Tuesday, January 4, 2022

Publix BSCB and Other Stuff

 Tommy took a list I made from our perusing of the Publix ad. This is what he bought.

$2.99 24 oz zucchini

$2.54 x 2 Quaker Cinnamon Life (bogo--$5.07)

$1.40 x 2 Hormel No Beans Chili (bogo--$2.79)

$6.69 x 3 Diet Coke - $6.69 (b2g1)= $13.38 

$13.99 x1 People Magazine 

The man loves zucchini cooked in olive oil with garlic, so he chose zucchini over yellow squash. He should have bought both. He had circled the Life cereal, so it went on the list. I certainly did not know he liked this. But, he is onto the bogo thing, and this was bogo, so he will eat it. Unfortunately, I get the urge for chili over a hotdog and have no No Bean Chili. the price is always appalling. But, at $1.40 a can, it is not so expensive. I will freeze half the can or more since Tommy does not like chili over a hotdog. 

His Diet Pepsi was not on sale, so he settled on Diet Coke. I would have nixed this price, but I will explain to him why it can be gotten cheaper. Not a problem, though! He told me about the Betty White edition of People when he went in last time. I was exclaiming how I wanted it. So, he surprised me with the edition. 

Total--$43.82 Saved--$17.17

The Hormel, Kraft Mac and cheese is stock up. Coke, zucchini, and Life for use now. 

Monday, for dinner Tommy ate turkey, blackeyed peas, pasta, and cranberry sauce. I had a piece of cold turkey since it delicious cold and blackeyed peas (hot), half a banana. 

All the Christmas decorations are still here. I don't know when I will get around to putting it away. The trip to the grocery store where I sat in the car exhausted me. So, I am not pushing it. 

I forced myself to stand and hold onto the counter and load the dishwasher while Tommy handed me the dishes. Then, Tommy washed the rest of the items that would not fit, like large bowls. It will be an ordeal to get them out, but, of course, Tommy will help.     

Tuesday now and it was frigid overnight, below freezing. However, I was warm in bed wearing a sweatshirt over my thin, short summer nightgown. At least, the day will be dry! 

The most I will pay for boneless, skinless chicken breasts (BSCB) is $1.99. However, I will buy Publix bscb for more. They are $4.99/lb. now. But, bogo they will be half that. The reason I will pay that much is because the breasts other places are poorly trimmed. I am sick and tired of paying for gobs of fat, bones in the shoulder of the chicken, and long strings of whatever it is. I feel like I am still coming close to my $1.99 limit. 

I will buy two big packages today and cook one with a huge package of thighs. The turkey has one or two more helpings of meat left. So, I need to cook another batch of protein. The turkey went a long way and has certainly helped when I have not felt like cooking. This was the turkey that cost $0.49/lb. and was cooked on Thursday, I think. 

Okay, my turkey sandwich for breakfast killed off the turkey. 

What kind of decoration do you use as a celebration or homage to Valentine's Day? The day after Christmas employees were shoving the shelves full of Valentine's red hearts and cupids. I had a heart-shaped cake pan that I could bake a cake or use to make a heart meatloaf. Now, I may hang a heart on the front door. Maybe the amaryllis will be blooming by Valentine's Day!


12 comments:

  1. Chili over a hot dog (chili dogs) sounds good. We have not had that in a long time. Also with some grated cheese on top :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One,
      Yes, chili and cheese. It must have cheese grated on top.

      Delete
  2. That is a good price for the BOGO from Publix since they trim it so well. I will have to look at that and the Life cereal. Thank you for the heads up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Belinda,
      The bogo on chicken goes off Jan 4th. You are welcome.

      Delete
  3. I am thinking of making chili soon, but I must find some ground beef in my freezer. I will put out my Valentine decos at the end of the month.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kim,
      I have decided some days just to thaw something, anything! Never mind what we want. I have no decorations for Valentine's Dat.

      Delete
  4. I used to hang sparkly red hearts on our wooden front and side doors. But they got replaced last fall with steel doors, and now I am waiting for storm doors so I can use those super-strong magnets to use on the glass.
    TL;DR: I will hang nothing this year! :^) :^D

    $4.99 for well-trimmed breasts isn't bad, because a poorly trimmed one is such an annoyance! I tend to go for the thin breasts because to me they are very versatile.

    Speaking of breasts, last night I cooked 2lbs worth of thin breasts in the crock pot, seasoned with Kraft Italian dressing. They come out tender, juicy and flavorful, which is not always the case with crock pot chicken! We will have the breasts as chicken sandwiches or I will make chicken salad or taquitos--whatever gets them used up. Personally, I would love a good cranberry-walnut chicken salad right now, so that's the direction I'm leaning in!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue,
      The sparkly, red hearts sound nice.

      Breasts trimmed save a hassle! I have cooked chicken breast in Kraft Italian Dressing, and they are so tasty and tender.

      Delete
  5. I can't believe how expensive magazines are. Don' remember the last time I bought at the store.
    No decorating for Valentine's Day here - never have. OR Easter. Door wreath may change but that is it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheryl,
      This was a commemorative edition, so much more expensive than regular magazines.

      I am thinking just a door decoration.

      Delete
  6. When I go to Uncle Albertsons this weekend I strongly suspect it will be bedecked with white, red, and pink hearts and stuff - in early January. Oh the horror.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Urspo,
      I was a little shocked to see it in December! At least it is very pretty.

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...