Wednesday, June 1, 2022

How We Work

 I don't want to write. I had a very upsetting and insulting call to my cardiologist office on Tuesday. Writing about it will come later. But, it is still eating at me, the disrespect, accusations. 

The way Tommy and I "work" is different. I told Tommy to remind me at the next commercial break so we could hurry into the kitchen and put away cans of chicken. He did and I told him to go ahead and get out of my way. He knew I cannot get past the walker if he is in the position he needs to be to help me. But, sometimes he waits on me to "make sure I am coming."

"Hurry" is a relative term. We both have to get to our feet and Tommy has to get to his walker. We struggle and are slow even with the lift chairs and Tommy's walker is beyond his reach because of the leg rest going up when he sits. I have to wait for the chair to lift me, too. Then, I just wobble off to the kitchen. I try to hurry, but that can cause me to get more wobbly. I do get less wobbly as my legs adjust. 

Eight 15-ounce cans of chicken, like large tuna, maybe 12 ounces, have been sitting in front of the microwave in the way since Tuesday. I had him sort chicken in the hall closet and get out anything for 2021 and 2022 so we can use those before the year is up. We had no 2021. 

I cannot get them to the shelves unless I keep walking back to the counter carrying one can at a time. So, he handed them to me one at a time and the job was done in one-tenth of the time it would have taken me alone. Neither us had to move, just stretch a bit. 

In order to use these cans up by the end of the year, I decided to make chicken salad or pasta salad for lunches. Tommy informed me he does not think of pasta salad as a lunch option, so he won't be eating it at all. Apparently, he does not want it for dinner either...sigh. However, this means I won't have to share. And, I can put celery in it. I know I have seen him eat pasta salad here and cannot remember on what occasion. 

So, we work, just less often, less vigorously, and differently. Of course, this all happens to all of us over time. But, it is getting very different here. Full on canning all day long has given way to small batch canning of pints, etc. 

We didn't miss one word of Gunsmoke by working together during a commercial! Plus, I could not have done much more, anyway, since my back was hurting with all the bending I had to do. Something heavy needs to go on bottom shelves. Also, we won't be using chicken daily. 

No matter your age, how have your work habits changed over the years? 

8 comments:

  1. Work smart - not harder. Sounds like you have figured it out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheryl,
      It is just the only way we can work and get things done.

      Delete
  2. It is amazing how much you can get done in just a few minutes. Your chicken pasta salad sounds great. What type of dressing do you use or is it your much loved miracle whip?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Texasm
      Considering how hard it would be for either of us to do the job, it was not only fast but easier on the body. I am considering using the "expired" Suddenly Salad. I never use as much mayo as it calls for, subbing milk. And, I certainly would not use all the seasoning pack from the SS. If I use MW that would be delicious. I would also add sweet gherkins and dill chips, both chopped small, and maybe chopped onion and grape tomatoes, halved. I have tri-color rotini that might tempt him.

      Delete
  3. I would use it and the other things as well. Once you have it done and chilled, I would take a spoonful to Tommy. Say "just taste it to make sure I used the right amount of seasoning." I will bet that he will make a fast track to the kitchen! LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Texas,
      He will never just taste a spoonful of everything. He examines it like I am trying to poison him, looking it over and questioning. Most men just take the spoonful and eat it. If it something iffy, he just eats it--like a spoonful of cinnamon or a freshly pulled turnip, still dirty from the ground.

      Delete
  4. It is nice to have someone to share the workload. I love canned chicken mixed with mayo and Parmesan. I also had onions and or celery if I have time.

    Sassybear
    https://idleeyesandadormy.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Breenlantern,
      I cannot do it all and he has no idea how! I have never used canned chicken to make a salad. And, I would not expect to put Parmesan in it. But, I can try it. Celery is worth making the time.

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...