Sunday, April 3, 2022

Saturday Recipe and Dreams

 Around 3 pm on Saturday, we left for a drive, a ramble about through Hueytown and Bessemer. About ten miles from the house, I remembered I had not taken a med, so we went home while I did so. 

We gawked once again at the shotgun houses, marveled at the old two- and three-story homes, some perfectly preserved and others in various states of decay and disrepair. Tommy knows the history of the municipal buildings. 

About 4 pm, I saw tables on the sidewalk with colorful tablecloths, obviously some sort of sale rounding up for the day. I had Tommy got around the block. After the first corner we stopped and talked to a young girl and two children who were dancing as girls this age do. We asked if there was food and they ran to get someone as we drove on around to go back to what we saw. 

A very nice young woman had a booth with food--cobblers, and cookies left. We talked with her and she brought us two apple cobblers and a pack of cookies, $9 worth and Tommy gave her $10 to keep. We left, drove to the train depot, the ancient one, parked in the shade of a tiny tree and ate the cobblers. They were so delicious. I wanted to go back and talk with her. Stella

Stella did the imitation of Brando. We both laughed. I told we came back to tell her how delicious the cobbler was, the best I ever had, very different. She said she had some left and wanted us to have it. Since she had packed her vehicle, she went to get it somewhere. She brought two! She also handed me a small container wrapped in clear, red cellophane and tied with a yellow curling ribbon. It was honey butter she had made. SHE MADE THE BUTTER! I was impressed. Of course, we have no bread to toast. And, I am not making biscuits. 

She said she would give me the recipe:

Take a Betty Crocker pouch of Snickerdoodle cookie mix, make it according to the recipe, press the whole recipe into a casserole or whatever pan you will use. Pour in a can of apple pie filling. Make another recipe but don't use the sugar packets in the recipe. Drop the cookie mixture in lumps onto the pie filling and put the sugar in lumps around the topping. Bake. 

She did not say temp or how long. She said she was going to use peach pie filling but the store had none. She also said it was delicious warm and with ice cream on top.

Then, I checked on the internet and found this RECIPE. I will try the way to make the cobbler like she told me first.

So, for $10 we had four (2 each) helpings of apple cobbler, three of the largest oatmeal-raisin cookies I have ever seen, about 1/3 cup homemade honey butter. That will leave us with four plastic containers with lids for leftover food, a little pot from the butter, and a huge sheet of red cellophane I am saving. 

Saturday night, I went to bed at 2 am and went to sleep immediately. I awoke at 4 am to go to the bathroom. I slept and dreamed on and off until 5 am. Then, until 8 am I was half in and half out of a dreamy sleep. It was the same dream continuing each time. And, I forgot the dream. 

Around 8 am, I came into the living room, sat in my recliner, read a bit, and leaned way back to relax. Then, I dreamed about Tommy. He was sitting on some porch outside our house. He was fully dressed in puffy clothes for the Arctic. It was a big Michelin Man type snowsuit, that large but without the ridges. He had on a diving helmet with a front like a WWII gas mask. He was quite a sight, so surprising that he awoke me. He laughed when I told him. 

Sunday has mostly been me trying to recuperate. I am not getting worse, but not better. The day is dry, cloudless from where I sit, and 66F. We are going for a ride now. 

Do you enjoy a ramble around and stopping to get unexpected treats?

18 comments:

  1. Alas, I cannot do 'treats' anymore. I miss this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Urspso,
      We did go for treats, but they happened. We should not give in.

      Delete
    2. I meant, we did NOT go for treats.

      Delete
  2. Can't ramble right now with cost of gas I do keep my eye out for special things when I do go out. There is a cherry pie in my oven rigt now. Ran out of cooked chicken breasts, so I am just going to have wild rice and blackeye peas with snaps. I bet the treats were good and everyone loves honey butter. It sounds like you are a little better. That is good news.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Texas,
      We don't ramble far, so not much gas involved. Well, I was better, but every time we go out, I have a relapse, it seems. I cannot wait to have honey butter on hot toast, biscuits, and/or pancakes. I sample it with a spoon and it was delicious.

      Delete
  3. What a nice person you met! We seldom veer off the same little rat trails we take to everywhere we go these days, but I used to love doing that. My best friend and I used to garage saling for hours on end and have the best time finding treasures, we would wear ourselves out from laughing and remembering our teenage years.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your day got me in mind for a treat so I made a cherry pie, LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds delicious. I made a treat once in the crock pot with a can of cherry pie filling and chocolate cake mix over the top.

      I really like brown rice and blackeyed peas, nothing else mixed in.

      Delete
  5. That crock pot dessert sounds wonderful. I love chocolate covered cherries. I had cherry chocolate chip ice cream I put on the pie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Texas,
      I love that cake too much. I have not made it in ages. I don't remember if I put the dry mix over the cherries or if I mixed something into the cake mix. Yum!

      Delete
  6. My family used to have a "Sunday drive' to look around and see the sights. Often it stopped for small chocolate cone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Urspo,
      When I was young, we drove in the country for a drive. Now, the drives are around the city. And, snacks might be involved.

      Delete
  7. I also love driving around small towns, looking at the architechtural styles of the houses and businesses. I have never happened upon such amazing treats, though. That was your lucky day!

    Man, I wish I could envision Tommy in a Michelin man suit with a diving helmet and gas mask. That must have been quite the sight to behold. LOL! What do you suppose your dream means? I think it means he's up to something...

    I do not like the flavor of honey. In recipes that call for small amounts, I always replace it with sugar. I can only tolerate it in tea or in my homemade oatmeal honey bread, where it makes sense to my taste buds. Honey butter is a crime against butter, IMHO. LOL! Now maple butter is another matter entirely...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sue,
    Silly me will be watching for food now. Maybe I will get lucky again.

    I laughed long and hard and read that paragraph to him. I will have to nap with one eye open to observe what he does when I nap.

    Honey chokes me sometimes. And, it chokes me more the older I get. It was a crime to choke me. I am not sure what that is all about. I do prefer maple to honey taste.

    ReplyDelete
  9. There were no more random drives for us once gas reached 4 bucks a gallon.

    ReplyDelete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...