Thursday, March 24, 2022

Part 2--My Opinion and Helping Friend

 There was a time when Nestle's Nido came in two types. One was for infants and one was for toddlers. First of all, NIDO is a dry whole milk. Unlike the dry milk we usually get, this still has the fat because children need fat. 

I have only found this product in the Hispanic section. It could be in International Food aisle...not sure. 

I found three kinds today. One was for children 3-5 years. I forgot what the other was designated. The one I have was chosen for a specific reason--it has two lines of ingredients. It contains whole milk, soy lecithin, Vitamin C, iron, zinc, Vitamin A, Vitamin D3. 

The other two formulations had nine lines of ingredients. Maybe that is okay. But, I made a decision. And, I believe this formulation is the best. It does say not for children under the age of 1. So, you decide for yourself. This would be great for emergency storage. Or, it can be used for cooking in place of milk you have in the refrigerator.

It tastes much better than non-fat dried milk! Guaranteed!

Have you tried this dry milk? 

The night I picked up the food for the woman down the street, I told her how the box low on the ground hurt my back, shoulders, knees and generally was going to hurt for the next few days. She was sorry and said just to forget about us picking up food for her. I assured her it would be much easier if the box was higher. 

That was Tuesday. She agreed it should be higher. I was not sure what she was going to do. When we went out today, she had not put anything out that was higher. When we came home, still nothing and she was not home from work, the three hour job. I wanted carrots from Publix, so we ran back out and she still was not home and nothing ready. When we came back from Publix, her car was finally home. We stopped and she came out. I noticed she had put a dog crate on the driveway with the same plastic box on top. 

So, this will do for now. If she does continue working, she will need to get a cooler, one with a lid and hinge, not something I have to chase when it falls off while I load the food inside. She agreed but reluctantly. I pointed out the meat would spoil if it stayed in the heat of the afternoon, no shade, and for three hours. She agreed. There is no use my taking the time to give her food that may spoil and make her ill. 

So, that is settled. Tomorrow, I will use the clear plastic box that does not have a latch on the top. 

Tonight, we had to transport the ten cans of green beans down the hall so I could put them into the bedroom. I have a box for green beans, no stacking because I have too many. We put them in, all the 2024 dates on the bottom of the box. That way, dates won't get mixed. 

Tommy drove them down the hall in his walker. But, I had to do the hard work of carrying five cans in a plastic bag. Most people don't realize how hard it is for me to do things! 

10 comments:

  1. I'm glad your helping and hopefully a solution will work it's way out. We haven't any Hispanic or ethnic markets by us that I know of. Wish there was. Save a lot does have more Hispanic foods because of it's location. Like you can buy a huge bucket of lard there but it's just us and it does get old. I need to look at more of there products.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vickie,
      This is not in a Hispaice market, just in regular stores. All the lard I find is hydrogenated, so I might as well use Crisco.

      Delete
  2. Gah!!! I clicked in the wrong space and deleted my comments. Duh!

    Anyway, so I have never heard of Nido before, but I am going to keep my eyes open for it. It would make a great addition to my pantry shelf. I do keep boxed milk but Nido could also be used for cooking and bread-baking.

    I am glad your friend has altered things somewhat to make your life easier when you help her out. She really is going to have to get that cooler, though. So dangerous to leave meat in the sun!

    Maybe next time Tommy could make 2 trips with the walker instead of having you hand-carry the cans?

    I think people forget how hard it is for you to do things because you seem to get a lot done most days! You persevere despite, and that is what people remember.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue,
      Just look in a regular supermarket in the Hispanic section. I think you will like it.

      She said she could not afford it. Well, she must. This is a piddling job she has, not many hours for little pay.

      He made one trip and drove the ten cans in his walker. I did have to carry them into the room. So, he did all he could.

      It seems like I don't get much done to me. We often have to do a little, wait for my back to quit hurting me so, and then two hours later do a bit more.

      I hate losing my work.

      Delete
  3. I have kept Nido for a long time. We do not drink milk, so I keep none in the refrigerator. Nido reconstitutes well for my baking that requires milk. I find it in the regular powdered milk section of my Publix.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne,
      I have never looked for it in the regular powdered milk section. Thanks for that.

      Delete
  4. I've been using Nido for a long time. I use skim milk for drinking, but when I make pudding or other desserts I like whole milk so I reconstitute Nido. As you said it's in the Mexican section of Walmart in my case.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carole,
      I will have to start using it more and less saving it for an emergency.

      Delete
  5. But the secret is you keep doing hard things, and that keeps you going. Even if it is hard. I know because when I have a flare it is hard for me. Thank you so much for all of your good advice on my shop. I owe you big time for your idea of the late charge. Keep sending thought my way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kim,
      Some days I wish I could just sit and let someone bring me what I want or need. But, then I know the end result would be total inability to move or do anything for myself, so I keep plugging away.

      You are welcome.

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...