Wednesday, March 2, 2022

45,000 pounds of Chicken Fat and Reducing Sodium in Canned Beans

 It all spilled on Deadman's Curve in Birmingham. The smell will be disgusting.  I cannot imagine how it well be cleaned up, but I suppose there are experts at that kind of cleanup. Still, the stench will linger.

That is a lot of schmaltz!

Have your ever cooked with schmaltz? I did once, making biscuits.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ 

As you may remember, I bought 12 or so cans of Hunt's Petite Diced Tomatoes for $0.72/14.5 oz can.  The sodium content was 200 mg. I was horrified. The No Salt version was 15 mg. 

I decided to look at the can of green beans, my favorite canned vegetable and the one I eat most. I almost had a stroke when I discovered there were 380 mg of sodium. I have some cheap green beans in my sights, but I need to see if there is a No Salt or Low Sodium version on sale also. 

While I thought about the several dozen cans of green beans I have, I wondered if I could reduce the sodium. I always drain the beans before I heat them to eat. When I put them in soup, I never drain the liquid. When I looked it up on the internet, I discovered I only reduced the sodium by 8% by draining the liquid. By soaking for 30 minutes, I can reduce the sodium by 45%. 

Then, the article goes on to talk about cooking the dried beans, so I wonder if this method only works for dried beans canned commercially. I hope it works on green beans. 

If this is the fact with green beans, the can of green beans that had 380 ms sodium would only have 209 mg of sodium. This is a significant reduction and good for our health. Of course, the fresh green beans I cooked and froze have no added sodium. 

Sodim content reduction by draining, rinsing, and soaking. 

I only know I won't be canning green beans, maybe freezing. I have avoided much sodium for years, but it appears I have not done well with the canned food. 

Do you look for ways to reduce sodium? Do you need to reduce sodium? Do you can or freeze green beans?

12 comments:

  1. https://www.ars.usda.gov/ARSUserFiles/80400525/articles/eb11_drainedveg.pdf

    I can or freeze most of my own veggies. I do use canning salt to can with. About half the amount as most as I have heart issues already.
    My kids say they always drain and rinse can veggies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should can and freeze more vegetables, but my back and upper body strength and injuries won't let me do much.

      Delete
  2. The green beans I buy are just beans and water. No salt. Buy frozen veggies, as they are just plain old veggies.
    I don't fruit with sugar added wither - just fruit in fruit juice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheryl,
      After these green beans, soaked, it will be just beans and water. That is how I buy collards.

      Delete
  3. We have been watching sodium for years. It is a never-ending battle. What tastes good often tastes good because it has lots of sodium in it. Low-sodium stuff tastes more like cardboard. You would not believe all the sodium in the fast food burgers and fries. Another ingredient of keeping the weight down is definitely portion size. Most people tend to eat far too much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. rhymes,
      Food I love and cook has no sodium! I know how to season. I don't much like sodium except on mashed potatoes and French fries, neither of which I eat much.

      Delete
  4. I try my best to use fresh vegetables, frozen ones as second stand-by and canned ones as third. I do always check the labels for nutritional details.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  5. A few years ago we had a semi truck load of whole chickens spill on the interstate after a crash right at our exit a mile away. They bulldozed those chickens up into piles along the side of the road and left them for at least a week in the middle of summer and man did they stink! Then coyotes came and ended up getting hit and so there were dead coyotes as well. Sadly the driver of the truck was killed in the accident.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lana,
      I can imagine that smelled to high heaven! Too bad the man and coyotes died. Wow!

      Delete
  6. I hate to say it but I take everything with a grain of salt. LOL I enjoy food and things are always better with a little salt, pepper and herbs, my favorite is thyme. All things are good in moderation. I am only going to be here once and I want to enjoy foods I love, melons, potatoes, greens etc. I always save bacon grease to season other foods. My Mom raised us that way and she passed at 90. Hard work and good food keeps us healthy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Texas,
      That sounds like you think I have not worked hard or eaten healthy food. That is so untrue and hurtful.

      Delete
    2. Linda, I don’t think Texan was disparaging you. I think Texan was just offering their personal philosophy. Every is different, everyone does what they will.
      I love pepper & herbs and use them often, but would never, ever salt fruit.
      Focus: I have never canned, but wish I knew how.

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...