Monday, January 31, 2022

ROCK-A-BYE BABY

 I found this blurb in a Reader's Digest. I think. Or, maybe it was an AARP magazine.

"Rock-A- Bye Baby

When 18 healthy young adults slept in a lab for three nights, on the night that their beds rocked them to sleep, they fell asleep faster, spent more time in memory-consolidating deep sleep, and performed better on a memory test the next day."

Source: Current Biology

Webmd.com

When I was an infant, my mother rocked me to sleep. When I was a teen, I loved a rocking chair. My mother laughed and told me I had torn up every rocking chair she ever had with my incessant rocking. She said I had always loved a rocking chair.

Every night, I pushed my foot against my footboard to rock myself to sleep. When I married, I had to quit this habit...lol. Later on, when he moved away, I resumed my rocking. A few months later, I had a king-sized bed and did not have a footboard. 

I think it is high time I get a bed with a footboard. Of course, maybe I could find someone to make a machine that would rock my mattress. It only takes a small motion for me to feel it and be rocked to sleep.

This is a study I found HERE.

Do you ever rock to sleep? Rock in chair, hammock, or holding a baby? These actions are said to promote sleep. 

When I had the six-foot swing with a deep seat, I could sleep in it. I put my foot on the arm and gently pushed. Sleep was instantaneous.

12 comments:

  1. Nah, I don't need to rock myself to sleep. I have the "gift" of being able to fall asleep anywhere. At the dentist, in the shampoo chair at the stylist, on a plane, in the car--give me a reclining position and I am out like a lamp.

    The only problem? I snore. Yep. So while I can blissfully drift off no matter where I am, I am sure to annoy the crap out of everyone nearby. It's worst on a plane, where I wish I could just sleep through the trip but can't.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue,
      Your gift is a good one. But, the snoring would be annoying for others. Too bad. There should be something to stop that.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. I suppose the rocking chair was my choice of rocking. But, my older daughter loved to swing as a child. She would swing for hours. I still like to swing.

      Delete
  3. How funny! I'd have never thought to rock myself to sleep! But I can certainly see the appeal & am sure it'd put me right to sleep too. I wonder if any of those fancy beds offer this as a feature. We've been looking at upgrading our mattress, I'd love to get the one that has the Zero Gravity option. I tried it at a store once & fell in love & almost fell asleep in their showroom haha! I'd buy a rocking bed in an instant especially if it has the zero gravity too!!

    Question for you Linda - have you tried playing that Wordle game online? I know we discussed games awhile back & I think you'd love it. It's a word game that's similar to Master Mind if you remember that game. Anyways, if you get bored, try googling it & check it out - I'm hooked!

    Hope you have a nice night :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bri,
      Maybe zero gravity would be good. Since I like to sleep on my side, maybe it would not be good for me. I needed the zero gravity recliner!

      I have vaguely heard of Wordle. I will look at it. Thanks.

      Delete
  4. I just learned about Wordle too! I love it and it's free on your phone. You can find it at:

    wordle.berknation.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember a gentle rock in a hammock or on a boat does nicely to soothe me to sleep.

    ReplyDelete
  6. There is a company called rockingbed.com that sells a bedframe that replaces your box spring, the only problem that I see with it is the price of almost $10,000.00!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alice,
      For that price, it better fix dinner and do the dishes. Thanks.

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...