Sunday, January 2, 2022

Weight

 Reading about a blogger's (SAM, Coffee, Money, and Thyme) child eating at school reminded me of what Tommy told me a few days ago. His father worked for the railroad and died before mid-terms his first semester. His mother had not been in the picture for many years. His father's work benefits provided well for Tommy and his younger brother's education. So much for background. 

I asked Tommy a few days ago if he gained weight when he went to school--40 lbs. !!! I asked how he managed to put on so many pounds. He said he made sure he got his money's worth of the food plan. He added that when he went back home that summer, he lost all the weight he had gained during the year. 

When he came back home, he was emancipated by 18 and his brother by 17. He owned a house. Now, I can just imagine how little he cooked. But, he ate at his grandparent's house two doors down. 

I am down 14 lbs from what I weighed about ten days ago. I just eat little. Of course, we do eat two chocolates from a box of Whitman's. 

When I prepared food, I ate little. Now, I don't even eat dinner. I just sit and he gets what he can find. He has even encouraged me to let him help me load the dishwasher. Usually, I am the one trying to get him to help. 

Yesterday, I ate a chicken sandwich, but it was a foldover sandwich with enough meat for a whole sandwich. I do eat half a banana each day or a whole one. 

The Christmas decorations and the tree can stay up all year for all I care right now. This medicine has taken all desire for anything away from me. Tommy is in the kitchen making "fixing food" noises...lol. He has washed two loads of clothes for me, another load of blanket/throws and my white clothes--underwear and towels and nightgowns. 

Okay, he was washing the crock pot and other things instead of preparing something to eat. I put a pound of blackeyed peas in the crock pot and cooked them four hours. They were done before midnight on Jan. 1. Whew. 


16 comments:

  1. we had peas too; there are leftovers to eat for some days now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Urspo,
    I will freeze some of these tomorrow. Normally, I could eat them all before they went bad. But, peas are not something I should eat much. I will freeze in half-pints and we will share that for a meal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Linda,
    I hope the infection soon clears and I wish you a great year to come!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope you start feeling better soon. We have been sick here too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rachel,
      I know how it will with three kids and illness in the house. Hope you get better soon, all of you.

      Delete
  5. I hope you are feeling better soon. It’s no fun at all being sick and not yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Get well soon. Happy New Year! Maybe you are just getting it out of the way for the rest of the year!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, 14 lbs gone in 10 days! No wonder you are feeling tired! I hope you are drinking enough liquids, even if you aren't eating much solid food. I sure hope you feel better soon, Linda! And I'm glad your peas were done just in time for New Year's! :^)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue,
      I think as my appetite somewhat returns, I am gaining weight! Rats! I was sweating the pea cooking. I could eat them less than tender, Tommy? NO

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...