Thursday, April 21, 2022

New Neighbors: Children and Dogs

The neighbors must have moved from a short distance because about six passenger vehicles, cars, SUVs, and pickups came in droves with household items just stuffed into the passenger cabins. Then, a truck with a flat trailer bought all the outdoor items. Finally a box rental truck showed up several times with many people on hand to empty it. 

I did not see all this. Tommy would remark on what I did not see. He said at one point that there at least five balls in the yard. When we left, there were four basketballs and another play ball. Their place was a beehive of activity for about four days. Now, there are 17 balls. ??? He probably did not count, just saying there were a lot of balls. He goes to mailbox and to the laundry room, so sees more than I do. 

As we were leaving, I heard someone yelling and turned back to see what or who it was and if the yelling were for me. A little girl on the porch about seven yelled with great gestures--we live here over and over. We live here now. This (as she points) is our house. Of course, I was responding with Hi and oh, nice, I see. Then, a little boy about five who was in the driveway was gesturing to the back yard. Over and over, he said something and I responded with vague remarks like I see and Oh, okay. 

When we got into the car, I told Tommy to back down the road to their house. The children came running to our car. (I hope they don't do that all the time.) The little boy asked me "would you like some of these? as he held up two colorful cards about 4x4 inches. I told him one would be fine and took the rainbow one. The little girl rushed up.

Here, she said, you can have these and thrust three black cards about 3x3 inches into my hands. Then, the little boy gave me a stick about 3 inches long and told me I could make pictures on the little cards, any kind of picture you like. 

Then, he proudly pointed to his two dogs. That was what he was gesturing about. I thought he was saying he had a swing. But, he told me his dogs' names which I have now forgotten. He told me the dogs were just puppies still. One he said was a German Shepherd. It did not look like it to me. 

The big dog has a long, low, hollow bark that resonates. The small dog is the yippy yappy kind. They bark at the same time--loud and long.  Someone save me. So far, it has not been bad or annoying. 

I hated to take their pretty crafts, but they really wanted me to have them. I know my children would be sad if they thrust gifts onto new neighbors and their gifts were rejected. The little black cards could be scratched off to reveal a picture. I think I will do one and offer the other two back. 

There is a chocolate fudge cake mix that was given to me. I will make cupcakes for the children.  I was going to use cream cheese to make frosting, then decided to use powdered sugar and butter for the icing. In the end I bought a cheap Food Club brand ($1.69) to spread on. I decided my time on my feet needed to be spent on other things. Besides, cream cheese cost more than that. The kids will still like it. 

Wednesday, after sleeping for two hours we went to Cullman. I got the mail, stopped at lawyer's office, drove past my lot instead of stopping and got to the pickup meal and waited. After we ate, I only went to one grocery store. Going home became more important to me as the minutes passed. 

We picked up our lunches and lunches for a couple and ate at their home. They are 90 and 91 and still rather spry and live in their own home. After lunch I was even more anxious and cancelled other plans so we could go home. 

A long nap really refreshed me. And, another lunch brought home was Tommy's dinner, so he only had to heat it--ham slices, mac n cheese, baked beans, a roll, two cookies.  The ham was a ham not pre-sliced stuff, really delicious. Tommy got to eat all the beans!

We are in the midst of eight days of no rain and rising temperatures. I love it. I heard something about showers, but not sure. It will not be storms like we have had once a week. 

The kids next door are precious! It will be good to have children around. I think the other two children are teens. And, the dogs, well, they are dogs. 

8 comments:

  1. I hope you can get used to the dogs barking and that they don't bark too much.One of our neighbors have a big houndish looking dog that is most always in their back yard. He barks at the mailman, but he barks just the right amount so that I know that something is going on on or near our street, or that someone that isn't from here is walking or maybe even lurking around.
    We had a problem with the little toddler boy who comes to visit next door sometimes. There for a while he was escaping his Mom and Grandparents and coming over here to our front yard and tromping around in my flowers, but even worse run (clumsily)like 2 year old toddlers do, up and then down the handicap ramp that we have at our front porch. The ramp has a rough finish and small holes in the metal so it is very non slip. I was so afraid that little toddler was going to catch his rubber soled shoes on that ramp surface while he was running down it and plow his little face into that metal ramp surface. I caught him doing it a couple of times and told him to stop doing that and that he should go on back to his Mom. He did it on another day some more,only that time my husband was near the door and opened it up and gruffly told the little boy to quit running there and to go on home. I know the little boy had just slipped away from his Mom for a little while, if I would have seen her out there I would have talked to her and told her how that ramp grips onto shoes and it was dangerous for the little boy, but she was nowhere to be seen.

    We are having so much wind and rain around here,that it has been a strange spring. The wind is blowing harder than normal all spring almost every day. I hope it warms up and the wind settles down pretty soon so the zinnia seeds can go in. My big, beautiful dark pink rose bush got some kind of virus that caused it to get red mishapen leaves last summer, and deformed roses. It was such a beautiful, big full rosebush under our picture window in the front yard. Now it looks like a haunted house plant. It is so big,I think we will have to hire someone to cut it down. My husband is of Irish descent and has fair skin and breaks out with rashes when he cuts down big weeds or or trims bushes and trees. I can't even imagine how that rose bush would break him out and holding out those big lopper cutters will make his bad shoulder hurt. I'm going to pay to have someone else cut it down and take it away. There goes a chunk of money.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. susie,
      Kids would get hurt falling on this ramp. I have no problem telling children to go home. I hope to discourage these children visiting. That woman should watch the child better so he does not get hurt.

      That is too bad about your rose. Make sure you get all the remains from the ground so it does not infect something else. If anything green touches me, I break out, too. And, I am not fair. There is always something after my money!

      Delete
  2. Those children must be proud of their house - being so excited. How sweet. I am surrounded with people with dogs and well - dogs bark.
    I would be happy to send you some of our rain. SO over it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheryl,
      Actually, the people who lived there before had dogs and so does the guy across the street. I never heard one bark from either dog. No, I am proud of no rain for a change.

      Delete
  3. Aw, it was really nice of you to engage the children that way! Sounds like they were friendly, polite little things as well, the way they offered to share their scratch-off cards with you. My kids loved those cards.

    The kids will love the cupcakes as long as there is lots of frosting. No sense wasting your strength on homemade when premade will do just fine. Add some sprinkles and they will be out of their little minds with joy.

    Dogs are dogs. I think that says it all. I am not a dog person unless they are super well-trained and their owners are, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue,
      They were sweet and polite. I don't have sprinkles! Hopefully, the owners are trained.

      Delete
  4. About six years ago we got new neighbors with five children and we love having them near. They constantly ask if they are bothering us and we reply that we love to see them out playing and hear their fun. The oldest ones have been a great help to us because we can hire them to do jobs like clear the yard of sticks and dig out buckets of compost. We hire one to help get Christmas decorations out of the attic and now the oldest is on college and has worked construction in the summers. Last summer he replaced some rotten siding for us and did a beautiful job. I would not trade them for anyone! I hope you are as blessed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lana,
      You are lucky the parents care! You have been lucky to have children who are helpful and know how to work. Playing noises are never annoying.

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...