Tuesday, March 15, 2022

Taco Soup, Pi, Verizon, Gunsmoke, Little, Brown Handbook, Strunk and White

 On the way home from buying milk, we stopped at the pharmacy. Then, he went into Verizon to clarify something for me. He mentioned that there was a new milk that was a2milk--chocolate milk. I was objecting, saying it was awful. He said that the carton said NEW and Hershey. Well, that sold me. I had him go back and get me chocolate milk and Pie for Pi day. So, the new chocolate a2milk is delicious. Now, I cannot drink it all at once. The tiny cheap pie was not good. I gave mine to Tommy.

Dinner prep tonight did not go as smoothly as the other time Tommy "helped." I told him to get four cans of food--tomato bits, tomato sauce, whole kernel corn and black beans. 4 cans. He swears I told him four cans of tomatoes. After all the cans of tomatoes I bought, he could not find 4 cans of tomatoes. Well, I only asked for 2! 

He opened the cans since it is hard for me. First, we drained the ground beef to get all the fat off. Then, I drained and rinsed the black beans. I had him put some of this in the crockpot. I put some of it in. He turned the crockpot on high and 45 minutes later came and told me the crockpot was not plugged in!!! Not his fault nor mine. 

It was past dinner time. Everything was barely warm, but it was all cooked before it went into the crock. The cheese on top, Kraft Italian shredded, was sort of melted. I tried to stir it in, but it was not quite warm enough. We microwaved a bowlful to eat. It was delicious. 

Since I knew the rice would not cook before we were going to eat, I put a can of water in the crockpot and 1/3 cup of rice and it is heating. We ate without rice. I usually add about 1/3 cup since we don't need so much rice. When I had two bites left, I realized there was no taco seasoning in the taco casserole. !!! But, it was not lacking great taste

It was actually delicious. I kept coming back to the living room to sit down. My hands were shaking when I tried to look at the ads for the week. Tommy was not so helpful tonight even though he was some help. He was argumentative. And still arguing over whether I said 4 cans or 4 cans of tomatoes. 

I also cooked 5 Italian Sausages for Tommy to have for lunches. One will go in the freezer and the other four are in a sandwich bag. He puts these in a bun or wraps a piece of bread around one for lunch. I still have a package of chicken and some kind of pork to cook. 

Just tonight, Monday night, I got the energy to put the last three pounds of butter in the freezer. They are a bit past the best-by date, but I have my fingers crossed. 

Verizon may drive me crazy as AT&T did. I went to get a phone and change to Verizon from AT&T. I forgot why, but something to do with my address, I had problems. So, I just used Tommy's card to seal the deal. I wrote him a check the first of March and it is in his bank. Well, I needed to pay my bill. I did. They accepted my card over the phone and said the amount for monthly service had been taken from my card. However Tommy needs to go in the store and make me an account manager. Tommy went into the store today and was told I have to call them on my phone and let Tommy talk to them and tell them I can be an account manager. AND, my bill has not been paid. 

Matt Dillon keeps getting shot in the same left arm. He gets it cleaned up and there is never a hole in the shirt. 

I need a new style manual. Thirty years ago, Little, Brown Handbook was the authority. I learned to love Strunk and White's Elements of Style. I know I will need to get the latest edition. Is anyone closer to university use of either of these? Or, is there another style book that has come into existence since 2000? Now, I remember there was an MLA Handbook, too. 

18 comments:

  1. i have not heard of the little brown book. My taco soup calls for a pound of ground beef with taco seasoning. I drain it by putting a bunch of paper towels in a bowl. If I don't cook the ground beef with the seasoning the soup finished can taste gritty. I add 2 cans of beef stock, drained and rinsed black beans, pinto beans, corn, 1 can of rotel tomatoes and a small can of green chiles. Only the black beans need to be rinsed, the others can just be dumped in.

    I also make chicken tortilla soup. You can use canned chicken but I prefer to cook fresh chicken breast. Just swap the beef broth to chicken broth, change the pinto beans to ranch style. Add a can of cream of chicken soup and the rest of the cans. Both are great with some crumbles of tortillas chips and cheddar cheese on top. I like both and they freeze great. I freeze just by putting 2 or 3 cups in a zip lock bag and lay flat in the freezer to take less room. Makes a great meal just to pull out and heat. It is really a money saver when you look at how much soup it makes.
    I have to avoid the chocolate milk. I could drink a half gallon in a half an hour. I only get a small bottle when my grandson comes to spend the night. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Texas.
      We make taco soup differently, don't we. I cannot eat rotel or chili and hate pinto beans. I put two cups of my taco soup into a quart bag and laid it flat in the freezer. Because it was going to lie on lumps, I put it on a paper plate.

      The book is Little, Brown Handbook. Little and Brown are the authors or something...lol. It is a style Manual like the MLA.

      I, too, would finish this off in short time if I were not exercising extraordinary willpower right now. I do have a half gallon and only drank about 4 ounces twice. I hope Tommy jumps in and helps. I used to get the small bottle of chocolate milk because I cannot be trusted around chocolate! Now that I need the a2 milk, I quit buying the little bottles.

      Delete
  2. Everyone, universities and high schools alike, uses MLA formatting nowadays. You can go to the MLA website or OWL at Purdue to see the formatting details. No need to actually buy a manual, because it changes every few years anyway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Frances,
      I knew that everyone used it, but thought someone might have come up with something better. Each edition lasts a few years. I cannot imagine having to refer to an online style manual. I suppose you don't mind.

      Delete
    2. MLA is the gold standard. I have been teaching high school and college English classes for 40 years, and I haven't used an actual manual for years. Everything is online nowadays. Even most textbooks are in an electronic format.

      Delete
    3. Frances.
      I have not had to write a paper for 30 years, so was not sure. I will not be using MLA online, preferring a book in hand.

      Delete
  3. I grew up eating pinto beans and could not imagine going without them. They are a pantry staple here. We eat a lot of Tex-Mex food. I have seen a lot of restaurants offering black beans and potatoes as an alternative to refried beans and rice. For me I love the rotel but it can snap back with acid reflux.

    The chocolate milk, I would be horrible. It would be Tommy if you touch that I will kill you in your sleep. LOL













    t

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love dried beans--navy, blackeyed peas, Great Northern and ate them all the time as a child. And, I have never had TexMex.

      Yes, I could have killed over chocolate milk years ago. Now, I need to remember my health at least some of the time. People should leave my bananas and chocolate alone.

      Delete
  4. Huh. All these years as a tech writer for the computer industry, and I never heard of MLA. The companies I worked for all had their own standards, which were pretty much based on the Chicago Manual of Style. I always learn something new here!

    My having chocolate milk in this house would be like bringing a 5-lb bag o' powder to a crack den. It wouldn't be pretty. The whole family adores chocolate milk, and could crush a gallon in mere minutes. So we don't buy it.

    You have reminded me that I need to put DH on our Verizon acct. as an account mgr. I don't think it's prudent to be the only point of access.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue,
      MLA ia for Humanities studies for writing papers. So, I am not surprised you have not heard of MLA.

      So funny! I would hate to get in the middle of the milk madness.

      I didn't know I even needed to do this.

      Delete
  5. I have a taco soup recipe that everyone seems to love. It's got a can of just about every kind of bean in it, a can of rotel, a can of tomato sauce, cooked ground beef and a packet of taco seasoning. We eat it with shredded cheese and sour cream on top, using Frito scoops. I do it in the crockpot too, though it can be done in a big pot on the stove.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One,
      I call this taco soup, but it is a taco casserole that I throw in the crockpot. We love it.

      Delete
  6. I'm copying and pasting information from my Master's program Capstone Project (along the lines of a thesis) below:

    William Strunk, Jr. & E. B. White. 2000. The Elements of Style. Longman. ISBN: 9780205309023. http://www.pearsonhighered.com/academic/product?ISBN=020530902X

    Chicago Manual of Style Guidelines (Quick Study)Guidelines by Inc. BarCharts

    Within social science research, the APA Style is a commonly accepted format for papers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alice,
      I never used APA OR Chicago since I was in Humanities. Thanks.

      Delete
  7. You can find the new edition of Strunk and White's online. Amazon has the kindle edition for .99 today (I had it in my Kindle library but just checked to make sure it is still available) They also have a paperback version for 5.35 (at least that is today's price but you never know how /when Amazon prices will change)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne,
      After reading on Amazon for hour, I found so many style manuals. Just looking for one still recommended.

      Delete
  8. I loved "Matt Dillon keeps getting shot in the same left arm. He gets it cleaned up and there is never a hole in the shirt." this I know is true!
    I'm glad you found milk you could drink!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vickie,
      The man should have lost the use of that arm long ago. It is the only milk I can drink without pain. At the bogo price, I can afford to buy it without getting a bank loan.

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...