I don't think it's safe to cook food in a plastic freezer bag. Now my box of Ziploc freezer bags does say it can be used in the microwave, but it does not mention the oven or crock pot. Plus, I just plain would never heat anything in plastic. Especially as fat will melt the plastic. Bags designed for roasting will be safer and keep the mess to a minimum.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue,
      I have never cooked in a plastic freezer bag. Did I say that?

      Delete
    2. From above:
      " I told Tommy to put the meat and the three potatoes in a freezer bag with half cup of water and tie it up and stick six holes in the bag and cook it on 300F degrees..."

      Yep. Looked to me like you did.

      Delete
    3. Sue,
      You just cannot trust me to say the right word when I am under the influence of meds and no sleep. It does look like I said that. A freezer bag would have ruined the meat by melting!

      Delete
    4. Oh, trust me--I am far happier hearing that you don't cook in freezer bags than "trying to catch you" in a misstatement! It's all good. :^)

      Delete
    5. You can see how bad I felt. Someone needs to stop me if I am trying to cook in freezer bags!

      Delete
  7. Bags are used to store food here, and then reused often for the dog, so I'd gladly buy cheaper bags with seasonal items and use year round.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SAM,
      We reuse most of the storage and freezer bags. Tommy uses a used bag to put meat juices and bits of food and then put in trash. When I pointed out that every morsel that goes down the sink contributes to clogs in his sewer line. So, he is very proactive, trying to keep that detritus from the drain.

      Delete
  8. My son does buy those bags. Once in awhile he will "gift" me with a lot of them.

    ReplyDelete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...