Tuesday, April 19, 2022

I Told You it Hurt!

 Monday, I needed milk and sugar-free Jello, so we went to Publix. I only bought one-half gallon of my milk since I always hope it will go on sale on Wednesday. When I arrived at the check-out, I had few items to put on the belt, so I decided I would lift the milk, something I never do. It is too heavy. I used both hands, lifted, and sort of pivoted toward the belt.

This did not hurt but put a strain on my right shoulder. Later that evening I developed the worst pain in my shoulder. I was yelping at the slightest movement of my right hand or elbow because the pain in my shoulder was excruciating. I managed to put some of the cream on my right shoulder with my right hand. I was on the verge of crying. 

I could not put a fork in my mouth without wincing and squealing in pain. I switched to my left hand. I can use my left hand, but I am awkward. Finally, some of the green beans could not be speared. I ended up eating with my fingers! The pork and potato salad were easier to eat. At least they did not fall off. At first, I had to eat with my right elbow tight against my ribs before I had to switch to my left hand.

Tuesday morning, my shoulder felt tight. Now, Tuesday night, it is aching, a little bit tight. This is what I get for trying to do things I cannot without injuring myself further. 

I was at Publix and have no trouble getting help. But, at other stores the checkers demand to know how I got the items in my cart. They imply by their tone of voice, words, and body language that I am malingering. 

Tuesday night, I managed to fold the laundry from Monday--20 dish towels and 10 dishcloths. That is not much at all to fold. But, it hurt! I still do what I must do and all without pills for pain. Tonight, I will hang the load washed today. 

This is it for today. Thankfully, typing does not cause damage or pain. 

Hallelujah! Monday, the forecast was for no rain through to Tuesday next week!

If you hurt, try to pace yourself. Right, Kim?

12 comments:

  1. That would be frustrating to need just a tiny bit of help and getting attitude. I hope the pain resolves. My knee has been acting up just sitting, so do understand.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SAM,
      I do absolutely everything I can. These people are so judgmental. Oh, I have had pain from doing nothing at all.

      Delete
  2. I get that attitude all the time so does Daughter 1 and 2 with their back issues.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well I try, but it sounds like you had frozen shoulder, which is quite painful. You just have to take something to reduce the inflammation and work through it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kim,
      I have had frozen shoulder and this was not that. This was like "knife in the shoulder joint."

      Delete
  4. Ouch, better get thee to a doctor. I rather feel your pain as of last Sunday night I fell on a cement floor in our basement after tripping on a chair. Landed full weight on my knee. I made it through the night but knew by morning that I needed to be seen. X-rays showed a fractured knee cap. I have a leg brace 24/7 for 2 weeks, ( 1 down 1 week to go ) then I will be re x-rayed. Praying I don't need surgery but that it is healing nicely by itself. I use a walker to get around but I let my hubby and others take care of me :) I am hoping that by may I am doing well enough to get out and garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nannie,
      Oh my goodness! You win! I have never cracked or broken in anything in a fall. However, I rip things. I do hope it heals well. Let the garden work go so you heal completely. I cringed as you described the fall. Get well soon!

      Delete
  5. Don't even answer that question. Just ask for the manager. You may have managed to get things in your cart. You may have had help from other shoppers. It does not matter, if you need help getting it on the counter, you need help. The job of a cashier is to ring up your groceries, help if needed, bag everything and place it in your cart. If you need assistance getting it to and in the car, they should call someone to help you. It is called doing a good job for the customer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Texas,
      I have asked for a manager and then the cashier works and helps me. Last time, I went straight to customer service and told the front end manager the cashier was a racist. That woman ran to the cashier. I have no idea the outcome.

      Delete
  6. That is so annoying that they make such a big deal about helping. Are there baggers at the end of the conveyor? Perhaps they could be induced to help instead of the cashier. Or, if you have a disability checkout lane (marked by the blue sign), you could use it to ensure they must expect to help out.

    How hard is it for store employees to lift a couple of items from a cart onto the conveyor? It's just not that hard, and it takes only seconds. Jerks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue,
      Some stores just don't have a full complement of employees. I do all I can to get help. I see these women knock themselves out for the black customers ahead of me and turn cold when they see me. Now, not all treat me shabby, just some.

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...