Saturday, March 26, 2022

In the Middle of the Night and a Favorite Food from Childhood

 That is me, up in the middle of the night, typing. I went to bed early at 1 am. I was so exhausted but cannot sleep. 

On Saturday night I want to make a favorite dish--salmon and eggs. Mama made this for us and I loved it. The ingredients are simple--eggs and a can of salmon. You just scramble the eggs, cook until almost set, and add the canned salmon broken into chunks. It makes me hungry thinking about making it. We always had this with home fries and gravy. 

I don't like food slopped all over and on other foods. But, gravy on the eggs and salmon and potatoes did not bother me in the least. It seems we always had it with a bowl of beans, probably Great Northern beans. 

A bag of navy beans happened into my hand and made me want to cook some. I was rearranging things when I came upon the bag. I am rethinking cooking beans. The refrigerator is too full right now to add anything to it. 

There is a huge bowl of cooked savoy cabbage, and the leftovers of another head. We need to deal with those first before I cook beans. 

Dinner tonight--pork loin stuffed with asparagus and cheese, butternut squash. This is one of the meals for one that must be cooked. It was given to us. I find these work for both of us when we add more food. We had cabbage and potatoes, leftovers. Between the two of us, there might have been three small pieces of asparagus. 

Thursday night, I cooked four chicken thighs. Tommy ate one along with baked onion, potatoes, and radishes. Since I hate thighs, I had another meat along with the radishes, potatoes, and onion. I had left the kitchen needing attention. 

Tommy went into the kitchen and cleaned it all up and even put one thigh in a freezer bag in the freezer and put the other two smaller thighs in a sandwich bag, stuffed them both in and put them in the refrigerator. He has never done anything like this, storing food in freezer and refrigerator. I was shocked and felt guilty. 

On Saturday, we need to wash all the snap lock lids in the sink and load the dishwasher. I need to find the fireant bait and apply it. That ought to finish me off. 

The very first night I transplanted my Romaine into a pot, something started munching on it. I think maybe something was in the old soil and welcomed a dinner of Romaine. Maybe I need to put in new soil. And wash the pot. 

I have had Verizon less than a month and already it is a disappointment. It is just like AT&T! Annoying. 

Tommy seems to be on a mansplaining kick. When I complain, he says he just wants to make sure I understand. Just shoot me now! 

It is 3 am, and I am getting drowsy. So, off I go. 

Have you ever eaten salmon and eggs, just cooked in an iron skillet and served with home-fried potatoes and gravy? I won't be frying eggs and making gravy. 

6 comments:

  1. I don't like salmon in any form. You sure have had phone challenges. Sorry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SAM,
      To me, canned salmon is delicious. The thing is, Tommy was given different directions. So, now it is not just me looking all confused. He knows, too. It is not that he ever doubted me.

      Delete
  2. Coincidentally (or not) I ecountered baked salmon and scrambled eggs for breakfast while on vacation recently. I had never seen salmon on a breakfast/brunch buffet before, and I love it, so I mixed it into my scrambled eggs. It was delicious! I suspect it was even better prepared in your mother's fashion.
    I enjoy canned salmon as well. I like it pan-fried in cake form, as well as in salade niçoise, instead of tuna.
    Speaking of fish, we are having Baja tacos for dinner. I need to finely slice the cabbage and make crema.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue,
      I can imagine that was good. But, this was not breakfast, but dinner that Mama made. I have never heard of Baja tacos, but I will look it up.

      Delete
  3. Salmon and eggs is the breakfast of the gods - or at least the demi-gods

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Urspo,
      It was dinner of the gods for us. Glad you like it, too.

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...