Saturday, May 14, 2022

Saturday Missionaries Visit & Linda Goes Yard Sale-ing

 It has been a busy morning here. I was going to get up at 9 am but since I awoke at 7:30, I could not sleep or rest knowing they were coming. 

One brought in the ladder from the carport at Tommy's request. We gave them masks to wear in our house. They emptied cabinets of all contents. Now, we have boxes of stuff stacked in the kitchen. Thankfully, all cabinets at the ceiling were empty. Easily, the most tedious task of all was peeling off the stick-on shelf paper. Strangely, only the three sets of cabinets to the left of the sink had shelf paper. The set of cabinets with glass doors had shelf paper on the sides of the cabinets. The paper from the first two cabinets peeled off easily. The shelf where I put spices, vinegar and general foods was hardest to remove and required a knife to peel it up to finally start it peeling. They used ample soapy water and a brush after the shelf paper was finally off. 

We had more than enough empty boxes to put the contents into for storing on the floor until we can empty them back into cabinets or the trash. ugh. Thankfully, Tommy stayed out of the kitchen since he could not get in there anyway. So, Sunday when the shelves dry, we can put down shelf paper. Now, we can throw out these boxes. There are still numerous boxes here, so these can go. 

Yes, they did find parts of dead roaches. At least, that is what they said they were finding. And, I assured them that the stuff they were wiping out was roach poop! They did not know what roach poop looked like. Now, they do!

There is shelf paper here that I bought for something else, sort of white and gray marble. I need light in these cabinets, so it will work. I really want to start today, so stuff will be available to use to cook. However, I have leftovers--pork loin, carrots, potatoes, and green beans. And, there is a pair of hamburgers thawed for tomorrow. 

The hummingbirds have not come back since the initial sighting. The sugar water was old that day, so I wonder if she told everyone not to come here. My friend has seen no hummers, either, other than the one Tommy saw at her house. I need to change the nectar again as soon as the new batch is cool. 

Since I put up the shepherd's crooks last year, I have seen a bird or two land on them. But, since I hung the baskets of flowers, birds are flocking here. I love it. Of course, there is now bird poop on the rail of the ramp. Thankfully, they don't land and poop on the side I use. 

One day, I saw a mockingbird pecking the inside of the Wave Petunias. I wonder what was he pecking? Eating a bug he saw? 

The dogs next door barked at 6:30 and had dozens of dogs all over the neighborhood barking for thirty minutes! Of course, I could not go to sleep again. 

One missionary was 18 and the other 20. One was from Colorado and the other from Wyoming. A car and an apartment is supplied. That is all I know...lol. 

I went to the yard sale and sat out front in the car, looking it over. I feel bad when I do this. It feels like I am judging and not giving them a chance. But, I cannot get out the spare her feeling. We left.

Then, we went to another part of town. It looked like a great sale. It was when I got out. But, there was no clue as to the price on anything at all. I glanced around and asked who knew the prices. Someone said the woman sitting down. Well, customers were surrounding her. Besides, I don't easily turn. She came over and could not hear me. No one complains I am not loud enough! Well, it turns out she has a hearing problem. Besides, she was a bit passive-aggressive. When I held something up and said, "What is the price?" she asked me what I said. I held the item up more and yelled. "PRICE?" She said, "Do you want to know the price?" I nodded and said, "YES, PRICE?" She finally deigned to give me the price. 

When I was looking at her books, she brought me a box to put them in. I told her I could not carry a box of books. She volunteered to carry the box for me when I filled it with books. Well, I carried 3 books to the table and decided I only wanted two. So, like an idiot, I gave her two quarters. The books were 50 c each! I was embarrassed and apologize and handed over another two quarters. I bought Conscious Classroom Management and Much Ado About Nothing. 

As I turned to leave, I saw a pretty blue and white striped, canvass tote/purse. So, I spent another $1 for a total of $2 at this yard sale.  

Before we left for the garage sale, I had to get together some money. Tommy gave me $7 and I came up with $2 and 10 quarters. So, I spent none of his money at yard sales, so I need to repay nothing, thankfully.

We went to Bessemer and looked at the homes. Some have burned, one to the ground, most partially gutted by fire, some historic homes are in seemingly perfect conditions. Some homes, ancient and others fairly new, are becoming shabby. 

We then stopped at a place that had something about "hope" in the title. It was a strange place. The signs all said "3 free with $5 donation." I bought a Mounds Bar to share with Tommy. As I left, I saw a supplement the doctor told me to take. It was in date. I wanted the last three boxes. Well, most things only had 6 or less boxes. 

Each bottle costs me $16.88 elsewhere. So, for $5, I bought $50.64 of merchandise. That is a savings of $45.64! I will go back there again! Someday, when I am fresher and less worn from the day or previous walking, I will visit this place again. Plus, this woman showed me where her sister has a liquidation store. YAY!

About two blocks from the entrance to our neighborhood, it started to rain, big fat drops. Finally, at the house, it was smaller drops. When I came in, I put the half dead wave petunias in the rain. The thing perked right up. It just wanted rain. The other two hanging baskets fluffed right up even after Tommy had watered it this morning. Plants like rain better than hard water with fluoride! 

At 5:45 pm, I saw a hummingbird, drinking long at one of the feeders. Now, I am quite sure they are back! The weather was beautiful all week long, as Anne noted. About 7:15, a hummer came back and spent a long time here. 

Saturday was excellent, happy all the way. 

What did you do that was interesting, fun, unusual, or frugal?



8 comments:

  1. I am so happy to hear that the missionaries showed up and helped you in the kitchen. Taking everything out and cleaning are the worst parts of the job. Your new shelf paper sounds pretty, Now, you can take the time to think about where you want to put things and make things comfortable to reach. When my son and his now wife lived here, my sister came over and helped my soon to be DIL rearrange my kitchen, Big mistake, they got rid of many things I would have kept, They also put things I needed for regular use up high so I could not reach them. They only thought of what they would need or do. Now I am here alone, I have rearranged things to my desire. I had lost my husband a few years prior and for some strange reason thought I did not need some of my things. Did they not think if might be nice to ask me if there were things I needed to keep, some for my needs and some for sentimental reasons. This was the time my recipe box vanished. No one will be allowed anymore to go thru my things until I am dead and gone.

    I hate it when I go to a garage or estate sale and things are not marked with a price. Do we go to any other place, the grocery or the mall, things are marked with a price. I just want to be able to see what the price is and if it will work for me. I am not above a haggle but I want to know the listed/starting price is. One thing I have learned that if the price at an estate sale is not what I want to pay, I can leave an offer of my amount with my name and phone number. Often is they don't get what they want, they will call and accept you offer.

    The dogs barking, still confusing to me as I don't allow my dogs to do that. Last night I tried to go to bed early as I was not feeling well.
    My two littles sleep with me, the big 80# dog has a bed in the den. Big dog could not settle and kept barking, When he barks the two littles think something is happening so they join in. I kept calling to big boy to settle down but it did not stop. I finally got up to check the front and back yard. Turns out a neighbor had their dog out who was barking up a storm. I could not hear it but my big boy could and was beside himself. Finally after an hour or more, got mine settled. I was waiting for the police to knock on my door saying there was a complaint about dogs barking. Well it was not mine nor will it ever be. I have lived here for 30 years and only had one complaint about my dogs. It is important to me to be a good and thoughtful neighbor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A guy around the block would help me. But, I found out he threw away things I did not tell him to throw away. He threw away antiques, a pellet gun, different things. He asked if he could recycle a plastic bag. I said he could and did not watch him. The next day I needed a plastic grocery bag and he had taken the bag of bags! I did not have one plastic bag left in my kitchen. Nope, no one "helps" me without my watching like a hawk.

      I hate people who help and put things where I cannot reach them or hide them from me. No, I don't ask these people, they just try to walk all over me.
      It does drive me crazy when there are no prices and no one walking around to help, either.
      Barking dogs are the worst!

      Delete
  2. Are you heading back to the head of a classroom, or just reviewing techniques? It sounds like the missionary men did a good task for you and as you wanted it done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SAM,
      LOL...I never took Classroom Management and just wondered what is out there. I have a friend who might benefit from what I find. We are very happy with the results and will ask for help again.

      Delete
  3. I enjoy reading about your daily doings. My weekend wasn't so interesting: clean the pool and get a haircut and go to Costco.

    ReplyDelete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...