Thursday, May 5, 2022

Laundry Fail, Pork Loin, Flowers

 Tommy wanted to go and have his oil changed Thursday and asked me what time I wanted to get up--"11 am." Well, that was a mistake since I could not sleep until 8 am. I was too keyed up, I suppose, from cooking and being busy so late. Or, whatever. 

I felt awful. But, I ate breakfast and dressed and was like a zombie going to the car. I had to hold on with both hands to get down the ramp. 

The oil change was quick because there was no one ahead of us. That was a relief. Tommy wanted to get Big Macs, so we did. 

Lowe's was in my sights. The only thing I found that I wanted to buy was two hanging brackets and a six-pack of Wave Petunias. I got outside and realized I bought the wrong color, sort of peachy when I wanted pink! They will go in my big wire chicken. 

At home, I needed to nap but was too tired. I watched the news, folded my towels and washcloths. Then I cut six zucchini in large pieces, peeled four red potatoes, put all in a cooking bag and plopped an Apple Bourbon pork loin on top. It is in the oven cooking right now. That's dinner for two days. The pork loin was small, but maybe there will be some of it left for one of us to eat for a dinner. It might go in the freezer. 

The potatoes I just peeled are beautiful, not a rotten spot or little black spot in the four for dinners. I just bought red potatoes for $4.99 for five pounds. That price will be cheap considering how many rotten potatoes I threw away. At last.

Tommy watched me put the vegetables and loin into the cooking bag. He also saw I put no seasoning on the vegetables. I know the meat seasoning will be all we need. He is seeing things my way on less sodium on our food. I keep reading him excerpts from Salt Wars by Jacobson. 

A jacket in a load of black laundry had a tissue that shredded all over everything. UGH! Tommy took it all out and picked off the residue and shook the pieces. I was very aware of needing to check the pants pockets and did. Why not the jacket? Because I am exhausted.

I quit using the inhalers because I was afraid they were adversely affecting me. I was a bit better when I stopped and have not regressed. So, hopefully, I will continue to improve...well, if I can get some sleep.

Nothing, seeds or bedding plants or flowers have been planted. I am afraid to get out the little greenhouse and use it because of the dirt I would subject myself to breathing. I may look out through the door and tell Tommy how and where to put dirt and how to plant and transplant. When I guide him, somehow he does not feel he is gardening. Same with the cooking. 

Rats! I forgot to put a red onion in the cooking bag. And, the potatoes are cooking unpeeled. Tommy hates them unpeeled. But, he can peel it on his plate.

What are you going to plant this weekend or planted last weekend? Do you like potatoes with the peels on? 



22 comments:

  1. I eat potato, skin on or off. I saw somebody on tv mash it with skin on and thought it would be terrible but it's very acceptable and less preparation suits me! more vitamins too

    I doubt I will plant anything, I'm not a gardener. I probably should be

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. kylie,
      I love potatoes, too. I actually think potatoes with skins on and mashed are better than peeled potatoes mashed. If you are not a gardener, don't worry.

      Delete
  2. We planted Rose of Sharon and Catmint last weekend. I do like potatoes with skins on, and skins off, and baked, and mashed, and...well, I just like potatoes, period!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Breenlantern,
      I love Rose of Sharon. What color did you plant? Potatoes are wonderful, aren't they?

      Delete
  3. Big Macs after an oil change? Tommy knows exactly what a situation calls for! I haven't had one in ages. I'll probably obsess over it all day.

    So now I will have to give YOU a terrible (meaning wonderful) idea. Have you ever had the Maple Bacon Chicken Breakfast Sandwich at Wendy's? Oh. My. Word. Nirvana in a bun.

    Would working in your greenhouse while wearing a COVID mask help the dust/dirt problem?

    Your Apple Bourbon pork loin dinner sounds so delicious! I like to buy those 1 lb marinated pork loins on sale to make Cubano sandwiches.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The little greenhouse is about 12 inches square. It would be on my lap.

      We don't eat breakfast sandwiches because he hates eggs and I hate egg substitutes or any egg I don't cook. This pork loin was so tiny, it might have been a one pound loin.

      One time, I put bacon in the skillet, poured maple syrup over it, and cooked low and slow. It was delicious.

      Delete
    2. Ah, but Wendy's Maple Bacon Chicken Croissants don't contain eggs! They are nothing but chicken, bacon slices, and maple syrup.

      I just had one this morning because: Mother's Day. OMG I am in heaven. I added extra maple syrup at home and my head nearly exploded with delight.

      I don't know why they don't serve them all day long, they are so good!

      Happy Mother's Day to you, Linda, and to all the moms who read here!!

      Delete
    3. Sue,
      No eggs would work. I could come home and put scrambled eggs on the sandwich. Happy Mother's Day to you.

      Delete
  4. I have learned that if you buy the Kleenex brand tissues instead of another brand, they won't disintegrate all over everything if you accidentally get them in a wash load. Instead, they just wad up. I am careful to buy only Kleenex for that reason as I often overlook a tissue in a pocket.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carole,
      That would be worth the cost. Thanks! I may have used a fast-food napkin. Those disintegrate while wiping hands or mouth.

      Delete
  5. I like potatoes with peels on sometimes. I'm stilling rolling with the greenhouses till the end of May..things are growing good so far. I read your comment about bacon and syrup...sounds so good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vickie,
      Potatoes are just good! I wish I had a greenhouse. If I had marinated the bacon in maple syrup overnight, I might have been better, then baked it in syrup.

      Delete
  6. I will eat potatoes no matter how they are cooked.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm not sure if I like them peeled or unpeeled. I hate to peel them, sos I eat them unpeeled.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jan,
      If it weren't for the rotted places and little black spots in the potatoes lately, I would not have peeled them. The older I get, the worse I hate peeling potatoes.

      Delete
  8. If you put the clothes that have wet tissues all over them into the dryer, they rub off the clothes as they tumble and go into the lint catcher. You may also have to wipe tissue bits out of the washer drum, but a dish towel or rag will do the trick.

    We use Kleenex exclusively in our house, and that stuff shreds in the wash like any other tissue. I never get a nice, neat wad when the fam leaves tissues in their pockets!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know all about putting the clothes in the dryer. But, his dryer only has one setting--a timer and an ON button. It is so hot it would ruin anything. There is no air or cool setting. I wish I could just put them in the dryer! He has had the dryer for 42 years. If it dies, he WILL get one with at least a thermostat.

      Delete
  9. I had no idea Tommy's dryer only had 2 settings; Off & Incinerate. No wonder you hung the clothes!
    For a second I thought you wrote, "If he dies, he WILL get one..." I wondered how he was going to manage that. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue,
      He kept telling me he could not set it for anything but HOT and I did not believe him. I could stuff his cold body in his dryer and avoid the cost of commercially incinerating him. I had no idea that any dryer was made without settings to control the heat.

      Delete
  10. yes yes yes to the peels; they have vitamins in them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Spo,
      I love the peeling on lots of fruits and vegetable, but I have to limit fiber. And, I hate missing out on the vitamins.

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...