Thursday, May 5, 2022

Cooking All Night

 Well, at some point after midnight Tuesday, it seemed that way. I finally finished about 3:30, then had to hang up clothes. Ugh!

I was given two large messes of green beans and a cabbage that needed to be taken care of on Tuesday. There was no room in the refrigerator for either, so I was obligated to take care of at least the green beans that had already started to sweat. THEN, I had to make room in the refrigerator for a small pot and a huge pot of green beans. I was not in a freezing mood.

Since I was exhausted, I needed a nap Tuesday afternoon. When I finally started, the green beans took forever to get ready for the pot!  It was such a huge pot! I had plenty of time, but I am still ill. 

Wednesday, we ate frozen, prepared food given to me--meatloaf and green bean casserole, plus cabbage I cooked on Tuesday. The meatloaf was tolerable, and the green beans were tough. I have never eaten a tough green bean until today. 

I also was given--pig tails, a pork loin, tiny package of thin turkey slices, sandwich rounds, loaf of bread, sweet potatoes, oranges, salad greens, and zucchini. My friend's dog gets the pig tails. 

Speaking of dogs, the dogs next door bark, but are so far away and have not barked at a time to wake me or cause me to lose sleep. 

Dillon still wears the purplish shirt. AND, John Wayne wore the same color shirt in Rio Bravo. What is this with men in the West wearing these pinkish purplish shirts?

Wednesday night, we spent time with me washing all these plastic snap lock seals for the glass storage and baking dishes. How did we get 30 seals dirty???  I wash, he dries. I froze 4 one-pint bags with ground beef. There was enough leftovers for dinner tomorrow night. 

I thought Tommy might moan or balk at more cabbage cooked. But, he suggested it to eat with the prepared dinner tonight. That man loves cabbage. For the first time, I put no salt on it. Neither did he. I am slowly moving him away from sodium! When I first moved here, he would have salted the cabbage so much it would be all white and grainy. 

When we took a drive around the neighborhood, we saw a Border Collie, one of our favorite dogs in the neighborhood out near the fence in his yard. There was a Styrofoam cup outside the chain link fence. The dog had a leg through the fence pawing towards the cup, trying to get the cup. I have never seen any dog put its leg through a chain link fence, trying to grab something. Cute! 

We keep up with the dogs. Who has a new dog friend. Who has a new dog house. Who is looking old. Who has fleas. Who is lying in the sun. Do you ever see and note changes in the lives of dogs on a drive?

Thursday, we are set to have our first 90F day. I love it. 


9 comments:

  1. It sounds like you must have just about worn yourself out with all of the cooking you did. Think how easy it will be to pull something good out of the freezer and have plenty of delicious food for dinner. I love cabbage, but always have a struggle remembering to fix before it deteriorates, and cabbage lasts along time before going bad. I am just very forgetful,and I have to store it in the crisper drawer where it is out of sight and out of mind.
    I have some swelling in my legs, but because I take a water pill, I am almost always low on sodium on my blood tests,sometimes I am low on sodium and chloride, and when that happens it is usually during a time when I have not been feeling well at all. I don't put too much salt on my foods, but I don't purposely buy low sodium foods either.
    I was wondering how you were going to cook pig tails, I think you found an easy solution to that situation. Do pig tails have bones in them or just cartilage and a bit of meat? I was never able to give any dogs we had bones. They would either fight over them, or choke on them,or splinter them off and make them dangerous. I looked out the back door one time when we had our Sheltie and the neighbor had given him a pork chop bone and he had it caught crossways in his mouth and partway down his throat. I had a heck of a time getting it out of his mouth/throat. It was really wedged.
    I was scanning through tv channels the other day and I did catch a glimpse of Matt Dillon in his pinkish purple shirt. I wonder why they did pick that color.
    Get some rest after your cooking marathon, you deserve it. Happy Spring!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had left the cabbage on the counter all day so I would not forget to cook it. I left one in the refrigerator so long, it dried out. Tommy had pushed it back. I have to have him get things from the bottom of the refrigerator as I cannot get down that far.
      Getting dinner from the freezer is sublime! There are so many things in there right now. Occasionally things are overwhelming, and it helps to pull things out and eat a good meal.
      I have no idea about pig's tails. I wondered, too. They were disgusting looking. So, I am glad I am not cooking them for a dog. I could have cooked them for my chickens when I had them. They would have loved meat.
      My friend found a dog at the track with a bone crossways in his mouth. He had ripped his lips open trying to claw it out. Finally, the dog freed it after two people tried to help and could not. It sounded scary.
      That pinkish purplish shirt causes me to think too much...lol.

      Delete
  2. I am buried in asparagus. I now have 52 "meals" in the freezer of it and have 12 pints of dill asparagus and 12 pints of bread and butter asparagus. Have ate it nightly for over a week. Sent two sacks every other day to Amish neighbor (theirs is now starting to come on) and they passed some of it to another neighbor. SIGH

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chef,
      I wish I had any produce from my garden. That is a lot of freezing and many great meals.

      Delete
    2. Chef Owings that is a wonderful problem to have! I know it's a ton of work to process all that, but I envy you!

      Delete
  3. Yikes!! Pig tails? REAL, curly, straight-from-the-backside pig tails? Skinned or not?
    What are you gonna do with them?
    I remember that Mary and Laura Ingalls roasted them on sticks over a fire and gnawed the meat from the bones. Are you & Tommy gonna build a fire in the front yard and do the same? LOL!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue,
      The pig tails were about six inches long, thick and tapered to a point. Yuck. I gave them away. I cannot even think about gnawing on them or I will retch...ugh.

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...