Thursday, January 13, 2022

Three New Chairs

 In the store where I have bought the two reindeer and the Santa, finally bought furniture. The Lazy boy recliners will be delivered maybe February 28. Too long! Tommy paid for them in full on October 28, 2001and Lazy Boy is making money off our money. Not acceptable. 

In the furniture store I had found a chair that I do not like but feels good on sale. I got it for less than $300. Sold. 

Tommy was so angry that I wanted him to look at the chair. He cannot fathom he might see something I missed. But, he did go in and looked at it, sit in it and give his opinion. So, I bought the one I do not like--a square gray chair! The one I like was brown, a color I hate, but it had curved arms and wood down the front of the arms and across the lower part of the chair. I would have gotten it but the seat cushion did not have much support. So, I bought for comfort. There is a chance Tommy thought I got this one because it is $50 cheaper. I am quite sure he said I should get it because it was cheaper. 

In the meantime, before I purchased the chair, I asked Tommy to look at recliners. He did and I decided I wanted one from there and said he should, too.  The color is Truffle, looks sort of olive greenish, sort of tweed. I called and cancelled the order for the Laz y boy and he paid for these, two that were ordered while we sat there. 

The chair was delivered free of charge since we had paid for delivery on the recliners. I gave the guys $5 apiece to carry the loveseat to the curb. We immediately put a "FREE" sign on it. 

So, I am sitting in a chair that supports my back. I am exhausted. Furniture shopping is tiring. Spending so much money is a stressor. However, the recliners at Lazy boy were twice the price as these. However, these don't have heat or massage or zero gravity. I really need the zero gravity! I can do without the heat and massage.  Anyway, it is done! Oh, these are lift chairs. But, the lift scares me.

I forgot to say that these don't have the huge pillow at the top, so it does not push on my head. 

I haven't bought new furniture since 1972, preferring antiques, curb shopping, any furniture that might need to be upholstered or in need of new springs. Having to spend real money on furniture, and furniture yet that I don't even like hurts and stresses me. 

Do you find that shopping for brand new furniture is stressful? 

I gave the guys $5 apiece to put the loveseat on the front lawn near the curb. Well, I went out after Tommy looked under the cushions and put a "FREE" sign on it. But, they have the loveseat facing the house! What is with that? And, Tommy put the sign on the back of the loveseat and thought it was just fine to face it away from the road/ GOOD GRIEF! I want it taken before it rains, otherwise, no one will want it. 

We are supposed to get the recliners between one and two weeks from now. I surely hope so. In the meantime, Now, the ottoman I was given works with this chair at the right height not to hurt my back and legs. 

He found $0.49 under the cushions.

14 comments:

  1. The microfiber lift chair I bought DH about 8 years ago was THE MOST comfortable chair ever. We finally gave it to eldest's friend, however, because DH found the time it took to get out of the chair via the remote too long. Also, when power went out (no battery back up) he was stuck--which was hilarious for us, but not so for him. I remember DD and Girl, the day it came, sitting side by side in that chair, pressing the remote to make it go up and down.
    All the chairs we have in this house recline, and all but two are leather. One of our chairs, a Lazy Boy rocker, has been reupholstered twice already, it's that sturdy and comfortable. Upholsterer costs me about $250, and the fabric I found each time was under $2/yard--must cheaper than replacing. I haven't *loved* either of the reupholstered fabrics at first glance, but neither did I dislike them. The price, however, sold me. Mainly, I require two things from my chairs and couches 1) They must be comfortable 2) It must not be ugly, or so eye catching that they draw attention.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meg,
      Comfort is a must! I was wondering about the time when I was in the recliner. But, if I have surgery, no matter how long it takes to get me up, the lift will be necessary. Tommy already struggles to get up, so right now, he needs it more than I do. I do upholster chair, sofa, kitchen chair seats. Well, in my opinion, I bought an ugly, square chair, no beauty. But, it is soo comfortable!

      Delete
  2. I only had 2nd hand furniture most of my life. Couches, chairs, tables...the only thing I ever bought new were mattresses!

    Buying new furniture is exhausting because it must feel right. You have to sit on every piece you are considering. I must have sat in every darn recliner in Furnitureland South in High Point, NC! But it was worth it because I got the most comfortable leather recliners in the world (Bradington Young, if anyone is interested) and they are still wonderful almost 15 years later.
    So it's fantastic that you found a cheaper chair that is comfortable! You won't notice that it's not beautiful after a few weeks--it will fit right into the "landscape"!

    I had to buy a brown couch because it was the only color that worked with an oriental rug my husband bought at auction. I HATE brown! And to order it especially? Killed me. Now, I don't even notice it. The couch is comfortable, works with the rug--that's all, folks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We were in the store 1.5 hours and we were exhausted. Yeah, hate brown, too! Yes, I do worry that the brown will disappear...lol. But, I have a quilt over this chair and will cover the recliner, too, when it comes.

      Delete
  3. I'm glad you found some new chairs. I agree, that is ridiculous that you paid for the first chairs back in October and still waiting. They shouldn't charge until they are ready to ship out, but I suppose they think already having someone's money, they probably won't cancel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One,
      Tha fact they had our money and we had nothing caused us to want our money back even more.

      Delete
  4. I tried to buy a recliner for my husband Oct 2020. After multiple delays...Nov turned to Early Dec turned to late January turned to March and then finally May 28. I went back in and canceled and decided to look at floor models, which were half the price. It was suggested that we go to the Outlet next door. There we found a better motorized version for less than half the cost. A bird in hand is worth 2 in the bush.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder if they are going to share the interest they made with us. That is just too long to wait, so I am glad you got a bargain after so long.If we had been shopping all along during the time we sat and waited, we might have gotten a better bargain. Thanks.

      Delete
    2. interest rates are less than .02% so it's not like they got rich off you. if they had $800 of your money for a year it would be 12 cents. Stores have had to put in orders and pay and the orders are stuck in shipping containers waiting to be unloaded.

      Delete
  5. My late husband always said to put half down when ordering and pay the rest when it's delivered. That way you have a little leverage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I heard the owner tell a woman buying furniture that she could pay 30% down and the rest when delivered. I thought we would, too. But, she asked Tommy if he wanted to pay for the chair. He said, "Yes." He handed her his card. Just now, I asked him why he did not just pay 30% instead of all the price. He did not know that was an option. I thought she was only taking his card to put 30%. I agree--leverage.

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...