Sunday, March 27, 2022

My Ear and Siding

 For two years I have had a little bump in my ear, just a mound, not anything that feels like it is going to be infected. The ENT said he had no idea what it was but did not want to lance it for fear of an infection. He gave me a drop to use twice a day for seven days. That did nothing. For two years other similar bumps have come on the inside of my ear and on the outer ear. 

About a month ago, I started squirting this med in my ear and rubbing it to get it onto the bump next to my eardrum, Finally, I felt it and it seemed like I could scratch it off, and I did. For two days I have been free of the earache that has plagued me the two years this has been present! 

AND, TMJ has quit bothering me. Tinnutis is less. The things my body decides to do!!!

Sunday night, we had a burger from a 4-pack of premade ones, something given to me. We just ate it on a plate with a fork. We had potatoes, carrots, and cauliflower baked in the oven. I put a light sprinkling of garlic powder (not salt) on them. Tommy did not even need salt on the carrots or cauliflower, just a bit on his potatoes. The cauliflower was so sweet with only the bit of garlic powder. 

Since I have been sleepy and tired for a few days, I am going to doctor to see if it is a uti. I do not want to become ill again. 

The piece of siding under the roof has been loose, allowing water behind it. Tommy has refused to have someone repair it. Well, Saturday, a six-foot piece started flopping. He says he will get someone to fix it. I figured he wanted the piece of siding just reattached to rotting wood. Of course, I know that is not possible. Thankfully, the piece of siding broke. Otherwise, he would just want it put back. The house is a brick house, but their is siding on what would be wood parts. He said he did not want to have to paint the house, so had siding put over the wood. BAD idea. 

When I went to a yard sale today around the corner, I bought a table for $3 for the porch. I asked the man to bring it by and he readily agreed. We talked about the repair needed. I asked him if he could recommend someone. He said he is a roofer and does that stuff, too. Then, he said he does yard work. So, maybe someone to mow since our free mowing by neighbor will end. THEN, I asked about someone to help in the house. He said he can do that, too. He also sells scrap, so the rusted storage shed can be gone for free! 

We talked so long that it was 7:30 when he left, right when I would have had dinner ready. I put the vegetables in a pan and loosely covered with foil. In the meantime, I was going to cook the burgers. Well, at 8:30, I told Tommy to come and let's get dinner. The oven was stone cold. I forgot to turn it on. So, we had the burger to avoid starving to death and had the vegetables at 9:30. Some nights are like that. Right?

Have you ever had a strange large mound in your ear that puzzled the doctor? Or, maybe he gave it a name you can share with me. 

I don't often forget to turn on a meal to cook. It was not a big deal tonight, but I will have nightmares about forgetting to turn on a turkey for a meal. Have you ever had a meal that sat without heat?



 

17 comments:

  1. weird about that bump. You would think the doctor could figure it out. Nice you found someone to maybe help you with things around the home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheryl,
      It was so frustrating! I hope he works out. It seems too good to be true.

      Delete
  2. One time I caught myself quickly pressing the numbers for the TCM channel onto the microwave. So I had keyed in 790, instead of 130 for one minute 30 seconds for a cup of warm milk. Imagine if I hadn't noticed and had microwaved my milk for 7 minutes 90 seconds. It probably would have broke my coffee cup. I cannot trust my brain on auto pilot.

    I don't remember ever forgetting to turn the oven on for a meal I put in,maybe because the process of turning my oven on takes more steps than just turning a knob. I actually have to light a match using a stove burner and then light the oven pilot light to turn the oven on.Our stove is from 1956. I don't seem to forget all of that rigamarole, but I can't tell you how many times I have put bread in the toaster for my morning toast,and either have not plugged in the toaster, or I forget to press down the lever to start the toasting. What is funny is as many times as I have done that, I always think to myself what is wrong with this toaster? when the toast doesn't pop up.


    I eat breakfast before I go to bed in the morning. Two pieces of toast with a thin smear of butter on them and a glass of warm milk with a little vanilla in it. Now that is when I really miss my little Fuzzy Pomeranian the most. Each morning I always used to cut off a small bit of each of my toast corners for him. He loved his little bits of toast, and a small salsa bowl with a little warm milk (no vanilla). He thought that was really living it up. He even ate a couple of little pieces of buttered toast corners after his stroke before we had to take him to the vet on his last morning with us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SUSIE,
      I can see your brain spinning...stupid toaster! Broken? Just pop up now.

      No, you absolutely cannot forget to turn that oven on. I have had that type stove and so did my mother. Those stoves are great, even if you do have to light the oven.

      You must stay up all night. What time do you eat breakfast? I am almost to that point.

      I hate to think how bad the mess would have been if you heated milk for so long. ack

      Delete
    2. My husband worked nights for about 40 years before he retired. Usually I used to stay up till around 6 am when he got home. When I was working part time in the day time my sleep schedule would get really mixed up and and I had a lot of sleep problems because of my thyroid (Graves disease) being so overactive. Now I usually go to sleep by 730 am and try to sleep until 1 pm unless I have a Dr. appt or something. and then I take a nap sometimes in the evening. My husband stays up until about 4 or5 am and then sleeps until around 2 pm. He snacks a lot during the evening, I can't do that, I just wait until my toast breakfast. Then we eat dinner at about 330pm or 4 pm. I really need to change my sleep pattern and get to bed earlier so I can get more sleep, but I have the hardest time shutting down my brain to go to sleep any earlier. I like to watch the sun come hp and see what birds, squirrels, rabbits, or school kids are waiting for the bus and then I finally feel ready to sleep.

      Delete
    3. susie,
      Maybe if you go to sleep 15 minutes earlier for a week, then another 15 min earlier, you could push your bedtime to something you would like. I know it is hard for me to sleep and I have not had the habit you and your husband have developed out of necessity. I do wonder if you could rest without the sunrise, animals, birds and children. Shutting down my brain is a problem, too.

      Delete
  3. more than once. I used to use the auto bake and then forget to set the timer on the stove to turn it on. I've had a couple kids say they forgot to turn the oven on and used their instant pots to get a meal before midnight LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chef,
      Yeah, that meal before midnight is a real goal some days. If I used autobake, I would surely forget to set it.

      Delete
  4. And then there is arriving home from church with starving children and finding you did not plug in the crockpot. Ugh!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lana,
      That is a tragic one. I suppose it pbj sandwiches then.

      Delete
  5. The dirty secret of Medicine is ~ 30 to 40% of the time the doctor and the patient can't figure out what's the matter. Doctors are loathe to shrug their shoulders and say 'beats me". Tests are done, and more test and no answers, making both parties frustrated. Often the damn thing just goes away on its own in time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. spo,
      This two-year odyssey to cure my ear and earache is incredible. This week was the week I was going to make another appointment with ENT.

      Delete
  6. Wow, that $3 table could be worth it's weight in gold, if the guy who sold it proves to be as handy as he says! Siding repair, mowing, shed removal, house decluttering--the mind boggles. I hope he turns out to be a huge help.

    I have never had a bump in my ear. That ENT wasn't afraid of lancing it, he just couldn't be assed to do his job. What a schmuck. Good on you for taking care of it yourself.

    I don't like ENTs. I went to one about a sinus problem, and he insisted on my taking a hearing test "to establish a baseline." His assistant gave the test, which was pronouncing words and having me repeat them. The kicker was, she HAD A LISP!! WTH? I thought it was a joke, or a part of the test. She said, "Thweater". I said, "Did you mean "sweater"? She replied, "YES, that's what I SAID!! Uhhhhh, no you most certainly DID NOT.

    Now, I should have gotten very snarky and just repeated the lisped words as she spoke them. But I was so FREAKED OUT--that the ENT would seriously have someone with a distinct speech impediment administering a spoken word test--that I couldn't think straight. It still freaks me out to this day. I definitely need to get over it, but I'm mad at myself for not saying something to the ENT. I rarely have trouble speaking my mind, so I guess it upsets me more than it should.

    I have never put a meal in a cold oven and let it sit. Or put food in a cold crockpot. Because I always preheat my cooking devices. But it's not a big deal if you forget sometimes. It's far less damaging than putting a pot on the stove to cook and then forgetting about it. Which I have done more than I care to admit. Which you know means I do it too damn often!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would have wondered if I were supposed to say what she said or what she tried to say. I imagine establishing a baseline was to pad the bill! I often could kick myself for not speaking up, and I have no problem speaking up usually.

      I wondered how bad he thought the problem was to just give me a med that did not work. Finally, just soaking the inside of my ear worked.

      Oh, I forget stuff, too. I actually just go to sit and don't get back to the stove, just not watching because it hurts to stand.

      Delete
  7. Can you ask your doc to check your potassium/magnesium levels, iron levels, as well as D3, and also, consider taking some CoenzymeQ10. This is a really good article: https://english.elpais.com/science-tech/2022-03-08/why-human-beings-become-fragile-after-the-age-of-65.html Might help with your overwhelming fatigue that you speak of.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. meetsy,
      I have been instructed to take coQ10, magnesium, and D3. Iron levels are fine. Oh, I need to know why I am fragile. I will read that. Thanks.

      Delete
  8. Thank you meetsy, that is good information. I will check that out.

    ReplyDelete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...