Sunday, April 10, 2022

"What All is in That Chicken Salad?"

 Sunday, I made Martha Stewart's Hot Chicken Salad. Tommy was heavily involved. He washed a bowl. I carried the cheese and knife in to my chair. He brought the grater, washed the bowl and brought it to me. I chopped the celery and but he brought it to me, brought me Mayo, salt, pepper, lemon juice, and the chicken. When I had chopped, grated, measured, he carried it all back and put it in the refrigerator. He turned on the oven and put on the topping. Then, when I asked him to make himself a salad to go with the chicken salad, he said, 

"What all is in that chicken salad?" 

I was speechless. I told him I would surprise him. He accepted that. He does not mind at all helping me so I do not have to stand. I am grateful and thank him profusely. He like this, celery and all.

copied below from practicalparsimony@blogspot.com

I don't remember if I got this from a magazine or someone gave it to me after I tasted it at a church dinner.

Family Circle
Martha Stewart's Hot Chicken Salad

2 cups chopped celery
2 cups chopped chicken or turkey
1 cup mayonnaise (I use 1/2 cup or less)
1/2 slivered almonds (I never use this)
1/2 shredded sharp or mild cheese (I use medium cheddar)
2 tsp lemon juice
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1/2 crushed potato chips

Combine everything but chips. Mix well.
Turn into a buttered casserole.
Sprinkle with crushed chips

Bake at 450 for 20 minutes.

On a busy night this is easy to assemble if chicken is already cooked. I havepre-chopped the celery to hurry the assembly. Sometimes, I chop the chicken or turkey as I put away leftovers of either. The whole casserole can be assembled ahead of time, leaving off the chips. I crush the whole tiny bag of chips.

Less mayo does not affect the taste or texture of anything. almonds are too expensive.

In order not to have chips to tempt me, I buy the little lunchbox size of chips. In the past I have bought the bag that is about 8 inches high. I do not need a regular bag of chips.

Have you ever Martha Stewart's Hot Chicken Salad? 

Tonight, Tommy wanted to watch "The Weakest Link." We did. I just cannot stand that mean woman, Jane Lynch. She is not funny at all to me. Do your like her?


8 comments:

  1. I add a little pickle juice to mine; it gives it a bit of a kick.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Urspo,
      The lemon juice does that for me.

      Delete
    2. that is a good one; I will try that next time.

      Delete
  2. I used to make hot chicken salad regularly. Though it was not a Martha Stewart recipe (way before her fame) it was similar if not the same. We really did enjoy it, but I have not thought of it for years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne,
      I probably have not made this in years. I started making this in the 70s.

      Delete
  3. I need to keep the crushed potato chips Hubby usually dumps in his plate

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never had hot chicken salad, Martha Stewart or otherwise. I don't think it would go over well with my family. Of course I would probably like it; being Midwestern I have an unholy love of casseroles.

    My love of Jane Lynch knows no bounds. I think she's a fabulous actress! I love her role as Sophi Lennon in The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel. I adore her dry, deadpan humor; she delivers caustic lines like nobody's business.

    Jane is just acting when she plays a mean person. She is MEANT to be caustic on Weakest Link, as a reprisal of her role as Sue Sylvester in Glee.

    ReplyDelete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...